Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Breakaway shed door
    I have to make a wooden shed door that will break away easily so an actor can be thrown through it. The camera will be on the inside of the shed with the actor bursting through heading directly toward camera.

The director was thinking either a precut sheet of plywood held together with something like drywall joint tape so it'll hold its shape but slight pressure would cause it to crumble.. My concern with that is the wood would still have some girth to it and could cause an injury.. So I'm thinking something more like foamcore would be a good plan, but I'm concerned that it might not look believable since foamcore is so light weight.

Any thoughts?

2. Collapse Details
    My 2 cents...

I'm inclined to agree with you: foamcore would look too unrealistic, and real plywood too strong and likely to cause injury. the first alternative that comes to mind is either balsa wood, or basswood...both are very soft and very light, (I think basswood is even lighter than balsa), but you may find them hard to find or relatively expensive in a quantity large enough to make the door. Even if not too expensive, it might take so much time and work that you may only get one shot of it...so make it good.

the only other alternative that comes to mind is cutting cardboard into board-sized pieces, paint them to look like wood, and glue them together, or use a combo of basswood and cardboard.

Good luck.
    "If ya' don't know...ask!"

3. Collapse Details
    Well.. sadly the budget probably won't cover balsa or basswood, but if I were going to go the cardboard route, wouldn't foamcore work just as well?

Although I do suppose cardboard would be cheaper.. ;) Actually.. that might not be a bad idea, because if I stagger the cut slightly on the different layers it should be possible to have it interlock enough to hold its shape until the actor is thrown through it. And I do have a largish amount of cardboard lying around. Might as well give it a try.. thanks

4. Collapse Details
    the usual problem with foamcore is the white interior, which shows when it's broken, but you can buy it in black too (i.e. the foam is black). Painted up, carefully scored with break lines via a boxcutter knife so that it just supports its own weight, it should be safe and look ok.

Consider also making some matching wreckage out of real wood, so that you can cut to that after the door-smashing shot, if that's what the script needs

5. Collapse Details
    What if you had cut out the part where you wanted to break through the wood and then glued it back in to place With some wood glue. But when the glue is drying sprinkle saw dust in it so it keeps the woods color and from a wide shot you shouldn't even be able to see it.

6. Collapse Details
    clang: yeah I will be sure to have wood wreckage on hand as well.. in fact though the director isn't planning on it I'm gunning for shooting it from the side as well, and that shot would include more wood splinters than the head-on shot..

clarkage: yes, but the concern is that the wood has enough girth that it may still cause an injury, something we'd rather avoid.

I think what I'm going to do is make a large jagged hole in a piece of plywood, then plug that with interlocking cardboard door pieces that are several layers glued together to match the thickness of the ply, and reinforce the pieces so they won't bend too much. It will all be painted to match... This way it will break away very easily, but hold it's shape and should be resettable for several takes -- also I was thinking about it and I seriously doubt if someone were thrown through a door the entire door would be obliterated, hence the large jagged hole.

7. Collapse Details
    I decided to start a blog to be kind of a catch all for the special fx work I'm doing.. Since it's what I aim to get more into, I thought it kind of made sense.

Anyway, I anticipate being fairly active with posts in the near future, since I'm doing a LOT of fx work on the current film I'm working on.

If anyone's interested:
    http://will-fx.blogspot.com

8. Collapse Details
    We did one of these by using drywall and making it look like it was part of the wall. Dust and dirt and the drywall gave us a lot of stuff in the air and it broke irregularly. We still scored the crap out of it. You might think about using Luan it is only a 1/4 inch thick, but I would still score it and I don't think I would use an actor.

9. Collapse Details
    Don't do this.

Stop it at 1:41.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zCIxYfig04k

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    The video isn't working. Regardless, does anyone have any experience with this backyard sheds manufacturer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast