Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HVX200 P2 FCP Workflow Training DVD from Noah- now available!

Hi Folks-

If you are constantly pulling your hair out when working with the HVX200 and Final Cut Pro, I have great news. My new Call Box training DVD gives you the A to Z on P2 in FCP. Topics covered include:

• P2 Field Workflow
    • 720p and 1080i
    • Variable Frame Rates
    • Open Format Timeline Editing
    • P2 Ingest
    • Metadata Management Techniques
    • P2 Store and P2 Drive
    • Output to Apple Color
    • Output for 24p DVD
    • Native MXF editing with Raylight
    • and much more...
    Check it out:
    http://www.callboxlive.com/products/...and-the-hvx200

Hope you enjoy and thanks again for the great support and feedback on our last DVD, Color.

-Noah
    Last edited by NoahK; 10-03-2007 at 04:49 AM.
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

2. Collapse Details
    i picked up this copy two months ago. good stuff.

3. Collapse Details
    i still dont understand why ppl would go with FCP to edit from p2 cameras....i use my hvx200 with the firestore and premiere pro cs3 natively. it can handle the p2 files without the need for a 3rd party plugin. plus, no need to render in premiere pro when you add a filter...it shows up in the preview window immediately when you drop an effect on your clips...that alone should be reason for ppl with the hvx to edit with premiere pro - just my 2cents.

-connor

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
    i still dont understand why ppl would go with FCP to edit from p2 cameras....i use my hvx200 with the firestore and premiere pro cs3 natively. it can handle the p2 files without the need for a 3rd party plugin. plus, no need to render in premiere pro when you add a filter...it shows up in the preview window immediately when you drop an effect on your clips...that alone should be reason for ppl with the hvx to edit with premiere pro - just my 2cents.

-connor
    Connor-

Very true- other NLEs like Vegas and Premiere do offer native MXF editing out of the box but we find that just isn't necessary for a lot of FCP users. For those that do require it, there's several 3rd party options including Raylight, Calibrated and MXF4Mac. So that alone doesn't strike me as a strong enough reason to switch away from FCP as a platform or vice versa.

Also there is not any rendering required of most effects, filters, transitions in the current version of FCP- and hasn't been since FCP 3. It's about on par with or better than Premiere in the real-time effects rendering dept.

-Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahK View Post
    Connor-

Very true- other NLEs like Vegas and Premiere do offer native MXF editing out of the box
    Vegas offers native editing out of the box? I have version 8 - am I missing something?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
    Vegas offers native editing out of the box? I have version 8 - am I missing something?
    No. You need Raylight. But you don't have to create proxy files; you just drop the MXFs on the timeline.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Clint Nitkiewiz Hernandez's Avatar
    Noah, do you cover much about 1080pa?
    Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
    Like my feature on Facebook!!! http://www.facebook.com/pages/One-St...e/345728547289
    http://www.newelementfx.com/ - Visual Effects Reel
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3436857/ - IMDB Credits

8. Collapse Details
    Noah

I dont remember.. does your DVD cover converting p2 RAW footage to SD? I have p2 footage 720 24pn that i need to down convert to SD before i do my edits since i will be mixing the converted footage with vx2100 sd footage on a DV time line in FCP 6.0 (4x3 aspect ratio)

I could be wring but couldn’t i also just mix both footage together on a DVCPRO HD timeline, do all my edits, then render out as self contained QT mov file, bring into Compressor and down convert to SD? Will everything come out right? My hvx footage is 23.98fps and (shot at 720 24pn) and vx2100 footage is SD shot at 29.98fps

thanks.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvideo View Post
    Noah

I dont remember.. does your DVD cover converting p2 RAW footage to SD? I have p2 footage 720 24pn that i need to down convert to SD before i do my edits since i will be mixing the converted footage with vx2100 sd footage on a DV time line in FCP 6.0 (4x3 aspect ratio)

I could be wring but couldn’t i also just mix both footage together on a DVCPRO HD timeline, do all my edits, then render out as self contained QT mov file, bring into Compressor and down convert to SD? Will everything come out right? My hvx footage is 23.98fps and (shot at 720 24pn) and vx2100 footage is SD shot at 29.98fps

thanks.
    Sure the disc describes how to downconvert. I would not recommend mixing 29.97 with 23.98 footage on one timeline. One format needs to be converted to the other first. I'd pick the format that has the highest percentage of footage in the final cut.

So if you have 90% 24p and 10% 29.97, convert the 29.97 to 24p and vice versa. Here's a plugin that handles it either way, don't rely on FCP's open format timeline for the best results:

http://www.nattress.com/Products/sta...conversion.htm

Noah

10. Collapse Details
    Late response bit hey I'll take it.. Thanks Noah. So any chance in a quick 123 on how to use the plugin? The project I had at the time.. I ended up down converting the 720 footage to SD. I then brought everything in a new TL set at SD 4x3. I was not to happy with the results. Client did not notice anything but I did. I would appreciate a quick walk through if you have time since I do another another project next month and I will be using the same cameras. I'm thinking of shooting all SD though until I can get a better image.. Thanks again Noah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast