Thread: Film Look

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    shortnstout,
    My apologies, I meant the expression "magic bullet" not the program. I meant there is no simple "press this button" solution , but you haev to use your eyes to do matching.
    I have limited experience in post and was only talking about matching during shooting. I bow to your greater knowledge and perhaps there literally is a "magic bullet" in this case. However even then you would need to use your eyes & skill to make it work rather than apply the "match to Redrock & nikon" filter.

Lenny Levy

2. Collapse Details
    I knew you meant the expression "magic bullet." I just thought it was a funny coincidence that there IS actually a program that is in part used for this very purpose. I wasn't trying to sound like I know everything about post color correction and am superior to you. Its fine you were just talking about shooting, I was just letting the user know of another tool they can use to get the shots in the final output to match up.
    On THAT note, in Magic Bullet the program you can save custom filters so you could have one called "match to Redrock & nikon" that you throw on your footage to do just that. But of course you'd have to set that up and also make little tweaks anyway. I've always thought the product name was misleading but it is a good tool.

i guess there is no magic bullet in conveying tone over a forum.
    i still love you.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Well... if you can come up with the "match to Redrock & nikon" look then I will stand completely corrected! Unfortunately I guess even every "magic bullet" has its price. How much is the program?

And thanks for the love baby!

Lenny

4. Collapse Details

definitely has its price, but you can see if you like it with a demo version for free (has a stupid watermark over image): http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/demos.html
    takes some time working with it to get it to work nicely. again, i never ever use the presets, just make slight changes, but usually to everything right before output (shouldn't use it if going to film out).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Forgot to mention that there will be a difference in the footage's look. Not just the selective focus, but it'll look different so you'd have to figure out how to match it to the naked cam.

That's what I'm attempting to do, myself. I haven't found a solution to make the naked HVX footage match the look of the adapter footage just yet. Aram suggested a 1pixel blur, I'll have to expirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimurCivan View Post
    1 pixel may be too much. but shoot like cinegamma D when shooting naked and Bpress when shooting adapter. that may matchthem up a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel Stanley View Post
    on FCP expiriment between point 1 and point 25
    This is a great thread. Timur, great post on page 1.

I am curious about this talk of 1 pixel blur and Jack's comment about "point 1 and point 25." I use FCP and I don't know what this means.

6. Collapse Details
    Think they're just talking about using a blur effect on the naked footage to take the edge off it to better match the softer adaptor footy. I think when Jack said point 25 he meant '.25', as in a quarter pixel blur.

7. Collapse Details
    Ah! Gotcha. "point" as in a decimal point!

Thanks

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you Timur for a Great post. I just downloaded your work reel and I'm blown away. Your techniques definitely work. Everything looks like film. You're incredible.
    Thank you for sharing knowledge

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musicprogirl View Post
    Thank you Timur for a Great post. I just downloaded your work reel and I'm blown away. Your techniques definitely work. Everything looks like film. You're incredible.
    Thank you for sharing knowledge
    thanks!
    That stuff is over a year and a half old... new reel soon! im so excited.....
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

10. Collapse Details
    That post on page one was really informative, thanks Timur!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast