Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    nice footage, but i couldnt help but notice that the adapter wasnt vibrating? The ground glass was very noticeable. did you not have it on?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
    Actor
    Musician
    Filmmaker

2. Collapse Details
    Hey guys,

Thanks for looking. The the ground glass was vibrating, but the lens shade that I had on was inadequate for blocking extraneous light and it actually makes the ground class slightly visible. So I need to invest in a proper mattebox and maybe ND filters. I didn't know that this was a problem with 35mm adapters when I was shooting because I couldn't tell through the LCD. Live and learn.

Ian-t: I actually haven't changed the two videos I posted at all. They should be identical however the smaller of the two has pretty bad compression that could lend to the color looking different and the shot of the man smiling at the windmill might be as clear with the poor compression.

Thanks,
    Ando

3. Collapse Details
    are you ABSOLUTELY sure that the GG was vibrating, because i was staring at areas of the image while the video was going, and i assure you, there was no motion at all. ill take some stills to show ya if need be?

at 30 seconds, the white sheet shows the ground glass, making it seem static. i could see a pattern that wasnt moving.

When we go in for a closer look at the white sheet, this effect is amplified.
    Last edited by PaPa; 09-25-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Actor
    Musician
    Filmmaker

4. Collapse Details
    Visuals are fantastic for an HV20. Interesting story almost makes me want to know much more...but I found actor not engaging enough. We don't know if it was his child or another's who apparently perished in a house fire, but I think the actor should portray some more emotion, either with tears or eye intensity (close ups would help with this), or flawed movements which betray mental anguish. I am confident this will build as you continue. Excellent work. Can't wait to see more.

I agree w/ PaPa, GG is clearly visible in the sky.

5. Collapse Details
    im simply worried, because if that is what the letus is capable of with the vibration on, what kind of problems might we run into with the new extreme ( even though it is a finer grain )

Actor
    Musician
    Filmmaker

6. Collapse Details
    I'm absolutely sure the GG was vibrating. It is actually more grainy when off and looks more like grain. One factor maybe that I was using rechargeable batteries in it that are a little weaker then standard AA's. They are 1.2v instead of 1.5v but it didn't seem to vibrate any slower or faster.

I talked to the original owner of this Letus35 FE and he said that you can sometimes see the GG if you are outside in really bright light and don't have a mattebox. He said that I could help get rid of it with ND filters or stopping down, but that having a mattebox was probably the biggest thing.

I was doing some tests last night in my house and I tried a different lens. I used a 50mm f1.8 nikon and all the grain seemed to disappear in my tests. Then I put on the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to see if I could see the grain, but I could not see any of the grain still. I chalk it up to being in a lot lower light than when I shoot outside before.

I'll try to do some tests outside today to see if I can reproduce this grain and fix the problem. Also, I'll try the 50mm nikon outside since the footage from the short was done only with the Tamron.

Papa, please post those stills where you see the grain present if you can. That would give us and everyone else something to reference.

Thanks,
    Ando

7. Collapse Details
    Hey marketmd,

I have other takes of all the shots so I can use some other more expressive takes. Right now, I actually want to keep it ambiguous about who died in the fire, but just to let the audience know that someone did died and this man feels anguish about it.

I think it will be explained more with the rest of the footage when I shoot it. It's great to get these comments now because it will help me when shooting to make sure I get the shots I need.

Thanks,
    Ando

8. Collapse Details
    it was silly of me to say grabs, what you need to look at is motion. If you go between 39 seconds and 44 seconds, the grain is clearly visible on the sheet of paper. Because the actor moves the paper ever so slightly, it givesa great example of the static GG element. The grainy pattern stays quite still as the paper moves under it, as if it were a transparent layer beneath something still. kinda like wearing glasses with small marks on the lenses. The marks stay where they are, but everything else moves.

Actor
    Musician
    Filmmaker

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
    it was silly of me to say grabs, what you need to look at is motion. If you go between 39 seconds and 44 seconds, the grain is clearly visible on the sheet of paper. Because the actor moves the paper ever so slightly, it givesa great example of the static GG element. The grainy pattern stays quite still as the paper moves under it, as if it were a transparent layer beneath something still. kinda like wearing glasses with small marks on the lenses. The marks stay where they are, but everything else moves.
    I agree with you Papa. This is one of the first things I noticed when watching the clip (the static ground glass' grain moving with every pan). The overall picture looks great however...but until now I thought this was done on purpose.

10. Collapse Details
    No problem, ando...look forward to what you come up with next. I too enjoy this process. Together we help each other.

Now as to your HV20 settings...can you give us a rundown?

1. How hard to get HV20 focused on Letus GG each time?
    2. What settings used on HV20 (24p/Cine...or did you use Barry's cell phone trick?)
    3. NLE used and pulldown removal method
    4. Lighting/filters used, if any

Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast