1. Collapse Details
    Hmm- MXF and Final CUt Working Natively?
    I'm sure others have done this, but....

I've never really bothered with trying the mxf files directly in final cut because they preview as unix execuatble files in finder, but while waiting in the airport today I noticed that a couple had a qt preview avaiable instead.

for the hell of it I imported a couple dozen mxfs into final cut directly and had no problem working with them (aside from the fact that it keeps the video and audio as separate clips) - you could merge them manually as you would would a matchback from film (or you could save a ton of time and buy raylight).

Just thought was interesting. maybe they will include a log and transfer without qt conversion in the future?

2. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    Did you install the P2CMS on that system?

3. Collapse Details
    P2CMS installs an MXF importer. Apparently if you have version 7.1 of Quicktime, it brings in the audio too. Apple changed something in QT 7.2 so the audio connection doesn't work anymore.

4. Collapse Details
    But you can bring it in manually.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by THoff View Post
    Did you install the P2CMS on that system?
    oddly enough, no. I was aware of the P2CMS import but it struck me odd that I hadnt installed it yet on that machine. I actually just did a wipe and reinstall of the whole thing.

I do have another machine running QT 7.1 and P2CMS on it.

6. Collapse Details
    Does the 7.1 system bring in the audio when you drag an MXF file to the timeline?

7. Collapse Details
    nope. unless you drag both the video and audio in separately. Interesting enough though I just played around wit hit and....

I noticed that if you start a database and use the ingest command in P2CMS that it builds a filesystem for each clip. So in essence it builds individual P2 volumes for each clip. See image.

you can drag these entire folders into finalcut and it will bring everything in, but its not linked and seems like an orginizational nightmare waiting to happen. You can manually merge the clips though.

I tried to import just the xml files as well, hoping that it would rebuild the clip without creating new media, but it wont open them without a translation document.
    Attached Images Attached Images