Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Collapse Details
    As usual robert, I love your work. Great looking images. One thing I'm constantly amazed about with this project is how I never realized you didn't use an adapter until I thought about it. It doesn't seem to be lacking dof, the images are fine as they are. Makes you think.
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

2. Collapse Details
    That's an interesting observation. Not using an adapter was a bit of a controversy amongst my colleagues at the time. And it really came down to the fact that I didn't want an extra layer of equipment/technology that needed attention, noodling and futzing with. We were on such a TIGHT schedule that we had to setup and shoot as fast as possible. And it turned out to be a very grueling shoot. I couldn't imagine it with yet another layer of front-end preening. From what I understand today's adapters are much easier to use and require a lot less attention.

At the end of the day our 6X, 20X and 16X Manual got the job done (just don't ask our focus puller what he thought of the 6x and 20x ;) ).

But don't get me wrong, there are times where I see shots and I scream, "Everything is in focus! Argh!" But to be bluntly honest, most of the time you don't really notice. And because we were using lighting and ND to control exposure our DOF characteristics mostly resemble an F900.
    Last edited by Robert Sanders; 10-29-2008 at 12:52 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Some before-and-after of the grading. The "before" images are right out of the camera.

4. Collapse Details
    Awesome grabs, I'm pretty surprised with how much colour you guys were able to bring back from such blue images.
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

5. Collapse Details
    I was surprised too. It was the cinematographer's original intention to go with an "uncorrected HMI" look. A kind of "James Cameron" look. But, like all filmmakers, we changed our minds. It should be noted that we can't push the image much more than this.

We put a lot of Red back into the blacks (which oddly brought the flesh-tones back), pushed the midrange into the green a little, and left the whites relatively untouched. We crushed the black about 8 points, dropped the gamma about 10 points to .90, and pushed the whites up about 15 points (270). Crushing the blacks and dropping the gamma pushed up saturation considerably, so we brought the whole saturation level down about 20 points. Plus a ton of vignettes.

6. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Is there a cast listing?
    Looks fantastic, BTW.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Anthony Horrigan; 11-10-2008 at 06:22 PM.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    Is there a cast listing?
    Looks fantastic, BTW.

Mike
    Thanks. Cast is listed on our website:

http://www.starwaypictures.com/theblackout

8. Collapse Details
    I have tickets available for the premiere of "The Blackout" at The Landmark Theater. PM if you're interested.

9. Collapse Details
    "The Blackout" will be screened at Cannes on Thursday, May 14th at 5:30pm and on Sunday, May 17th at 1:30pm (both screenings in the Gray 4 screening room). Contact Michael Paszt at Cinemavault Releasing for more information at the Cannes Booth Riviera G5/H8. Tel: +33 (0) 4 92 99 32 15.

10. Collapse Details
    Hi,Robert!
    That's a great work what you did.Because i want to buy the XLH1, So I Find you website when i search the informations about XLH1,I saw those pictures which behind the scene,I can feeling professional you are,The lighting looks nice,although that not through viewfinder
    Today i find this forum through a Taiwan's forum.Very lucky i think,because i meet the informations of the film again~~I got many useful things,really nice!
    Hope see you film in some day.
    I'm planning buy a XLH1 for a documentary of Beijing shooting,Could you give me some suggestion for XLH1?Thank you!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910