Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mac Users: Stop Deleting The Contents Directory
    Hey, here's a red alert for Mac users: the firmware has changed in the cameras, and that means that you might have to adopt a slightly different workflow!

Mac computers don't allow formatting the P2 cards, so Mac users have frequently been just deleting the CONTENTS directory (and executing a force-delete). THAT WON'T WORK ANYMORE.

The new firmware won't recognize a P2 card unless it has that directory structure. If you do that, the camera won't recognize the card, and will instead display a message like "FORMAT ERR" or "DIRECTORY NG". This is, IINM, why the current version of P2 Genie's erasing of cards can't be used anymore either. They'll have to update P2 Genie to erase all the files within the directories, while keeping the directory structure extant. Until they do that, don't use P2 Genie's "erase" feature with a current-firmware camera.

Formatting the cards works fine in the P2 Store, or P2 Gear, or in camera. The question comes up when we're talking about hot-swapping cards for continuous recording. This is where you may need to adopt a slightly different workflow, because deleting everything off the card simply won't work anymore.

For Windows users, just use the "format" option; it'll do what you need.

For Mac users, you cannot just delete all the directories anymore. What you need to do is use P2CMS, select all the clips and then delete them. That'll erase all the files while preserving the directory structure. P2CMS is a free download.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 09-01-2007 at 08:39 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Barry:

Any clue why the manual for the Mac version includes a format command, but the application does not?

3. Collapse Details
    No real clue whatsoever. I sure wish it did have it though!

4. Collapse Details
    I'm still a few firmware revisions behind -- what's the last version that this isn't an issue for?

I offload using GNU/Linux by hooking the camera up via USB, so I can't use the P2 Viewer's format command. I could just write a script that would only delete the appropriate files (and keep the directory structure intact), but I'd like to have the option not too if I can.

Also, has anyone verified if the camera will let you downgrade to a previous firmware? Or are you stuck once you've upgraded?
    Tony Lovasco
    Twisted Lincoln, Inc.
    www.twistedlincoln.com

5. Collapse Details
    i'm not sure i understand what's going on here.

formatting the P2 cards has always worked fine on my mac. You just have to unlock the lastclip.txt file, then trash everything & empty the trash, voila.

if the directory structure is required, then why would formatting work in windows?

6. Collapse Details
    You're not formatting; that's the point. You're just erasing the card -- getting rid of all the data.

That worked before the most recent firmware upgrade, but it no longer works (though it will continue to work if you haven't updated your firmware). There needs to be an existing directory structure on the card, or the camera can't read it. Just erasing the disc -- trashing all the folders -- doesn't get the job done. The various folders (Contents, Video, Audio, Clip, Icon, Etc.) all need to be there.

When you do a Format in Windows, Windows creates the directory structure.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

7. Collapse Details
    no it doesn't. that's nonsense. windows doesn't create directory structures when it formats. i've formatted a million hard drives and they it is empty when it finishes.

8. Collapse Details
    A hard drive isn't a P2 card. And the P2 drivers tell Windows exactly HOW to format it.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

9. Collapse Details
    Correct -- the Windows format utility works in connection with the P2 driver, so when you format a P2 card in Windows it creates the proper directory structure.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mrWr0ng View Post
    formatting the P2 cards has always worked fine on my mac. You just have to unlock the lastclip.txt file, then trash everything & empty the trash, voila.
    That won't work anymore. Lots of people used to do what you describe, and that's why they're running into problems. The new firmware won't recognize a card if it doesn't have the complete CONTENTS directory structure. If you delete the CONTENTS directory, the card won't work. You'll HAVE to format it in-camera in order to make it a valid card again.

The new firmware means that the old shortcut method of erasing cards won't work anymore.

If you only have the old firmware you won't notice any change, but if you start using 16GB cards or later you'll find out that what you used to do won't work anymore.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast