Thread: The Camera

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You did it!! Right on ... I like it; looks amazing. Cutesy and very 2/14 day! 8-D Giv' 'em bra . . .

2. Collapse Details
    You did a pretty good job and had a nice story, but the technical problems really distract a lot, especially the jump cutting and sound jumping all over the place with every cut. On the story side, his dream about finding her with the other guy, wouldn't it make more sense to say... kill the other guy or do something driven by his emotion at that point? Getting hit by a car just comes out of no where and doesn't really add anything. That's telling the audience "hope these pictures aren't what they look like or the main character gets hit by a car in an unhappy accident". When really, the car accident can just as easily happen under any conditions.

The shot I liked most was the one of the bus taking off through the front window.
    Acting was okay.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

3. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Hey Toite,

Do you have another cut of this with the technical issues fixed? I honestly wouldn't want to formulate thoughts and opinions when technical issues jump out like that. It's not fair to the content, to me.

I'll reserve thoughts til some stuff gets fixed on this one.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

4. Collapse Details
    Totite, just watched your film.

Nice job.

I have to tell you that the sound is a real issue. There is dialogue out of alignment with the footage throughout and then there is the issue of only dialogue/sound coming from the left speaker! Very distracting.

The actual story is cute and worth watching. However, I feel that you could give your viewers a much more pleasant experience with some additional shots. Everything is a master shot. I would love to see some reverses. Get that camera on the peoples faces!

I don't know your experience at all. But I hope that you had a good time and learned a lot. It takes these experiences to really learn what the hell we are doing! LOL!

Lighting was very dark. Especially at the bus stop. I am sure that you probably shot this run-n-gun style... I just wish you found a bus stop with better lighting!

Lot's of thing for you to take away from this. The most important thing is that you made a film and submitted it! There are MANY who don't.

Congrats to you!

Best,
    Ted

5. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    I would really just echo a lot of the above if I were to write a review. I think you know about all the unfortunate issues with this one. Some bad edits of the same shot as well. Shoot everything from different angles and mix and match.

Now... I did like a lot of your shot choices and I thought the ending was pretty good.

Cheers,

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

6. Collapse Details
    Congratulations on completing the film.

As others have mentioned, it's a little rough around the edges technically - the audio, the framing, the jump cuts.

Still, you managed to get it done in time, which is more than I can say.

7. Collapse Details
    The audio was way off on my copy That really annoyed.
    I thought it was cool that you filmed on the bus and I liked the street locations. I thought the two women actresses did a good job. That said, the story was a bit far fetched. And you need to find a way to sync the audio.
    Thanks for filming.

8. Collapse Details
    nice film.

audio and editing issues are there and already spoken about in previous reviews.

so... i love the bus scene idea. moving your film out and about is cool. and the lead wasnt all too bad. bumping into the stranger before the bus arrived didnt look too authentic though. and the story is okay, but what are the odds of finding his girlfriend's twin's lost camera? kinda hard to believe. maybe make it so the girlfriend left it at his apartment and he was on his way to return it or something? just my thoughts... congrats on your film! thanks.

9. Collapse Details
    Silent Bob's Evil Twin Dustin R. Rogan's Avatar
    Being Honest, It was very difficult to watch...Jump cuts really annoy me. I guess that me being a television technical director for a living. I also didn't believe the girlfriends acting, seemed fake and hard to believe. Audio on the bus was off. But I'll say that you completed the short and I could follow the story seemed kinda weak though.
    DVXuser Entries
    Secret Admiration | Given | Redemption | Invaild Directive | The Dustin Rogan Project | The Five Worst Days in the Life of Bartholmeow Saxton | Sleep Walk | Melody for Alleyraine | The Gift | Polly | Mundane | Beans

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohanto View Post
    You did a pretty good job and had a nice story, but the technical problems really distract a lot, especially the jump cutting and sound jumping all over the place with every cut. On the story side, his dream about finding her with the other guy, wouldn't it make more sense to say... kill the other guy or do something driven by his emotion at that point? Getting hit by a car just comes out of no where and doesn't really add anything. That's telling the audience "hope these pictures aren't what they look like or the main character gets hit by a car in an unhappy accident". When really, the car accident can just as easily happen under any conditions.

The shot I liked most was the one of the bus taking off through the front window.
    Acting was okay.
    Thanks for reviewing the movie. About the story, I wanted the movie to have a positive tone so I didn't want the actors to kill each other. The car accident was also supposed to make the movie a little bit funny but I guess it wasn't funny enough for you And yes the audio is a big problem. Larry actually asked me if I could fix it before the deadline but I didn't have enough time. The problem seems to come from .Net version in my PC and the 24p pull-down removal method that I was using. I'll try to fix the audio later in the director cut version

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast