Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    best External Hard Drive
    hey there i would like to know thats the best External Hard Drive?must have FIREWIRE 800 + USB 2.0 no less that 500 gig!

2. Collapse Details
    It really depends on the money your going to spend, but some of the high quality one are g-tech, caldigit, and dulce. These companies make fast and reliable drives. They make e-sata products as well as firewire 800, which is what your looking for. They do charge more compared to other companies that you will find at best buy or frys, comp usa, etc..., but the enclosures that they put the drives in keep them cool, which is the most important factor when you need optimum performance and a long life. They also have great customer service and support. Just google the companies name in and you will find them pretty easily. Again, these are just the companies I would recommend, but if you want to go with another company make sure you really research it. Now say the companies I just told you are out of your budget and you just wanted make a stop at comp usa(or whatever your local dealer is), thats fine, but stay away from the lacies, simply put, they suck, no offense to any lacie owners,but its the sad truth. There are probobly other companies that put their drives in bad enclosures but lacie seems to get the most flack, basically beause they are everywhere and extremely cheap. I hear of their drives dying more often than any other brand.

g-technology.com

http://www.dulcesystems.com/
    caldigit.com

3. Collapse Details
    Glyph is the best, with the best support - free overnight replacement and free data recovery. http://www.glyphtech.com
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

4. Collapse Details
    Whoops, forgot that. Your totally right. When I think of glyph, I ussually think of music studios using them, but obviously they are jus drives and can be used for anything.

5. Collapse Details
    Dont bag on me, but for you DIYers, I put together one from.....

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817716028

Sata I & II, and good reviews for the most part, w/FW800 and USB2.0

and two 500gb drives, like these....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148135

It has worked OK for me...

for $360 total...probably good for non-mission critical stuff...

That said, I agree stay away from LACIE and if you have the money go for...

http://g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID2.cfm great bang for the buck...

Last edited by dusterdoo; 02-01-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    The search for truth is more precious than its possession. Albert Einstein

6. Collapse Details
    The drives that have worked best for me are the G-drives, but I'm going to check out the the Glyph that was mentioned with free data recovery. I have four G-Drives and have never had a problem. I started out using LaCie drives years ago and have had three die on me. An editor friend gave me the best advice when he said, "Just figure that whatever you buy will go bad at some point and make sure you have a back up."

Ideally, if you're working with clients build into your budget a edit drive for that project/client and then have a 1TB where you master everything separately. That will save you big time one day. Down time and/ or losing a client will cost you more than the drive. Not to mention save your sanity.
    Scott W. Smith
    River Run Productions
    www.RiverRun.tv

screenwritingfromiowa.wordpress.com

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    guys
    does hard drive that support firewire faster than hard drive with usb 2.0 when use on video

9. Collapse Details
    firewire is faster then usb 2.0

10. Collapse Details
    Internal SATA RAID 0 here.

G5 Mac.
    Cameras: Panasonic HVX200 Letus35+Nikon F adapter, Redrock Matte-box, Zacuto rails / Panasonic DVX100b / GoProHERO(x3)
    Video Editors: Avid Media Composer
    DAW: ProTools HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast