Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GearDear MB
    Any one using GearDear MB?

http://www.geardear.com/pictures.html

2. Collapse Details
    Barry, in what way would the Chrosziel not work with your wide-angle and tele adapters? I have the same mattebox and bought it specifically because I thought I would want it to work with a wide angle adapter (which I haven't tried yet) and that being a 16x9 box, it would.

Can you describe the incompatibility?

3. Collapse Details
    Also, Barry - which Vocas mattebox are you using? I'm finding it tricky to match up what's on the Vocas site with what I see at various dealers' sites here in the UK. Which model did you go for?

4. Collapse Details
    Well, now that you ask that, I don't know the answer. It's been several months and I forgot. I know it's the wide-angle version with two filter slots, I believe they call it MK II Wide Angle.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davetronic
    Barry, in what way would the Chrosziel not work with your wide-angle and tele adapters? I have the same mattebox and bought it specifically because I thought I would want it to work with a wide angle adapter (which I haven't tried yet) and that being a 16x9 box, it would.

Can you describe the incompatibility?
    I have the .6 wide-angle and the 1.6 telephoto. The .6 wide-angle vignettes on the Chrosziel (i.e., you can see the edges of the chrosziel mattebox in the corners of your frame). And the 1.6 tele doesn't fit inside the back ring of the chrosziel box. It's too big.

Whereas with the Vocas, both work perfectly. No vignetting on the wide-angle, and the back ring on the Vocas snugs up nicely around the teleconverter.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davetronic
    Barry - is this front end of your reply directed toward the Vocas/Century mattebox or the incompatability question posed with regard to the Chrosziel? I'm still unclear on the latter if you can describe that issue...
    It was in reference to the model number.

7. Collapse Details
    The french flag seems pretty solid to me, don't know how it'll perform in your circumstances of course but I've never had it drop on me.

I wasn't satisfied with the wide-angle or telephoto on the Chrosziel, which is one reason I sold it off. There's one thing that I did like about the Chrosziel is that it could use dirt-cheap CAvision filter holders, Vocas wants very high prices for their filter holders!

8. Collapse Details
    You can take a look at the Vocas Mattebox on their website www.vocas.com. What you want is the MB-250 which is usually sold as Kit I for HVX 200. I use this Mattebox as well and can recommend it, but I think a cheaper one would do as well for most situatons.

edit:
    Strange...on the bill it says Kit I and on the dealer's site it says Kit I as well, but on the actual box it came in it says Kit II. Anyway it has to contain the MB-250.
    Last edited by jwfilm; 07-30-2006 at 11:53 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, the MB-250 is the one I've got, thanks for the link & the pics.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the scoop Barry, I went with Cinetactics Matteblox. I expressed my worries to Greg that I might not impress the chics with it, like the Vocas but hey, it folds up and will fit tightly into a pocket on my pack, and its a solid fix of velcro.
    Travis Cooper
    Beaver Hill Productions
    Coquille, Oregon USA

http://beaverhill.tv

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast