Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Musing on technology group think.

I see a repeating pattern of thought and behavior on most forums. Yes, MOST forums- and it seems to be most vociferous when it comes to discussions of gear versus process, technique or philosophy. This pattern ranges from mindless group-think to fanaticism and right up to wreck-less propagandization and totalitarianism. At its roots is personal and professional insecurity. The root cause is invariably Moore's Law in action.
    In 2005, a camera like the HV20 was considered a pipedream and when it first came out it was snickered at by 'The Pros' as a consumer toy- suitable for merchandising by MatteŽ. The latest (2009-2010) iterations of Full HD 'consumer' video cameras have put 'The Pros' on notice.
    People with the 'Big Guns' gear, disdain the idea that their hard fought-for and hard earned 'toy chest' of pricey equipment can so quickly become marginalized by PROGRESS in engineering. This 'problem' in performance diffrentiation didn't exist back in the days when Beta was so far ahead of S-VHS that a decade or more would pass before a viable competitor had to be feared. HD nearly killed Beta and eventually it will finish it off.
    I see that pattern everywhere in our society stretching back to when the Japanese dropped sub-compact cars onto American soil in the mid 70's. That lesson hasn't been easy to cope with has it. But it's a fact. Progress in Japanese and other foreign automotive design, killed the US car industry. Progress will mean that a 'Merlin' like device can be introduced for the suitable weight camera and user expectations that match the pricepoint. I emphasis 'user expectations'.
    I have a stabilizer in the works (very back burner ) that if it succeeds will be a new approach, a cheaper approach and it will only work with camera below a certain weight. And it willbe effective within its intended context of use.
    Should I abandon my research because a Cabal of devoted Steadicam users feel that you can't beat a Merlin or full Gyro-based stabilizer?
    Hardly.
    Look what Igus-based (Zaza, PortaDolly, Glidecam etc) sliders and Indislider have done to the notion that you need to lay down tracks to get an effective dolly move.

I'll get one of the Manfrottos and try it out.
    Truth is, you could attach a camera to a sack of flour (beanbag) and holding that from below end up with MUCH more stable shots that holding the camera itself.

Some fundamental principles are at work that have nothing to do with Merlin per se.
    Xcuse me, but I'm off to redesign the handgun - an arcane design that is 400 years overdue for a makeover.

2. Collapse Details
    just bought it last night, trying it with the GH1 and 20mm 1.7

So far all I can say is I need the OIS for this thing.

I don't even have a kit lens
    https://www.Psynema.com Visit Psynema.com to see a few of my video productions, especially if you're from Philadelphia and need a hand on your next production. I use Adobe CC Premiere and After Effects, Glidecam, and I have a screenplay pilot in I'm trying to produce as well.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    Cabal of devoted Steadicam users feel that you can't beat a Merlin or full Gyro-based stabilizer?
    Just to prevent the continuing spread of this myth: There are no Gyros in a "full size" Steadicam type stabilizer. Sometimes (very rarely, and in only very specific circumstances) gyro's ares mounted to a Steadicam to provide added inertial resistance. But in no way are Steadicams "based" on Gyros.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

4. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psynema View Post
    just bought it last night, trying it with the GH1 and 20mm 1.7

So far all I can say is I need the OIS for this thing.

I don't even have a kit lens
    A OIS is for non moving shots only, especially on a photo camera.

Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

5. Collapse Details
    Will the modosteady work with the canon 550d dslr? Anyone tried it? I need it basically for usage with the KIT and PRIME lenses.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456