Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It's coming: IBC 2007, RAI conference center, Amsterdam, Netherlands. September 7-12
    Cool
    It's that time of year again.. the annual IBC trade-show in Amsterdam is upon us.

The 2nd largest trade-show (after NAB), IBC is where products announced at NAB are presented and new products are unveiled. As normal, I'll be representing DVXuser on location at IBC, reporting on all the latest developments.
    This year I hope to provide photos and video directly from the show floor using some new camera-phone technology as part of an international engineering trial in collaboration with my school; the EVTEK university of applied sciences.

Last year we reported on the first footage from RED, and premieres the first footage from the Canon G1/A1 and Sony V1 cameras. The year before that we saw the first working HVX prototypes in the flesh, and caught the first glimpses of the XL-H1.

With RED set to ship shortly, and Sony's XDCAM-EX arriving to shake up the field of cameras, it's any body's guess as to what this years show will bring.

This area of the forum is all for discussion of anything and everything IBC 2007. It will also be where all the latest news from the show will be posted or linked to.

A rough schedule of how things normally tend to go...

Before the show:
    Many companies make press-releases in the days before IBC.
    Often Apple, and other companies, have press events just before IBC.
    Loads of rumors (some of them true) tend to spread all over the Internet amid speculation of upcoming products.
    Friday, 12:00 CET (11:00 UK-time, 06:00 EST, 03:00 PST):
    The trade-show floor opens to the public (and the press).
    Most all remaining product announcements and press releases are made public.
    Friday afternoon CET:
    The best place to be at this point is online.
    Manufacturers do their best to update their websites, some are better at this than others.
    I do my best to track down any breaking news from the show floor as new products are unveiled. (This is incredibly difficult as there are about 1000 different companies, all trying to show their latest and greatest. Anyone on the show floor really doesn't know what's going on anywhere except directly around them.)
    Initial reports from the show come online, but still very sparsely.
    Friday evening, 18:00 CET (17:00 UK, 12:00 EST, 09:00 PST):
    The trade-show floor closes for the first day.
    People online are frustrated at the seeming lack of news from the show.
    People at the show are exhausted and heading back to their hotels/friend's couches (yeah, that's where I'm sleeping) with cameras full of photographs and hands full of brochures and press releases that haven't been read.
    Friday evening (later) ~20:00+ CET (19:00+ UK, 14:00+ EST, 11:00+ PST):
    The first concise (intelligible) reports and photos begin to be published as the attendees in Amsterdam begin to re-group after the first day and get materials prepared, written, and uploaded.
    People viewing online rejoice after the painful wait.
    Atendees frantically try to read through the mass of papers in their hand and the forums online, still trying to understand everything that has just taken place and been announced. Plans are made for what to see on Saturday.
    Saturday:
    Atendees have a much better grasp of what is being presented at IBC and what should be covered.
    Initial reports from Friday are confirmed and denied.
    Saturday evening:
    Proper writeups about the biggest stories at IBC are finally published.
    Atendees read each other's reports and start to look for not-yet covered stories for Sunday.
    Sunday:
    Coverage extends into the mass of "not so big" happenings at the show, transitioning from a "breaking news" environment to more in-depth reporting.
    Monday:
    Finally everyone has an idea of what's happening and communication is fully 2-way between attendees and people online.
    Tuesday:
    Last minute details are reported, and more smaller product releases are discovered and investigated.
    Tuesday 16:00 CET (15:00 UK, 10:00 EST, 07:00 PST):
    The IBC trade-show floor closes.
    Atendees head home or participate in post-IBC events.
    Very few reports are published.
    Wednesday - Friday+:
    Attendees return home and rest for a moment before tackling the mass of information they have gathered.
    Full writeups of IBC are made, picture galleries are compiled and published. Details on the smaller products investigated on Monday and Tuesday are published.

With that out of the way...

What are things that people are particularly interested in this year? Where should I be focusing my efforts to provide coverage?
    The more information I can get before I go, the faster I can get up to speed at the show.

- Mikko
    Last edited by mikkowilson; 08-23-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

3. Collapse Details
    What is your word on Red? Any threat on it here or elsewhere?

Thanks
    Doc

4. Collapse Details
    Thread...not threat.

5. Collapse Details
    RED is always a threat.

Discussion about RED is all at www.reduser.net

And yes they will be at IBC again.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson View Post
    What are things that people are particularly interested in this year? Where should I be focusing my efforts to provide coverage?
    As someone about to make a camera purchase (most likely the HVX 200), I am really interested in the XDCAM EX and whether that is something that might change my mind.

Just a personal opinion. Have fun at the show!

7. Collapse Details
    I'll second M Street here, I'll be particularly interested on everything you can dig up about the XDCAM EX Mikko. Looking forward to your coverage.

8. Collapse Details
    XDCAM-EX is definatly on my coverage list for IBC.

What else do you want me to report on?

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson View Post
    XDCAM-EX is definatly on my coverage list for IBC.

What else do you want me to report on?

- Mikko
    I suspect there will be quite a flood of EX information post IBC from what I'm hearing. I'd be especially interested in what (if anything) you can gleam from Sony about further SxS developments, such as the likelihood of 2/3" SxS cameras or such as combined disc/SxS cameras.

Also facts such as whether the EX will *only* work with SxS, or whether generic ExpressCard memory can be used. (Albeit with probably slower download speed.)

10. Collapse Details
    Mikko, how about ON Board monitors? Cheap and good? some tests, opinions?

The Hoodman P2 cards- will they be there?

Panasonic booth coverage- what will they do to "counter"the EX hype?

P2 Price drops report (this will happen if the EX cards are a lot more affordable...)

Steadicam announcements. You're an expert on the subject- can you take a look at Steadicams/dollys that seem a good value for money for an HVX/ RED/HPX? Upgrade is my next step... ( I have a glidecam smoothshooter+4000)

And please do check out the SI 2k- compare it to RED, its price, availability, Workflow, etc.

Lots of requests, but being 10 000 + Kilometres away is tough...

And do have fun with all those toys! Wish I was there!

SPZ
    SÚrgio Perez
    Macanese Director
    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast