1. Collapse Details
    Warning Fcp 6.0.2 Do Not Upgrade!!!!
    FCP 6.0.2 using Mac OS 10.4.11 will give you Log ad Transfer issues.

Your footage may or may not show up in the Log and Transfer window.

Apple has no solution for the problem other than going back a version on FCP.

Just a friendly warning.

Proceed with caution.

2. Collapse Details
    Yes and boy oh boy did I find that out!

I did my first job as a steadicam operator on a feature being shot here in the UK on Saturday. Copied the P2 footage onto a laptop, then onto an external drive for the director.

Came home, and when I tried to import it into FCP, nothing. Gave me a heart attack! Eventually got it on there with a lot of sweat and grey hairs shooting out everywhere.

Nothing wrong with what I did, just that I upgraded FCP to 6.02 and the log and transfer isn't working properly!

3. Collapse Details
    I had the same problem using 10.5.1 and FCP 6.0.2 on my powerbook. I was on a location shoot in Miami over the weekend and I was very nervous when my footage would not show up. Luckily I saved everything to a firewire hard drive and hooked it up to my C2D 24" iMac running 10.5.1 and FCP 6.0.1 and everything worked fine. That was a huge weight off my shoulders.
    RED ONE MX BT - Panasonic AG-AC160 - Panasonic Lumix GH4 4K

4. Collapse Details
    [begin broken record]

Get Raylight, and all this will disappear. Raylight fixes every problem that Apple seems to introduce. It seems like every other version Apple breaks something in their log & transfer/import P2 functionality. Raylight has been stable and fixes all that, plus it lets you avoid all the duplicate file size stuff and the time it takes to import footage.

Now more than ever I consider Raylight a mandatory portion of an FCP workflow.

[/end broken record]

5. Collapse Details
    Hey Barry

A quick Raylight question or questions.

Raylight is a way to access your P2 footage without changing or converting it in any way?

I guess what I want to know is does it actually remove the pulldown or just let FCP see it that way.

Can Raylight in any way change the information I save from each P2 card dump to my hard drive.

I downloaded the demo but am still a bit confused.

6. Collapse Details
    FCP does a translation of MXF files into Quicktime files all in one go. Raylight does it on-the-fly, as-needed. So your original footage stays untouched in MXF format, but Raylight creates a Quicktime reference file that FCP can use.

The difference is that you get instantaneous access to your footage, instead of having to go through the Log & Transfer process. And you can work from the original footage or even the P2 cards if you want, whereas FCP's Log & Transfer forces you to take up twice as much space by creating Quicktime files (which take up space but also take time). Plus, because you avoid the whole Log & Transfer process, you avoid any issues that crop up when Apple breaks their system (which has happened on more than one occasion).

So Raylight doesn't change anything. Your original footage stays intact, unmodified, untouched. But it can automatically skip 24pA pulldown, which is very nice and gives you access to the true pure raw 24P footage.

7. Collapse Details
    1.) Is this the Raylight program:

http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight/index.htm

2.) As far as I understand it, Final Cut Pro 6.02 is necessary to work with AVCHD. If 6.02 will cause problems with P2 media, does anyone have any advice for how to ingest AVCHD footage without doing the upgrade?

Thanks!!!

8. Collapse Details
    The FCP 6.0.2 Log and Transfer problem is caused by a conflict with FxFactory from Noise Industries. Both Niclas Bahn, developer of the app, as well as Apple are aware and there should be a fix very soon from Niclas. Meanwhile, remove the FXFactory plug-in from the Library->Plug Ins->FxPlug folder and you should have no problem ingesting P2.

Having said that, Raylight is a great solution for dealing natively with MXF files.

Ned Soltz

9. Collapse Details
    Here's an official word from Apple on the subject along with a guide on how to take care of the issue:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307062

-Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kat.hayes View Post
    1.) Is this the Raylight program:

http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight/index.htm
    That's for Windows. There's a different version for the Mac. http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight/mac/index.htm