Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DVX vs JVC HD100
    Smile
    I currently use a DVX100b and do a few weddings, corporate videos, short films and the occasional tv ad.

I'd love to get a full-sized XDCAM HD with a HD broadcast lens but the price is just too expenisve at the moment for the amount of work I do.

I'm interested in the HD100/HD200/HD250 series. Just wanted to know how the DVX100b compares to the JVCs under the same conditions at SD resolution.

e.g. filming a wedding reception in bad lighting or late at night under dull house lights but also on a really bright day where there are harsh shadows.

The dvx in my oppinion is pretty poor in low light WITHOUT gain and I'm interested whether the JVC cameras are better under the same conditions and at the same resolution.

Thanks guys!

2. Collapse Details
    HD110 will give a much better pic, esp for dvd delivery because of the native color sampling of hdv--which matches dvd.

Low light? Hmmmm....bring more lights?

3. Collapse Details
    The DVX is going to be two to four times more sensitive than the JVC. If you don't like the low light performance of the DVX, you really should try the JVC out before you buy, you might be highly disappointed. Low light/low contrast conditions are also where the "split screen" effect can show itself.

4. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    I can't compare the two side by side, but will agree with Barry about the SSE and less than admirable low light capabilities. I can also tell you that service is less enjoyable to deal with than say... a root canal without Novocain. Stick with your DVX, at least you can chat with a Panny Rep here.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaileymediaman View Post

The dvx in my oppinion is pretty poor in low light WITHOUT gain
    lol, The DVX is one of the most sensitive prosumer camcorders out there. Granted, it doesn't have night vision, but if you think it's bad in low light you're gonna be in for a rude surprise when you move to a different camera. Trust me, I know.

I recently had to use a FX-1 in SD as a b-roll cam shooting a poorly lit event, what a nightmare.

There's plenty of newer cameras out there that will give a better image under good lighting conditions, but under poor light you won't find much better than the DVX, the older PD170 being one of the few exceptions.

Well, unless you decide to step up to a RED that is.

6. Collapse Details
    So if I were to get a new camera without going to red because I prefer the more mainstream cameras like Panasonic, Sony & JVC what would you need to get to a better camera all round in both light conditions, dynamic range and handling?

I like the image quality and handling of full sized shoulder mount DVCPRO 50 cameras that I have used but the downside is they are expensive and only record SD.

Is there any cameras out there that handle like a shoulder mount DVCPRO or Digi-Betacam that arn't as expensive as say the fully fledged XDCAM HD shoulder mount cameras which I was considering but a bit hesatent at the price.

This is what attracted me to the JVC HD cameras, things like a proper lens similar to a 2/3" one except smaller (and a lot cheaper), the fact that its HD and also the shoulder mount factor that I love about the full size cameras.

I am more concerned about quality than price 'cause I don't want to spend thousands and be dissapointed. I'd rather wait a year or two, save up a bundle of money and get something that puts my DVX to shame

P.S. thanks for the quick, good replies!

7. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    If you really want an HD100, I'll sell you mine. Just over a year old, well taken care of and babied, with less than 50 hours on it.

8. Collapse Details
    Picture Quality or Format Quality?
    I'm in the same boat. I shoot a lot of Corp/Indy AV, some event video and TV long-form. Have been using BetaSP and DVCAM (PD100a) and while they work fine, they are getting old and showing their age. Looked at the HD-110 & 200, nice cams, decent performance but the low-light sensitivity just doesn't hit the mark for the many "down & dirty" conference videos and religious clients where lighting is "what you see is what you get".

Someone was writing about the DSR450 here as a good intermediate way to go until the HDV / HD prosumer/semi-pro cameras get better. The EX HDCAM looks good but it's still too new for me to jump on the bandwagon.

You have to ask yourself what market is it you're in and do your clients need to hear the words "High Def" in your proposal? Most of us are still going to be delivering in SD for the foreseeable future. And while some cams like the DSR450 are SD, they do a heckuva job that allows for upconversion if you really need to deliver on HD format. Plus the workflow in SD is easier, less prone to bottlenecks (for the moment) and the price performance...wow!

I'm thinking about going that way for a leetle while looonger until I hear clients telling me they require HD. Of course, I may just get a Z1U or similar to have on standby.

FWIW

Chuck

9. Collapse Details
    Most churches have a huge video panel, or wall of panels, and I can see where Hi Def would make a difference in quality.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaileymediaman View Post

Is there any cameras out there that handle like a shoulder mount DVCPRO or Digi-Betacam that arn't as expensive as say the fully fledged XDCAM HD shoulder mount cameras which I was considering but a bit hesatent at the price.
    Sure!!!! HPX500
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast