Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    "I ****ING HATE YOU" – a film by SABI

SYNOPSIS
    "I F*CKING HATE YOU" is the raw, whimsical glimpse of a young man's ill-conceived scheme to redeem himself in the eyes of his ex-girlfriend.

ABOUT THE PRODUCTION
    This story was developed by Marion Kerr, John T. Woods and myself, Zak Forsman, by combining elements of two "half-ideas" into a unified whole. character was explored and discussed until the story emerged. no actual screenplay was written, no storyboards drawn up -- the experiment was to see what would happen if we instilled "radical collaboration" to the extent that the actors, director, sound and camera were mindfully attentive to the present moment; improvising to serve the story, allowing the scenes to evolve organically and following them to their natural conclusion.

SPOILER WARNING!!! SPOILER WARNING!!! SPOILER WARNING!!!
    I F*CKING HATE BEHIND THE SCENES

WHAT IS 'A FILM BY SABI'?
    Sabi by itself means "the bloom of time". It connotes natural progression -- tarnish, hoariness, rust -- the extinguished gloss of that which once sparkled. It's the understanding that beauty is fleeting. The word's meaning has changed over time, from its ancient definition, "to be desolate," to the more neutral "to grow old." By the thirteenth century, sabi's meaning had evolved into taking pleasure in things that were old and faded. A proverb emerged: "Time is kind to things, but unkind to man."

Sabi things carry the burden of their years with dignity and grace: the chilly mottled surface of an oxidized silver bowl, the yielding gray of weathered wood, the elegant withering of a bereft autumn bough. An old car left in a field to rust, as it transforms from an eyesore into a part of the landscape, could be considered America's contribution to the evolution of sabi. An abandoned barn, as it collapses in on itself, holds this mystique.

There's an aching poetry in things that carry this patina, and it transcends the Japanese. We Americans are ineffably drawn to old European towns with their crooked cobblestone streets and chipping plaster, to places battle scarred with history much deeper than our own. We seek sabi in antiques and even try to manufacture it in distressed furnishings. True sabi cannot be acquired, however. It is a gift of time.

Consider for a moment that perhaps Sabi can also be a cinematic aesthetic. Not a fixed set of principles or a rigid system of rules, but rather a creative flow -- part of the constant search and need for the natural expressive form of sound and images (to present themselves during the process of making the film). Sabi changes with time. It is an ever-evolving, whole-view approach to catalyzing, nurturing and capturing moments that are truthful in their own beauty, simplicity, structure and emotion, regardless of the complexities of production on an independent film. Sabi is an approach that seeks to create, capture and uncover transcendent moments in life that happen spontaneously and unplanned -- fleeting glimpses into something greater -- resulting in those hard-to-describe, perception-altering experiences as universal as art, music, emotion, poetry, cinema and life itself. If one was to consider this as an approach to making and experiencing cinema, then you would perhaps be encountering "a film by SABI".

STORYFORMING
    Long before Heart of Now was shot, I had intended to craft a screenplay sans dialogue. That changed after a few key discussions. So here, we had the opportunity to take some of my ever-evolving principles and experiment with them. Myself, Marion and John met on two occasions. They came with an idea, a very specific scene. I came with an idea that helped put their scene (which became our ending) within a context. The pairing of the two half-ideas formed a structured whole. During our second story meeting John and Marion worked through possible motivation and objectives for their characters. I sat back and listened, taking note of what aspects of this story and their characters were the most compelling and appealing to them.

CINEMATOGRAPHY
    This short was shot with two Canon HV20s with non-flipped 35mm adapters. To unify the form of this piece with its improvised content, I needed the camerawork to read as being just as spontaneous as the actors' performances -- as though the camera operators were in a struggle to keep up with the unfolding story. A key technique to infuse a "searching for the shot" quality was to monitor each camera without adjusting for the flipped image. This gave us a unique visual aesthetic that i'm sure will drive most people nuts, but it resulted in the momentary misframings and "panicked" corrections we were looking for. During pre-pro, I had considered shooting for B&W, but on set, inspiration took over and we made use of existing and supplemented color palettes to contrast the appearance of each character's world -- Carol's being more balanced but lacking in intensity, and Ron's being completely out of balanced and over the top.

Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-11-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

2. Collapse Details

CHARACTER NAMES
    i'm not going to say much more than, this isn't an accident...

RON: means "song, joy" in Hebrew
    CAROL: means "song" or "hymn"

SPECIAL THANKS
    I want to thank Bruce Allen and Zach Seivers for donating equipment for a day.

BUDGET
    this film was made with available resources, plus $40 for some indian food.

THINGS I LEARNED
    1. that I really like the "reach" you get from a Sennheiser 416
    2. my girlfriend and co-producer and editor (on Heart of Now), Jamie Cobb, discovered she has a knack for location sound work on IFHY. she received half a day of training from a friend of mine who is a sound designer that loaned us his Sennheiser 416, a boompole and his Sound Devices 702T. i was amazed. she worked the axis just right and often the sound is better here than in some scenes in Heart of Now where we hired a pro. she's pretty much the girlfriend every filmmaker should have.

ABOUT THE CAST
    Marion Kerr and John T. Woods are two cherished and talented collaborators. They are passionate about acting and storytelling, and come to the work "SUPERCHARGED". Both are infinitely compelling, with their unique cadences and manners of expression. they are smart, witty, vulnerable, empathetic, they draw you in AND... I'm fortunate enough to call them my friends.

MARION KERR as Carol

BIOGRAPHY

I was born and raised in Sacramento, CA

My father was born in Paris, France and my mother was born in Washington DC

I have one sister, Vivian, who is also an actor. She's my best friend.

I love traveling and have been to France, Switzerland, Italy, China, Hong Kong, The Bahamas and parts of Eastern Europe. I also lived in London for a summer.

I love soccer and have played all my life.

I graduated from UC Irvine with a B.A. in theatre, a minor political science and a mix of dread and determination to meet the "real world".

My car died the day I moved to Los Angeles. I was towed into my new life here.

My grandparents were journalists and if I wasn't an actor, that's probably what I'd be doing.

I am a huge fan of Katherine Hepburn and own about two dozen biographies on her. My favorite film is "The Philadelphia Story".

Until about two years ago, I was quite convinced that most modern music, post British Invasion, sucked! I have since been proven otherwise. However, Billie Holiday is still my favorite.

If my life could be any movie genre, I'd pick "Adventure Serial". Like those 1940's Dick Tracy serials or Indiana Jones. Sound like fun.

GOLDEN EARRINGS -- written and directed by Marion Kerr

JOHN T. WOODS as Ron

BIOGRAPHY

I grew up in Aloha, Oregon.

After high school, I went to Portland State University.

I majored in computer science, archeology and finally, theatre.

After two years at PSU, I did some traveling.

Went all over the place, eventually ending up in Las Vegas, wghere I decided to finish up school at UNLV.

At UNLV, I worked wioth some very talented filmmakers, named JT Gurzi, Chris McInroy and Roger Erik Tinch, who I would end up working with many times in the future.

After I got my degree, I moved to Los Angeles.

I slept in my car a lot.

Then, after some hard work and patience, things started working out.

I got my first role, and consequently, my SAG card in "The Cutter", a Chuck Norris movie that was shot up in Spokane Washington. I played a cop. I got to shoot a Russian and arrest Chuck Norris. Not a bad gig.

I have since been working in tv/film for the last five years in Los Angeles.

I run my own DVD duplication/conversion company at www.archetypedvd.com.

I'm managed by Neil Hassman and William J. Edwards at Hassman Entertainment.

Rant n Rave - Unbelievable
    The Totally Awesome Adventures of God and Satan
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-26-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.

3. Collapse Details

THE COLLABORATORS

Marion Kerr - actor and story

John T. Woods - actor, story and music

Zak Forsman - producer, story and director

Jamie Cobb - co-producer and sound mixer

Matt Garrett - cinematographer

Addison Brock III - cinematographer and colorist

Renée Day - editor and sound designer

Zak Forsman, Marion Kerr and a handheld Canon HV20 w/ SGpro 35mm adapter

Matt Garrett smokes Jesus in a race

Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-26-2008 at 11:50 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    And it begins...

Good luck!

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

5. Collapse Details
    Wow.
    And I was going to jokingly ask what the hold up was on submissions.

6. Collapse Details
    Nice.

Good luck.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

7. Collapse Details
    no script, no bullsh*t,
    Sounds like a novel approach for L.A. ... maybe you've got something here!

8. Collapse Details
    Hey Zak,
    I was talking to Matty G and he had a lot of great things to say about you. That's awesome you're doing Lovefest.

TIm.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
    Sounds like a novel approach for L.A. ... maybe you've got something here!
    i live two blocks from CBS, "honk" my support to the writers everyday as i drive by, and the whole striking writers/no script was lost on me. but it's early. i just got up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimothy View Post
    Hey Zak,
    I was talking to Matty G and he had a lot of great things to say about you. That's awesome you're doing Lovefest.

TIm.
    funny, he just emailed me and he's on board for this. Matt was essential to making Heart of Now what it is. that guy has very good instincts (or is it intuition) for on-the-fly composition. he should be shooting docs.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-07-2008 at 11:59 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    i live two blocks from CBS, "honk" my support to the writers everyday as i drive by, and the whole striking writers/no script was lost on me. but it's early. i just got up.

funny, he just emailed me and he's on board for this. Matt was essential to making Heart of Now what it is. that guy has very good instincts (or is it intuition) for on-the-fly composition. he should be shooting docs.
    Matt's a great guy and he loves doing this stuff... I worked with him on the 48 hour film fest this year and would work with him any time...
    Actor / Musician

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast