Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Director's reel and resume
    What exactly should go on a director's reel(specifics)? And does a director's resume differ vastly from standard resume form?

I looked 6-7 pages back on the threads but didn't see anything similar. I just don't have the time to continue going through more at the moment. I'm sorry if it's already posted on here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and input.

2. Collapse Details
    Actor / Musician

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for some direction Tom.

4. Collapse Details
    Surprisingly, that's the only thread I could find on dvxuser...
    Actor / Musician

5. Collapse Details
    I'd talked to a few friends about this last year, people who hire directors, and they all said, if you are showing off your directing, you want to show off acting, scenes, etc. as opposed to say a cinematography reel, where you can have a montage of amazing camera work set to music.

All advised against montage approach for a director's reel, etc.

So if it's any help, here is mine the one I just put together you can check out.

http://www.desperatecomfort.com/medi...l_drama_sm.wmv

6. Collapse Details
    Thank you Mark. That's a big help. I appreciate everyone's time looking at this. And the bit about the scenes as opposed to action montage...I'm really glad you mentioned that. It almost seems obvious to me now because it is in fact something I need to showcase my directing talents. But to tell you the truth, over half of the 'director' reels I sampled on youtube yesterday were of the music/montage variety probably more acceptable for a cinematographer or stunt/fx showcase.

Thanks again!

7. Collapse Details
    Well I think there is a blurrier line with directors of say many commercials and music videos. Like I know some commercial directors who are largely cinematographers. They direct commercials, but their strengths are in cinematography. And with commercials, I think the montage approach can work better.

But I am more interested in directing narrative. So if I am going out for a job directing an episode of Law and Order, say, a montage set to music tells them nothing about how I direct, how I cover scenes, the performances I do or don't get out of actors, etc.

Anyway, I know a lot of people around the industry and last year I started asking them all what to put on my directing reel, and it was pretty much universal to put scenes on there for what I wanted to go after.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I will likely not have a narrative reel for some time, I mean, I have two short films I would prefer not to show to my dad again even. One of them I'm proud of for when I shot it, I mean, it's good work for $600 and a one-and-a-half day shoot to get a 12 minute short, and we had a lot of locations that we all just used without permission except two, we had permission but no insurance certificates, nothing. We did a great job for what it was. Would I show it to pros? Absolutely not.

So for me, I don't want a "directing reel" because it just makes no sense at all. I mean in the sense of like a 5 minute reel. It's just odd. I want to have a representative sample or two for each category of directing work. Like, ok here are a few commercials I've done. Here are a few music videos I've done. Here are some corporate videos I did. This is a training video I did, etc. Otherwise I can't very well make a reel with corporate work and a training video to impress someone with how I can come up with great ideas, because those aren't very original. But they're perfect for some of the most common type of work I want to pursue, which is corporate work where there is money. My music videos are good for getting other music videos. You get the idea.

I can agree, though, if you are going to be trying for narrative directing work it makes no sense to make a bunch of random shots and put them to music. It's just confusing. How am I supposed to know if you're any good at directing actors or telling a coherent story if I can't even see anything from start to finish, even a scene? It's illogical. I was reviewing a bunch of directors' reels late last year / early this year for commercials and music videos for the production company, to find other talent, and I preferred to see complete projects. Don't send me all 25 music videos you've ever done in your life, but show me the two or three that most represent the quality you can achieve. Same with commercials. That's what I wanted to see. Especially if you have a nice little story in that music video, it shows me you can pull off something complicated like a short narrative mixed into a song and you have original ideas and a professional touch.

I think a professional touch is the most important thing. I can't light worth a dang, I know some basic lighting but I couldn't do a good job as a DP whatsoever. But I do know what is good work and what isn't, I've seen more than 200 DP reels in just the last 8 months, and I know what I like and what is professional. So I can hire based on that and demand a certain level of professional quality. I want to see a director's reel where I know he has the same sensibility. If he sends me something that looks like crap, I think seriously this represents the best work you have and you are proud enough of this to send it out? It's not acceptable work. That tells me enough already about this person's standards.

9. Collapse Details
    Personally, I think whether you are putting together a directing, cinematography, or editing reel, you should show more than just montages. People need to know that you can be consistent with your shots and directing and editing. For example, anyone can put together montages of pretty shots, but how consistent are they when it comes to the lighting and framing of a scene is hard to tell with their montages.

If you are putting a directing reel together, you should put in scenes of where you have great performances and blocking. That is what people are looking for when they look at a director's reel. Nobody cares about flashy editing or a long tracking shot that pulls into a crane shot at the end. That is more of a DP's reel. People want to see that you can keep your actors consistent and that you can block scenes.

My 2 cents.

Kak Lee
    www.myspace.com/kaklee

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I definitely agree. You can't show a directing reel that has a bunch of sweet shots, it just makes no sense. It's like, wow, you can hire a great DP, good for you! ;)

You have to show complete products or scenes as a director, by which I mean a 30 second commercial in its entirety, maybe a complete music video for that part of your reel, or maybe a good 1-2 minute scene from a short, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast