Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Arabian View Post
    Okay, I have FINALLY finished watching and reviewing the 50+ entries.
    48 entries we can vote on, right? Not 50+.

I'm two-thirds through the lot and I'm very impressed. One problem I noticed many of the filmmakers are having is recording and mixing sound. I don't know whether to look past it because many aspiring filmmakers don't have the greenbacks to get a good microphone, a boom pole, cables and software to mix the whole thing together.

...or is the technical essence a big part of telling a story in an engaging, entertaining way.

Some the technically weaker shorts are engaging yet lost some luster without better sound.

2. Collapse Details
    Just vote for what you think were the top three films, man. If sound is important to you, it will factor into your decision. If story is paramount to you, it will factor into your decision, etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line, just vote for who you genuinely think made the 3 best films. Anything less (in my opinion) is a disservice to the site, the sponsors of the fest, the members, and the folks who put in their hard work and put their work out there for us to see. I'm sure most people would agree with that and hopefully do that when it comes time to punch the ballot.

later,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    Bottom line, just vote for who you genuinely think made the 3 best films. Anything less (in my opinion) is a disservice to the site, the sponsors of the fest, the members, and the folks who put in their hard work and put their work out there for us to see. I'm sure most people would agree with that and hopefully do that when it comes time to punch the ballot.
    Sounds good to me. I couldn't help myself. Sorry.

4. Collapse Details
    Everyone, please vote. We need as varied and wide a statistical sample as we can get. There are so many great entries, we need the membership to step up and cast their votes.

As for letting elements color your vote, the way I've always approached it is as a total package. If I flat-out loved the experience I rank it highly. If some technical shortcoming ruined the experience I rank it lower. But it's the overall impact, the overall effect, that determines how I hang the particular chad.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    Bottom line, just vote for who you genuinely think made the 3 best films. Anything less (in my opinion) is a disservice to the site, the sponsors of the fest, the members, and the folks who put in their hard work and put their work out there for us to see.
    Oh, hear hear! Absolutely. Please cast your vote for the best film, not for your friend's film or a film you worked on (unless, of course, that particular film is unquestionably the best!)

Let's cast votes, but let's cast them for the best films.

6. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    I watched every single one and found my top three. After a while it was easy to watch as audience instead of a filmmaker and that really changed the way I was watching. In fact, I had to go back and rewatch some of them because of that bias.
    Wow!what an amazing body of work we have in this fest. Gonna have to really step things up for the next one!

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12