Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
  1. Collapse Details
    The metal filter trays in my MB-900 have a rebate depth of 5mm. Tiffen glass fits good re the thickness. I don't have any 4x5.65 filters yet, but all the holders fit 4x4 nicely. I haven't used the modern Arri/Chrosziel that this MB is based on to make a direct comparison, but I'm guessing that with MB-900 you need a bit more care when sliding the loaded filters in so you don't scratch the glass.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks very much Gregg, hugely appreciated. I know that several of the Chinese matte boxes can only take 3mm filters which rules out the Tiffens. I think I'll take a chance.

Cheers

Martin

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Scanners286 View Post
    Thanks very much Gregg, hugely appreciated. I know that several of the Chinese matte boxes can only take 3mm filters which rules out the Tiffens. I think I'll take a chance.

Cheers

Martin
    If you get one (MB-900) how about putting a few words on the forum about it.

Cheers, Gregg

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg MacPherson View Post
    If you get one (MB-900) how about putting a few words on the forum about it.

Cheers, Gregg
    Will do. I've ordered one so let's see how it is. I'll try it with some PV filters to see how it works.

5. Collapse Details
    I wanted to chime in here with my impressions of the TRUSMT Swing away.
    It's a very well built and solid piece of equipment. I've used it for a couple of jobs now and its worked very smoothly.

I don't think it will be a 20+ year matte box (like my previous one), but it should have a 10 year shelf life, no problem.

My BIGGEST complaint is that the filer holders are plastic. If they were aluminum this thing would be a home run!!!!!
    I am also happy to see that the prices have come down a bit lately.

Highly recommended.

6. Collapse Details
    Has anyone any experience with the Kernel KV 700 matte box? I saw it on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kernel-KV-...item4170f0ed74) and it is quite a bit cheaper than comparable matte boxes and the filter seems to be metal.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    Has anyone any experience with the Kernel KV 700 matte box? I saw it on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kernel-KV-...item4170f0ed74) and it is quite a bit cheaper than comparable matte boxes and the filter seems to be metal.
    This looks identical to a MB I had before, sold by RJ. I thought at the time it was developed by his team. but now I'm ot sure. There are several companies selling what looks like an identicle MB. I don't see anywhere on that eBay page that the trays are metal. They look just like the plastic ones I had. Sized for 4x5.65, with metal insert to allow 4x4 also. The trays are quite flexi. Metal would have helped. Or better design fof the plastic shape. Both trays rotated (as they appear to do in the MB on that eBay page).

For the money, quite well made, but the design engineering is a bit lazy in that weight has been allowed to increase too easily. I didn't like the foam ring seal idea. Cine City has a better idea with the MB-900 where they clone an Arri, Chrosziel idea and have a rubber bellows with plastic insert to fit the lens. When you swing the unit back the seal is automatic, no fiddling.

Cheers, Gregg.

PS. Theres more info about this MB on the previous page.
    Last edited by Gregg MacPherson; 03-06-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added info

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yrpfilms View Post
    I wanted to chime in here with my impressions of the TRUSMT Swing away.
    It's a very well built and solid piece of equipment. .............My BIGGEST complaint is that the filer holders are plastic. If they were aluminum this thing would be a home run!!!!!......
    I was researching these and the company contact told me that the trays could not take 4mm thick filters (Tiffen etc). I wasn't sure whether to believe that. How deep is the filter tray?

I have always disliked plastic trays, but recently I saw a beatifully designed Petroff 4x4 MB which was amazingly light and the plastic trays helped with that. The trays felt quite stiff and I was told they were unbreakable.
    Last edited by Gregg MacPherson; 03-06-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

9. Collapse Details
    Wondering if this thread is dead... looks like last post 2013. I'm in the market for a new matte box (for lenses 114mm and bigger) and wondering if anyone has favorites. I tried the Ikan - liked the light weight & the swing away - but my 16mm lens showed vignetting. I have the Vocas (Century) one but the rear opening (I believe) is only 100mm. Any favorites? Anyone used the Bright Tangerines?

10. Collapse Details
    The Bright Tangerines get fantastic reviews, and while I am yet to use one personally, the misfit is almost sure to be my next box. The misfit atom should be perfect for gimbal or super light weight work, or there's always the strummer DNA for studio and bigger rigs. I know of a few DPs that own the Viv and enjoy it as well.

So all in all I'd say go for it.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819