Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    There are differences in HD lenses and SD lenses, its not just marketing. But on a camera like mine(the HPX500), and for the projects I do (Mostly delivered on web and a few 720p for broadcast)... The HD version of a lens isnt worth the extra $15k. (To Me anyways)

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter richards View Post
    There are differences in HD lenses and SD lenses, its not just marketing. But on a camera like mine(the HPX500), and for the projects I do (Mostly delivered on web and a few 720p for broadcast)... The HD version of a lens isnt worth the extra $15k. (To Me anyways)
    And I am in pretty much the same boat that you are, Hunter. I'm sure there are differences, but the extra $$$ to me is much better spent on something else.
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com
    Sony Nex-7 w/ Multiple Sony E Lenses & Minolta MD Rokkor-X Lenses, 3x RPS Studio 15x15 Softboxes w/ Flos, Cool Lights LED600 fixtures, various hot lights, Tascam Recorder, Audio Technica & Sennheiser Mics, Sony Headphones, Sony Vegas, Sony Laptop. My camera, audio and editing station all fit into a backpack.

3. Collapse Details
    Like rent...

4. Collapse Details
    SD lenses were supposed to be engineered to hit a target resolving power of about 30 line-pairs per millimeter. HD lenses are supposed to hit about 85 lp/mm.

Hunter, be sure to try at different focal lengths, especially full telephoto and full wide, to see how it holds up.

5. Collapse Details
    I have another screen grab from that same day of the parking lot at full telephoto (w/o 2x) I will post it when I go back to the office tomorrow.

-Hunter

6. Collapse Details
    ooooh I'm in suspense(: What would be really helpful if time permits is an SD and HD lens shooting the same the shot each matching focal lengths etc...That would be a sticky worthy thread huh. It would be great if there truly was only a mild difference and save us all some $$ Is it wishful thinking

7. Collapse Details
    I should have an Angenieux 12x5.3 AIF HR sometime in the next week or two (its being shipped from Europe) I will try to test it next to a few other lenses. Here is what I am hoping to do:

A complete HD vs SD lens test (on the HPX500), involving various lenses at various focal lengths and apertures.

Lenses (Hopefully):

The less than $600 (on ebay) Fujinon non-if 14x9 lens (SD)
    Angenieux 12x5.3 aif HR (SD)
    Canon j9x5.5 (HD)
    Fujinon 18x7.8 (HD-non-CAC)
    Fujinon 17x7.6 CAC lens
    And rental house willing... a few digiprimes or Fuji EC Primes

& maybe even the new letus35 relay!

Tests will be conducted as follows:

1.Backfocus
    2.Lenses will be calibrated for shading
    3.White balanced
    4.Res chart (at various aperatures and full-wide,medium, and telephoto focal lengths)
    5.Real-life tests with people/ and landscapes

I am not incredibly articulate when it comes to this kind of tedious task, but I will try my best.

Give me some time on this one (a month-ish) , I will make a new post/website when I have the results.

-Hunter

8. Collapse Details
    You're the man Hunter. I'm sure it will be great. I really look forward to it. By then though, I will definitely have my cameras with SD glass. If the SD lenses don't work out for me, at least I'm not out that much $$$ and can step up to the HD...
    Kit
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com
    Sony Nex-7 w/ Multiple Sony E Lenses & Minolta MD Rokkor-X Lenses, 3x RPS Studio 15x15 Softboxes w/ Flos, Cool Lights LED600 fixtures, various hot lights, Tascam Recorder, Audio Technica & Sennheiser Mics, Sony Headphones, Sony Vegas, Sony Laptop. My camera, audio and editing station all fit into a backpack.

9. Collapse Details
    So do any others have any experience with this? Do any of you guys have HPX500's / 502's / /555's and an SD lens? Sure would be nice to see some more pictures and what lens you are using. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Hunter suggested Canon "J" series and Fujinon "A" series, but I would definitely like to see the Canon "YJ" series as there are some pretty nice looking lenses out there for the money. Anybody?
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com

10. Collapse Details
    Is anyone else able to do any tests? We're going to be purchasing in the next week or so and I would like to see as much as possible. Thanks,
    Kit
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast