Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Is the strobing evident with you Brandon ? I can't even watch it without it doing this weird strobing jittery effect ?

Anyone ?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Hudson View Post
    Is the strobing evident with you Brandon ? I can't even watch it without it doing this weird strobing jittery effect ?

Anyone ?
    Yeah, but I thought that was a compression issue.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

3. Collapse Details
    thanks everyone for posting, whether kudos or boos. brandon and JR, if you two are talking about the strobey flickering that occurs throughout some of the scenes in cabin... thats just a few layers and alpha channels of "old film effects" i layered up to give that look. its a personal preference, i like the old school scratchy vintage look so i tend to push it bit.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

4. Collapse Details
    Hey Defcon,

This piece started very strong. I loved the intro and the camera work was very good. I mean really good. I like handheld...it has a very good energy to it when used well, like in this case.

The story started to lose me after the guy was watching tv. It seemed like you could have gone straight to the ghost stuff after the guy started watching tv...you didn't need a passage of time. For me there wasn't enough tension after he woke up. I think if you maybe just had ambient sound instead of music that may help too. Also, you cut back to the flashback of the bloody guy and the dead woman which is okay, but it kinda foreshadows too much about what is going to happen and you stay on the shots too long. I think a flash of a few frames with some sound accents would make it a lot more effective and scary. After the guy is possessed and the friend arrives, you could probably tighten up the editing there. I was thinking it might be scary if you had the guy possessed standing at the window facing away from the attic entrance. Have him completely unresponsive to his friends call and then have the friend make the long trek across the room to touch him on the shoulder...then whammo the possessed guy turns and you see the women's face flash in and out or something. Cut to outside of the friend screaming.

Sorry, I'm getting so specific. I just like the story that much. I think if you could get a couple pick up shots and edit the end down some you probably could make it really quite good. I know you had to hurry to get done and the actor had to leave, but it seems like you got everything there to work with. Good job.

Laters,
    Ando
    Lovefest entry - "Eggagement"
    Hallow's Fest entry "Meat."

www.cromagnumfilms.com

5. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I thought this had a great look to it.

As I said in a PM I may be hitting you up for some editing / compositing advice.

THe only misstep in terms of horror choices for me is that there is one instance where the woman's ghost appeared very bright with a heaven like aura and while it looked great I don't know if it was a scary, or intense choice.

I didn't follow the story 100%, but I still enjoyed it and was impressed with your skillz.

The shots and CC of the lake were just awesome. You really have mad post skillz.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks to everyone or anyone who voted in my direction for cinematography. Also thanks to Jack Dan and Deedive for getting DQ'ed otherwise i'd of been toast.

Big thanks to the mods who, we forget, have lives beyond this website.

Thanks to my Co-Producer Chris Jones and my VFX original gangsta Graham the man Wilson.

Love fest is ON!
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

7. Collapse Details
    congrates, man!
    You deserve it!
    Spyfest Entry = "Check" ---- Hallowfest Entry = "The Circle" ---- Twilightfest Entry = "Hello Hello"

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Congrats. Like I said. Great looking filck - obviously I am not in the minority in that opinion

glad you got your well deserved props
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

9. Collapse Details
    Nice job. One thing I noticed was when the guy jumps into the water, with the way the music and tone were set up, I think it would've been more interesting if you'd have cut the sound of him hitting the water. Not completely sure why, just a thought I had while watching.

As a few others have said the story is a little hard to follow, but visually it's great.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345