Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ultimately yes, it's the fault of Apple for insisting on converting away from the native file format when no other editor makes you do that. However, that's completely overcomable on both sides -- on the Apple side you can use Raylight and edit the native MXFs and never run into this again. Or, on the Windows side, now that the damage is done, you can use the Raylight Quicktime Decoder and access the Quicktime DVCPRO-HD files.

So either way Marcus can bail you out.

2. Collapse Details
    Hey guys, I just picked up Raylight Encoder Pro and I like what it does so far. I have a question. I shot 720P 24PN HVX footage that was ingested into FCP. So now it's Apple DVCPro HD quicktimes right?

I need to edit this stuff in Vegas 7. The QT files in Vegas read:

Video: 960x720x24, 23.976 fps progressive, Raylight DVCPro HD 720p60
    Audio: 48hz, 16bit Little Endian

According to Raylight's online help, they advise creating a custom project template 1280x720, progressive scan, 1.0 square pixel aspect ratio, 23.976 frame rate.

When I bring the clips onto this Vegas timeline, it's squashed centercut with black bars on each side. So I right click the clip and uncheck "maintain aspect ratio" in properties. It looks okay.

My question is should the timeline properties be 960x720 instead of 1280x720? Also is there an easier way to get the footage tp proper aspect without having to uncheck the ratio box on every single clip? I have hundreds of them!

Mahalo in advance.

Vince
    If can, can, if no can, no can.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vincekeala View Post
    Hey guys, I just picked up Raylight Encoder Pro and I like what it does so far. I have a question. I shot 720P 24PN HVX footage that was ingested into FCP. So now it's Apple DVCPro HD quicktimes right?

I need to edit this stuff in Vegas 7. The QT files in Vegas read:

Video: 960x720x24, 23.976 fps progressive, Raylight DVCPro HD 720p60
    Audio: 48hz, 16bit Little Endian

According to Raylight's online help, they advise creating a custom project template 1280x720, progressive scan, 1.0 square pixel aspect ratio, 23.976 frame rate.

When I bring the clips onto this Vegas timeline, it's squashed centercut with black bars on each side. So I right click the clip and uncheck "maintain aspect ratio" in properties. It looks okay.

My question is should the timeline properties be 960x720 instead of 1280x720? Also is there an easier way to get the footage tp proper aspect without having to uncheck the ratio box on every single clip? I have hundreds of them!

Mahalo in advance.

Vince
    Project settings of 960 x 720, 1.333 Pixel Aspect Ratio is an acceptable way to edit and might have slightly better performance.

To change the PAR for all the clips at once, use a script. There is a free script for that on the DVFilm website: http://dvfilm.com/raylight/raylightTutorial2-5.htm
    contact DVFilm Support for more info
    DVFilm Raylight Decoder http://dvfilm.com/raylight/decoder
    DVFilm Raylight Encoder Pro http://dvfilm.com/raylight/EncoderPro
    DVFilm Raylight X http://dvfilm.com/raylight/X

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mvb View Post
    You mean use the Panasonic decoder in quicktime? Raylight Decoder does this right now in the "Green" mode and it's not trivial. The Panasonic decoder is not a VFW component but a DirectX filter, and you have to set up a filter graph with a custom source filter, the Pan. decoder and a custom sample grabber, and run it as an independent process. And by the way it works completely different in Vista. Having gone through the experience I would actually feel sorry for the Apple programmer that is given that task.
    Okay, so if the freely-distributed and freely available Panasonic codec isn't that easy to hook into Quicktime, then can someone explain why they couldn't use the freely-distributed and freely-available Avid Quicktime codec for Windows?

This can't be rocket science, guys. There are at least two fully free codecs available on the Windows platform. One of 'em is already a Quicktime codec. Surely they could tap into that.

I am quite certain they could do this if they wanted to. I can see why they might not want to (Apple supporting an Avid codec?) but -- that'd be a business decision, not a technical one. And, unfortunately, a business decision that punishes the consumer.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Okay, so if the freely-distributed and freely available Panasonic codec isn't that easy to hook into Quicktime, then can someone explain why they couldn't use the freely-distributed and freely-available Avid Quicktime codec for Windows?
    Much too slow, cannot decode to native frame size, and is made by a competitor.

$95 for Raylight Decoder is just about free and I imagine that is Apple's preferred solution to the problem.

The same thing with Avid and Raylight MXFX, it's cheap, it's off the shelf,
    problem solved.
    DVFilm Raylight Decoder http://dvfilm.com/raylight/decoder
    DVFilm Raylight Encoder Pro http://dvfilm.com/raylight/EncoderPro
    DVFilm Raylight X http://dvfilm.com/raylight/X

6. Collapse Details
    It is slow, I'll grant you. But don't you think Apple should make Quicktime files play on Quicktime?

Using your product is great, I have nothing against your product at all. I just don't understand why people blame Windows or Microsoft or Bill Gates or Space Aliens or anyone else in the world for the fact Quicktime Windows can't deal with Quicktime Mac files...

... in any case, THANK YOU for doing all that you've done to solve these problems of various manufacturers not playing nice with each other! You're truly a hero to the HVX community!

7. Collapse Details
    My guess is that there are some royalty issues or licensing ones with using the DVCProHD codec in something other than a FCP install.

Just a guess. If so, that would be Panasonic's ball park, not Apple's.

8. Collapse Details
    Again, there are already existing free codecs that are freely distributable on the Windows platform. The royalty and licensing issues are solved, the codecs already exist. They just have to tap into them.

They're not GOING to, we know that already. But at least we know that it's an active corporate decision to just not do it, rather than any stumbling block of licensing or royalties or anything like that.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mvb View Post
    $95 for Raylight Decoder is just about free and I imagine that is Apple's preferred solution to the problem.

The same thing with Avid and Raylight MXFX, it's cheap, it's off the shelf,
    problem solved.
    Why would anyone want to just watch DVCPro files... especially for $95?

Don't most of us need to edit / convert them?
    SkippyFX Media | www.skippyfx.com

10. Collapse Details
    The DVCPRO-HD decoder lets you do anything you need to. Watch 'em, convert 'em, edit 'em, whatever.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast