Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Good stuff James.. There's always different sides to the story and not all of us would have to agree on everything..

2. Collapse Details
    Glad you are having good luck with it James.

You mention you will be testing with a Merlin soon. Do you have a Merlin (curious why you bought the Modo Steady if you have one, that's all) ?

The "gimbal" in the Modo Steady is NOTHING like a real gimbal in the Merlin, The Modo's gimbal is a ball-socket joint, and that's it. The very fact that you can lock it goes against the entire principle of isolation that is the very heart of camera stabilization.
    If you watch Manfrotto's Modo Steady demo videos on their site, you'll see all the operators steering the camera form the handle - meaning that their control movements (and therefore shake movements) are passing straight through the gimbal to the camera.
    Like a point-and-shoot disposable camera, when you first pick it up, it seems intuitive, but it's really nothing like the proper thing that provides professional results.

I don't recall what cameras were on the units I tested at IBC ... some small handycam things.

I look forwards to your comparison test James. I'm interested to see how the units compare side-by-side in someone else's hands. Multiple viewpoints are always good.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

3. Collapse Details
    Even IF James is coming up with a test.., I advice MANFROTTO to sell the Modosteady to Matell ( you know: 'My little Pony'). It is no good for the name, and other advice is to print the name 'Manfrotto' with a 1 point font -that is very small..!- on there next shipment of modosteady toys.

You know, building up a brand is a slow process, but burning it to the ground is going very fast...
    Look outside...Do you see noise?

4. Collapse Details
    It works well.
    I have the manfrotto for the hv20, the merlin for xh-a1.

5. Collapse Details
    James, don't forget the videos

6. Collapse Details
    Just got one of these and I have to say that for the HV20, they are perfect.
    As James already expressed, it works really well and if you are looking for the alternative stabiliser for your HV20, I'd say the Modo is a must.
    The only thing that I would say at this point is because the handle actually splits up into a Table top tripod, the joint nearest to the top of the handle has a tendency to have slight movement in it and could be a bit tighter for stabilisation purposes. Alas I have found and excellent solution for that one minor shortcoming...Gaffer Tape :-)
    Overall, pretty impressive.

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, someone agree's with me. Thank You!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James in HD View Post
    Yes, someone agree's with me. Thank You!
    LOL James, I dont know why but there seems to be a lot of people who are negative right from the get go concerning this item.
    I pretty did the same thing you did, looked at the information online and made the decision that this little stabiliser would be good enough for my purposes. It seems the gamble paid off :-) Maybe some feel a little insecure that they have spent a great deal more and must somehow justify the expense. For me, the cost of other solutions far outweighed the results when you consider the price of the camcorder to begin with.

9. Collapse Details
    I'm pretty convinced now. I'm going to get one sometime soon.

10. Collapse Details
    Maybe some feel a little insecure that they have spent a great deal more and must somehow justify the expense.
    Instead of making wild assumtions it would be much more helpful to post sample footage to proof your point. I have no doubt that the Modo might be somewhat useful as is every monopod with added weight on the bottom. But from what Ive seen on their website the design looks extremely flimsy and it makes me wonder if you can actually trim it properly. Meaning that you can balance it in a way that you put the gimble on a table and the camera stays straight and stable like you can with the Merlin. And so far Mikko made the most helpful comment by pointing out that the gimble designs are very different which results in diffrent handling. So, please, if it works great for you, let us see how you use it and what you can achieve with it instead of attacking other people with a different experience (and professional background).
    Thanks,
    Matthias

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast