Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sound Devices MixPre?
    Hi everyone,

Just needing some reviews of Sound Devices MixPre field mixer. My brother has already bought one for me whilst abroad and although I have heard some good things about it, I don't really know if this is true.

If anyone has any experience with this mixer I would be very grateful for any info and oppinions.

Thank you for any replies!

2. Collapse Details
    Any of the Sound Devices products are great. I have the SD302 and I love it. Check out some of the posts on the Audio portion of this forum and you should find plenty of info. (Use the "search" bar at the top of the menu). You don't see too many of them for sale used and that's a good sign that peope are hanging onto them and like them. Customer support at Sound Devices is great also. Really nice people there. I think you will really like the product! Hope this helps.

3. Collapse Details
    he is the dark side that noone tell you :-)
    very limiting device and has only 2 inputs , no line ins , no ability to disconnect the phantom individually , not enough gain to run low output mics ,
    the battery life is s*%t with phantom power on and led illumination ,
    no mic level outs , no individual high pass filter
    no individual channel monitoring , no ms matrix , no headphone ms matrix
    the pots are to small
    let say if you need mixer its not something to consider , if you need additional preamp to add to your setup it could work .
    by the way it sounds good what doesnt make it ideal for normal jobs

4. Collapse Details
    Batt life is about 5-6 hrs with NiMh rechargables and 48V phantom on.
    Really good, preamp, very limited mixer - but then that's not what it is really.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

5. Collapse Details
    the mixpre is a great starter mixer if you can live w/o what oleg said (and many people can). It is much better than just going into camera. It also holds it's value well when you are ready to upgrade to an SD302 later.

6. Collapse Details
    grate is not , something to live with- barely

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleg 2 View Post
    he is the dark side that noone tell you :-)
    very limiting device and has only 2 inputs , no line ins , no ability to disconnect the phantom individually , not enough gain to run low output mics ,
    the battery life is shi* with phantom power on and led illumination ,
    no mic level outs , no individual high pass filter
    no individual channel monitoring , no ms matrix , no headphone ms matrix
    the pots are to small
    let say if you need mixer its not something to consider , if you need additional preamp to add to your setup it could work .
    by the way it sounds good what doesnt make it ideal for normal jobs

What pre-amp would you consider then? Does the SoundDevices 442 offer all of those features?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastasean View Post
    What pre-amp would you consider then? Does the SoundDevices 442 offer all of those features?
    I have a 442 and it's a terrific piece of work. If your budget will allow it and the nature of your work is such that it will cover your needs, I can't think of anything to cause hesitation. And yes, it answers all of Oleg's objections to the MixPre, plus it has other useful features as well such as excellent metering with variable ballistics, etc. I'm a big believer in buying once even if it's overkill for the immediate situation, buying right, and being done with it.

9. Collapse Details
    The 442 of course is great, the 302 is popular due to it's price vs. quality/features. Can't beat imo. But - it all depends on your uses. Imo simply having a preamp and not jacking your mics directly into the camera is a huge upgrade already. If you don't know what Oleg is saying (ie: using two or more more mics -- oh wait only can use two with mixpre =) then it may be perfect for you. You need to really see WHAT you need in your field mixer/preamp. Two channels? More? More channels = more money, about double). And with two channels or more you well want ALL the options Oleg listed... (for more control).

I have used but don't own a 302, do want it badly, (442 sure but I guess I don't want to be done wiuth it =) Atm 302 more then will need) I have a mixpre, I didn't have enough for the 302 at the time a few years ago when I got it, and needed something quick, got that used only for lol 50 dollars less than retail on ebay (I saw one recently go for MORE than retail price (with shipping costs...)

Now I wish I waited for the 302, will never ever say wasted 1300 or less if lucky enough to find one. MM-1, MixPre, 302, 442, all basically double in price from the previous, with credit cards it's hard to argue to go for the big boy, MORE DEBT MORE DEBT! But really I find most people asking these questions would be better renting one or getting something less.

The regulars of these forums (like Steve, Oleg, Matt, Sane, others) NEED more than what MixPre offers. BUT - personally I know it holds extremely well in price, and heh CAN use in conjunction with 302 if get that, or your boom op wants a thing (I'd rather give him a MixPre then a MM-1 although I knew a boom op who loved that little SD MM-1 =) Anyays ranting now - the end.
    "The grass will not grow in the sand... it will only grow in the dirt!"

10. Collapse Details
    who give a s*%t how it hold the price , you wont to hold a price buy bonds ,not mixer .about 302 , is one of the greatest per number failure mixer i know , no one ever tell you that , but i never sow so many going back to factory because different reasons( iam testing these for Israeli wendor and write the reports what wrong before it ships back and that incl mine, 48 ph failure )
    waiting for sonosax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast