View Poll Results: Do you like voice-overs?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 22.92%
  • No

24 50.00%
  • Don't mind

13 27.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    The use of Voice-over
    A lot of the shorts in this fest, as well as a lot of indie films, heavily rely on voice-over to tell the story. Personally, I do not like voice-over in film, particularly shorts, as it tells far to much of the story and takes away from the imagery and dialog which should be doing that.

I wonder what the general consensus on this forum is regarding the over-reliance on voice-over in short films.

Do you like it or are you turned off by it? For me, my interest in a short drops considerably once I hear a voice-over.

2. Collapse Details
    i think voice overs are okay if used effectively but the problem is most of the time they're not used effectively. a lot of people use VO's as a crutch to "tell" rather than "show"

another thing that kills my interest in VO's is a lot of times the voice talking is uninteresting or is a turn off.

to each his own though.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmBoy77 View Post
    i think voice overs are okay if used effectively but the problem is most of the time they're not used effectively. a lot of people use VO's as a crutch to "tell" rather than "show"
    I agree, that's why I voted no. Especially in short films, as most of the others have said in longer films it's more tolerable.

4. Collapse Details
    In 5 minutes, there's only so much showing you can do. The voice over is often necessary to get the viewer up to speed.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFilms View Post
    In 5 minutes, there's only so much showing you can do. The voice over is often necessary to get the viewer up to speed.
    not true. there's tons of shorts even on this website without VO's that are done nicely. i've seen dozens of shorts at even 2 mins without VO's that get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    There's a discussion around here somewhere about the use of voice over. If done right, it's great.

Unfortunately, that's about 1 out of 10 shorts. It seems like they appear when the writer hasn't thought out what it's writing. That's not in every case, but most when dealing with short films.
    my point.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFilms View Post
    i disagree.

the problem is that a majority of the time the filmmaker needs the voice over as a crutch because he doesn't know how to show rather than tell (not because there's not enough time) or he's picked the wrong story to try and tell in 5 minutes. if it were necessary then everybody would be using VO's in their shorts.

some of the shorts on that spielberg reality show were pretty decent and done well under 5 mins.

like Kholi said, probably about 1 out of 10 shorts get it right.
    Last edited by Mickey Munday; 11-05-2007 at 03:17 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    There's a discussion around here somewhere about the use of voice over. If done right, it's great.

Unfortunately, that's about 1 out of 10 shorts. It seems like they appear when the writer hasn't thought out what it's writing. That's not in every case, but most when dealing with short films.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

8. Collapse Details
    with few exceptions, voice over = bad writing. In the short form it really takes the audience out of the story. In the long form it usually is a disaster as well. The only time it feels okay for me is when a screenplay is adapted from a novel. There is really few other ways to capture the essence of novel that was written in the first person.

9. Collapse Details
    I find most VO's to be nothing but uneccasary exposition and prose; without convincing delivery or purpose.

Film is a visual medium. If you need the Voice Over to tell the audience a story then you may be doing something wrong.

Films like Shawshank, Badlands or Sunset Blvd are exceptions, not the norm.

-

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Hudson View Post
    I find most VO's to be nothing but uneccasary exposition and prose; without convincing delivery or purpose.

Film is a visual medium. If you need the Voice Over to tell the audience a story then you may be doing something wrong.

Films like Shawshank, Badlands or Sunset Blvd are exceptions, not the norm.

-
    That and voice over is unimaginative. Cinemagraphically speaking Im behind the 8 ball, but Ive never thought voice over is worth a dime apart from aforementioned... but in a short :S
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast