Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best Plugins for Vegas 8
    There are several plugins for Vegas 8 that I am considering purchasing and I would appreciate any feedback regarding their quality and if there other other good programs that do the same thing at, perhaps a lower cost.:

1. VASST - StillMotion for quickly creating slide shows to music with pan and zoom. $25
    http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...8-c3e3d5fc3acd

2. proDad - Mercalli for removing motion from hand held shots. 59 Euros for the Light version and 119 Euros for the Expert version.
    http://www.prodad.de/gb/mercalli_std_details.html

3. I am also look for a good, reasonably priced program that will allow me to quickly and easily add sophisticated Titles & Credits. I think the simple set of options that comes with Vegas is sorely lacking in flexibility.

4. Any other plugin suggestions?

Thanks for your advice.

Dan

2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Eugenia Loli-Queru's Avatar
    I am personally using Magic Bullet, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The other two plugins you are mentioning can either be done manually, or by always using a tripod. ;)

3. Collapse Details
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

4. Collapse Details
    Agreed, David. It rocks and you can't beat the price.

5. Collapse Details
    I used to be a big fan of Av6cc, and I have used it on my tutorials too. But it has two major bugs that lately make me not use it.
    1. It crashes when used in conjunction to other filters per scene when the exporting size of the NTSC DV video is 874x480 (reproducible crash here). It crashes on "best quality" export, while it works during a preview. Works for 848x480.
    2. It shows a black screen when the JPEG/PNG image size in a timeline does not divide exactly by 16.

I have emailed the developer about these but he doesn't have time to fix them (he acknowledges them). To me these are show stoppers I am afraid because I bump on them a bit too often.

6. Collapse Details
    You must have some pretty specialized needs to need to do either of those. What do you output 874x480 in order to do?

7. Collapse Details
    874x480 is the 1.000 aspect ratio of NTSC DV. If you want to export an NTSC DV footage to 1:1 for the web (e.g. for Vimeo.com which has two qualities of Flash re-encodings), then you want to be exporting in that resolution because most video sharing sites don't respect non square pixels. You see, Vimeo.com will re-encode in "high quality mode" if your video is over 848x480. To get the right aspect ratio with NTSC DV, you need to export in 874x480. Hence, I stumble on the bug.

Check my videos on Vimeo, http://vimeo.com/eugenia/videos the "Around my home" video was from my Canon ZR800 instead of my HV20, so I wanted to export in 874x480, but it kept crashing because of Av6cc. I had to either remove the filter or resize to 848x480 to get it working. I went with the second solution.
    Last edited by Eugenia Loli-Queru; 01-03-2008 at 03:14 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    BTW, the second bug is not specialized at all. It happens very often. If you drag n drop pictures found on the web (instead of your own digicam pictures), that come in different sizes, you will eventually stumble on the black screen Av6cc bug. It's very common.

9. Collapse Details
    OK. 874x480 isn't a standard export frame size (it's not NTSC spec), but if it works for your purposes, then it works. A good plug-in should work for any way you want to export, so Aav does have its weaknesses.

But, it IS free.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
    I am personally using Magic Bullet, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The other two plugins you are mentioning can either be done manually, or by always using a tripod. ;)

In reality, when you are in working tight doing run and gun news coverage you do not always have the luxury of dragging a set of sticks with you.

Try draging a set of sticks though riotous crowd scenes etc... you get the picture....

This new motion supression plugin for Vegas shows great promise.
    Last edited by couryhouse; 01-05-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Shoot 'de News With Ed!

See Communications and Computation Museum I Direct www.smecc.org

Glendale AZCommunity Journalism Project- www.glendaledailyplanet.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast