Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cheers Jack and "Crew"

Very slick story and film. I actually saw the gravestone(s) shot coming as soon as she started to bury the fetus. Twisted.. argh. I dig!

of course the score was top notch Herman! Kudos buddy.

/j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Looks great mac.

Good edit jack.

Who did the art direction, its outstanding.
    Director of Photography
    www.timurcivan.com www.tstopcinema.com 917-589-4424
    Visit my blog: T.stops : <- click here
    "He who thinks interms of catching mice, will never catch Lions."

3. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyGobo View Post
    That's messed up Jack. Heartwarming too though.
    so glad you said that

Some people simply won't get / connect with this piece. Barry G saw how excited I was about it, and so because we were not making a $70million dollar pic (though it almost felt that way to David I'm sure sometimes ) we decided to go for it. So since the risk was minimal I was afforded the opportunity to go for / play with some conflicting and dissonant tones within a fairly odd world. But what you said is exactly what we were going for.

Barry_S. I wan to re-edit about half of it allreadyI think, I may not have the footy to cut some parts differently, but I want to take another look when things settle down, at which point you will be asked for critique list with timecode annotation.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

4. Collapse Details
    I took a sneak peak at this, Jack, since it was exhibition and I've got to say you did an excellent job. Now I want to see "the other one."

As a whole, this may be my favorite of anything you've done.

5. Collapse Details
    OK! Nice work here Jack....

I do think it could be a tad tighter overall... and I did see the ending coming, but darn it all man, you sure can direct actors, nice work! Some of the scenes lacked a little staging movement (getting nit-picky) but dang it... I have nothing more negative to say.... Good work team!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    ... I have nothing more negative to say....
    Exactly what every director likes to hear

7. Collapse Details
    Who did the art direction, its outstanding.
    Art direction was primarily Jack, teamed with Mac. Jack decided what he wanted it to look like and sent us a preliminary "style sheet", detailing the color palette and overall feel he was going for, gave some lighting and character references, but he also worked with Mac to determine what would look best in the final picture.

Then he spent an inordinate amount of time shopping for appropriate costumes, and we all pitched in to build the sets.

8. Collapse Details
    As usual to be expected from Jack, it's absolutely visually and aurally spectacular. The art design, the grading, the cinematography, (that shot of the crack of light piercing through the door was pushing orgasmic). Stylistically beautiful, with a truly well composed and haunting score as subtle backing. The sound effects didn't disappoint either, although the actors could have been somewhat better mic'd. But still, excellent.

Speaking of actors, these fellows not only looked the part, but did an excellent job as well. Of course, this was certainly assisted by Jack, who has proved himself adept at direction (no doubt assisted by his excellent degree) in every film he's made.

That said, like seemingly all of JDS's films, I absolutely hated this one. Through and through. It wasn't quite the unmitigated disaster 18 Seconds (again, in my opinion) was, but I'll be a drained freezedried turnip if it wasn't close.

The writing on display here was: Atrocious. Trite. Silly. Pretentious. And poor. The plot was silly and contrived, the characters bland and completely uninteresting, the dialog almost hysterically cliche, and the ending, completely predictable and banal. Nothing of any interest (by that I mean originality, of course) what-so-ever going on here, and I dare anyone to defend that there was.

Ohkhay, here's the plot: Lady wants a child. Prays to God. God won't answer. Prays to Satan. Satan Answers. Baby randomly eats people. Woman values Satan baby over husband. The End. Uh-huh.

If this film is simply a tech-reel, then Bravo, it is indeed fantastic. If this is actually a short film that should be judged artistically and with definite artistic merit-- it fails. Completely and utterly and even more completely and utterly.

In summary, this film is a prime example of the ever-so-popular style-over-substance that seems to be permeating film making as of late.

Now, what I would like to see is a JDS film with a solid writer. That could be really fantastic.

Note: I am not attacking JDS as a director. Only as a writer. He indeed could be an Oscar winning director.

Good Luck

Stefan

9. Collapse Details
    Art direction like this is very taxing on a shoe string production.

So I'm glad to hear kudos for that from an artistic perspective, but more so for Barry and particularly David to hear it. Barry was occupied readying the "studio" for general use a large part of the time so David did a lot of running for the production. The brown overalls for example, were a pain and the most expensive and only non thrift store element. So David's responsible for making a lot of the small details happen and I really appreciate him sticking with me when blue overalls would have done for another type of film. But there were tons of instances like that where it was tough to get or do X,Y, or Z and they found a way to do it.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanHaynes View Post
    As usual to be expected from Jack, it's absolutely visually and aurally spectacular. The art design, the grading, the cinematography, (that shot of the crack of light piercing through the door was pushing orgasmic). Stylistically beautiful, with a truly well composed and haunting score as subtle backing. The sound effects didn't disappoint either, although the actors could have been somewhat better mic'd. But still, excellent.

Speaking of actors, these fellows not only looked the part, but did an excellent job as well. Of course, this was certainly assisted by Jack, who has proved himself adept at direction (no doubt assisted by his excellent degree) in every film he's made.

That said, like seemingly all of JDS's films, I absolutely hated this one. Through and through. It wasn't quite the unmitigated disaster 18 Seconds (again, in my opinion) was, but I'll be a drained freezedried turnip if it wasn't close.

The writing on display here was: Atrocious. Trite. Silly. Pretentious. And poor. The plot was silly and contrived, the characters bland and completely uninteresting, the dialog almost hysterically cliche, and the ending, completely predictable and banal. Nothing of any interest (by that I mean originality, of course) what-so-ever going on here, and I dare anyone to defend that there was.

Ohkhay, here's the plot: Lady wants a child. Prays to God. God won't answer. Prays to Satan. Satan Answers. Baby randomly eats people. Woman values Satan baby over husband. The End. Uh-huh.

If this film is simply a tech-reel, then Bravo, it is indeed fantastic. If this is actually a short film that should be judged artistically and with definite artistic merit-- it fails. Completely and utterly and even more completely and utterly.

In summary, this film is a prime example of the ever-so-popular style-over-substance that seems to be permeating film making as of late.

Now, what I would like to see is a JDS film with a solid writer. That could be really fantastic.

Note: I am not attacking JDS as a director. Only as a writer. He indeed could be an Oscar winning director.

Good Luck

Stefan
    Stefan thanks so much for taking the time to watch and respond so thoroughly and with such passion and gusto.

Maybe you should take a Jack break until I work with another writer though. I mean why put yourself through such torture

I do appreciate the comments and time sir, no joke.

Last edited by Jack Daniel Stanley; 10-30-2007 at 11:32 PM.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast