Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Has anyone tested a SD lens on the HPX500?
    Just wondering if anyone has tested a SD lens on the HPX500 and what they found the results to be. Would be interesting to see a comaprison, or just some standard frame grabs from that of a SD lens. I have seen numerous posts saying that SD lenses can produce very acceptable results, even on HD cameras.

ALso, with the HPX500 CAC, would this help when using a SD lens?

Thanks
    Kit
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com
    Sony Nex-7 w/ Multiple Sony E Lenses & Minolta MD Rokkor-X Lenses, 3x RPS Studio 15x15 Softboxes w/ Flos, Cool Lights LED600 fixtures, various hot lights, Tascam Recorder, Audio Technica & Sennheiser Mics, Sony Headphones, Sony Vegas, Sony Laptop. My camera, audio and editing station all fit into a backpack.

2. Collapse Details
    1. I have tried an old fujinon 14x (non-IF) and it was sharper, and had more edge-shapness than the fuji 17x CAC HD lens. I am totally serious and the Letus team witnessed it. There was about 100 lines more res on a res chart over the fujinon HD lens. And if that wasnt enough, there was less CA than the fujinon with CAC!

The difference is more about Broadcast lenses vs "HD" lenses. The canon J series are great and the fujinon A series. Some might tell a difference in HD vs SD glass, and the Lens manufacturers would love to help you, but bottom line.. you clients will never tell the difference.

Mind you this old SD lens was made in the 90's and looks a bit retro.

2.The CAC function only works with designated lenses. You can download CAC files that are for NON-CAC HD lenses, but thats it. It wont help out in the process.

I am open to arguments about this subject, I would love to get to the bottom of this HD vs SD glass thing.

3. Collapse Details
    I have heard the same thing from a DOP out of Baltimore. A QUALITY SD glass he puts on the rental HPX he uses looks great, according to him.....
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

4. Collapse Details
    Wow - suprising, Hunter.

Through my research, it always seems to me that people just "assume" that the HD glass is going to be so much better than SD glass. But from the people that I have heard from and talked to, SD glass can yield very acceptable results. I need to get a couple cameras and don't want to sell a kidney to get into it for the time being.

I really like the fact that you are someone who has actually tested this out. I am not submitting my material for Discovery HD work and my clients will most likely not know much about HD and what it can do. I'm just looking for "acceptable" results. We're not going to show anyone any side by side footage with a super high end camera. This is all they're going to see. If it will produce a fairly clear image, that's all I am concerned with.

Hunter, if you have any other insight into how SD lenses on the HPX500 will look in final footage, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks buddy.
    Kit
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com
    Sony Nex-7 w/ Multiple Sony E Lenses & Minolta MD Rokkor-X Lenses, 3x RPS Studio 15x15 Softboxes w/ Flos, Cool Lights LED600 fixtures, various hot lights, Tascam Recorder, Audio Technica & Sennheiser Mics, Sony Headphones, Sony Vegas, Sony Laptop. My camera, audio and editing station all fit into a backpack.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter richards View Post
    The difference is more about Broadcast lenses vs "HD" lenses. The canon J series are great and the fujinon A series. Some might tell a difference in HD vs SD glass, and the Lens manufacturers would love to help you, but bottom line.. you clients will never tell the difference.
    Would a "YJ" lens be almost as good or do you think it would produce unacceptable results?
    Thanks
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com

6. Collapse Details
    I've used SD Broadcast ENG lenses on my 500 successfully, primarily when shooting DVC PRO 50. I've also shot with same lenses in HD for well-lit talking head interviews - footage also looked great. Lens is usually shot almost wide-open at longer focal length w/background out-of-focus. I would hesitate shooting HD wide shots w/SD glass; I think that would be noticablely inferior, especially around the edges.

chrisli/wash. dc area

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyking View Post
    I've used SD Broadcast ENG lenses on my 500 successfully, primarily when shooting DVC PRO 50. I've also shot with same lenses in HD for well-lit talking head interviews - footage also looked great. Lens is usually shot almost wide-open at longer focal length w/background out-of-focus. I would hesitate shooting HD wide shots w/SD glass; I think that would be noticablely inferior, especially around the edges.

chrisli/wash. dc area
    May I ask what lens(es) you were using?

Also, it sure would be nice to see some HPX500/502/555 footage with a SD lens attached. If anyone is able to post some, even just some frame grabs, that would be great.

thanks
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com

8. Collapse Details
    Not at the shop right now, but I do know there were 2 fuji and one canon. Only Canon had internal focus, but fuji lenses were high end (for their day). Very forgiving for well-lit talking head shots.

9. Collapse Details
    The canon "yj" series are the "professional" line.

So Lens makers like Canon and Fujinon have 2 lines:

The "Broadcast" line, which cost a few times more than the "Professional" line and have better coatings and optical designs to reduce breathing, CA, ect.

And the "professional" line, which are nice lenses they are just built differently for a different kind of application. You will see more CA and breathing on a "professional" lens. Also a lower "MTF"

I would not reccoment buying a YJ series for an HD camera, but who knows? Some one should test it out.

I just heard a report of someone putting a j11x4.5b (non-HD lens) on an f900, and then put the HD-Version and they said "I really cant tell the difference between the two"

hmmm...

10. Collapse Details
    Here is a jpeg of the HPX500 with a Fuji14xlens (non-IF) from the 90's. (Full wide @9mm)

Same lens
    (full telephoto)

Its actually a bit sharper than that before I compressed it...
    Pretty impressive? The detail was only set to +2. (thats what I use with my HD lens also when shooting landscapes)
    Last edited by Hunter Hampton; 01-08-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast