Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quite an informative article.

Thanks a bunch.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

2. Collapse Details
    so if i understand this correctly - a rolling shutter CMOS and a global shutter CCD both with the same settings may render motion differently - correct?
    SLM Production Group
    http://www.slmproduction.com - HPX500 available

3. Collapse Details
    Most definitely correct. A CCD is going to blur the motion of the overall frame. A rolling-shutter CMOS is going to expose as it goes. So if something began moving late in the frame, the CCD will show the blur, the CMOS will show much of the frame clear, and the rest blurred.

If there's constant motion, then the CCD will show constant blur whereas the CMOS will actually change the shape of the motion because different portions will be exposed in different areas of the frame, sometimes being duplicated (if the motion is racing down the scan) or perhaps even being skipped (if the motion is moving against the scan).

The faster the readout, the less of an issue this will be. Red claims to have fixed the rolling shutter issues they had; don't know how Sony's EX will perform. The V1/FX7 has it, and all the less-expensive cameras have it.

How does film perform? A rotating mirror shutter has some characteristics in common with each, but I'd say that it's probably 80% more like a global CCD shutter. Depends on your shutter angle, of course, the tighter the shutter angle the more film exposure would resemble a rolling shutter. But for normal exposure there's huge swaths of time where the whole frame is exposed simultaneously, thus more closely mimicking the effect of a global shutter.

4. Collapse Details
    Good to see this article.
    Look outside...Do you see noise?

5. Collapse Details
    Hopefully not already asked or maybe not relevant, but how do the CMOS and CCD type of image gathering relate to the way the human eye works? Are we more like one than the other?

Thanks,

Michael Erlewine
    Heart Center Studio
    Michael Erlewine
    Founder All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com
    Heart Center Studios, MacroStop.com, SpiritGrooves.net, Matrix Software, etc.

6. Collapse Details
    Global shutter definitely. The human brain processes everything in parallel.

7. Collapse Details
    Iīd like to ask if the problem with writing whole image to memory couldnīt be solved by implementing some kind of CACHE memory. (Iīm just wondering if there are other problems than amount of space consumed by this solution and itīs price.)

8. Collapse Details
    Great read and very nice examples!

I do want to point out that the link to the Jason Rodriguez explanation is not working properly: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....5514#post35514

It's bringing up some unrelated, AFICT, thread on Reduser.
    Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12