Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Am I risking my footage by using finder to drag and drop from one Hard drive to another?
    Thousands of people do this every day without problems.

Of course, several write in every week talking about issues they've had.

I am not sure what to tell people, because it's all Mac stuff. I've tried to create as bulletproof a workflow as is possible. Using P2CMS to do the copying will give you data verification and will avoid any chance of user error. If you know exactly what you're doing, you can probably get away with a finder copy. Problem is, everybody thinks they know what they're doing, yet the problems keep occurring.

I wouldn't do it. And I'm not comforted by all those who say "I do it all the time and it works just fine", because that doesn't help those who are having problems.

One thing I've heard is that you shouldn't try to copy from one FAT32 device to another FAT32 device on MacOS, that it's less stable. Don't know why that would be, but that's what I was told. Also, that it's not the most resilient thing to do, to try copying from one external firewire FAT32 device to another external FAT32 device through firewire. I asked if they were asserting that copying from one external fAT32 firewire hard disk to another external fat32 firewire hard disk could lead to occasional/rare file corruption and was told "yes, it could happen." So, take that for what it's worth, which is not much. I'd use P2CMS with verification if I was working on a Mac. Or some other tool, like P2 Genie maybe, as long as it does a proper verification.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks Barry,

I will modify my workflow to incorporate P2CMS on all transfers. Also thanks for advising on the Fat32 issue as I was moments away from doing the exact workflow that you recommend against. Again thanks from all of us who gain valuable info from you.

paul

3. Collapse Details
    I've been using P2CMS on a Macbookpro for a while now for P2 card backups it is very easy to use and seams to be very stable. One problem I do have with it is that all the media files it copies to the backup destination become locked. In order to erase them I need to open up each individual file and unlock them. At the end of a long shoot that could easily result in having hundreds of files to unlock this is a headache. Is there a setting for the program to copy over the files to the database unlocked?
    Thanks.
    Nir Shelter - Data Wrangler/DIT/AC/3D engineer (3Ality)
    www.datashelter.com.au

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Guys,
    I'm having issues tranferring files from my HVX via Firewire to OSX 10.5.5..
    They dont load on Desktop using the correct procedure....
    Have i missed something...btw it worked fine b4...But i dont remember when the problem started...I am using the Firewire 800 port for my Caldigit...would this effect it??
    Any ideas??
    cheers
    Andrew Mazzoli
    Spearhead Advertising
    HVX202EN/Extreme/HPX372EN/AF102EN
    NikonD300 D800

5. Collapse Details
    I don't trust tape or drives
    For camera dude and dudettes that don't run and gun.

HPX500 Production flow. (you're always fighting bus speed, drive write speed, CPU speed)

I have one 32 gig card (for now).

USB2.0 from cam to a 4gigRAM MACPRO laptop. (for strange reasons USB is faster than firewire on MACPRO, I think it's a bus throughput issue) I generally save to an 7200rpm external 750gig estata drive using an estata card in the newer mac superduper pci slot. (Slow firewire: I think the firewire and PCI share the same bus, not sure). I don't save to the laptop drive because it's only a 4200rpm drive with a slow write speed. If you buy the latest mac laptop they come with a 7200rpm fast write speed which should be faster than my esata set up because you won't be bogging down multiple bus buffers.

Everyone take a coffee break!

Load FCP, select FILE, Click: Log and Transfer
    All clips show up with thumbnails.
    Select and drag the clips you want to transfer
    See the progress of each clip download.
    If one clip has a data drop, it gets flagged and you can reimport the clip until it works.
    I like this method because I can instantly check video to be sure it's saved before I
    Reformat the p2 card in the camera.
    Reformat card in cam with cam menu for best results.
    This maybe a slow process but it's a fail safe. I like to know I've got the shot before I delete it.
    This also allows for on site editing, for client review or to make sure you've got all your shots before you wrap.

{why estata?: Playback! At up to 3gigs a second I can view multiple tracks of full res HD on a laptop and edit, render and compress super fast. Keeping me portable. If you do this get a cooler for the laptop.}

Sometimes for double back up I'll drag and drop the contents file as well.
    Last edited by Raknimar; 10-17-2008 at 07:38 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I am not sure what to tell people, because it's all Mac stuff. I've tried to create as bulletproof a workflow as is possible. Using P2CMS to do the copying will give you data verification and will avoid any chance of user error. If you know exactly what you're doing, you can probably get away with a finder copy. Problem is, everybody thinks they know what they're doing, yet the problems keep occurring.
    Hey Barry,
    Thanks for your book, the workflow, and the addendums at the beginning of this post.

Have you heard of blown or damaged firewire/USB ports, not from physical tampering or harm but from P2 transfer? We have two HVX200 here and one MacPro. One of the HVX200s has a broken firewire port, the Mac Pro has a broken firewire, USB and a failing USB in the back (when i say broken on the MacPro, the machine will not mount any external drive). This is a multi-user environment and most of our clients are rejecting the P2CMS because it adds extra time to their workflow that led me to start wondering: while transferring P2 from the camera, are they holding down the MCR button before checking to make sure that the HVX200 is set to the proper mode: USB device, 1394 device or host..... could this be zapping the mac?

I'm going to try an all around firmware update to see if something can be solved but this last bit above encourages me to pick your brain.
    in the meantime, have you heard of any one else who has had this problem?

thanks for your stickies!
    B

7. Collapse Details
    end of file tag missing
    I have a problem with one FS-100 file which I already offloaded and reformatted the Fs 100.
    Now I find myself with the last file ( 1.72GB) which is a QT.mov. Somehow the FS 100 when it was full, did not write the end of file tag. Is there a way to open this .mov Quicktime file? I tried VLC and what not, none of the apps I have can open the file.

If anybody has an idea how to salvage this file I would be tremendously relieved

8. Collapse Details
    Ha! I found it myself: load the corrupted file back into the Fs 100 and run its file repair utility....
    had to do it 5 times but in the end I got the file back !!!! This after weeks of having recorded over the disc, reformatted it and recorded again over it.....the file was backed up and has now been resurrected!!!

9. Collapse Details
    P2CMS doesnt recognize files, orange light blinking on card slot of hpx170
    I cant figure out why the p2 card slot flashes orange, and P2CMS doesnt recognize my files to ingest them.. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

10. Collapse Details
    Help!
    I imported the P2 footage into P2CMS.
    Launch Final Cut Pro 6... Open "Log and Transfer"..... As I preview the footage in the log and transfer window (before adding clip to queue), the image freezes and I get this message Warning "...contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media".. The Warning message is inconsistent, though, only pops up on a couple of the clips from the P2CMS folder.
    Suggestions?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast