1. Collapse Details
    Manfrotto new products incl steadicam Merlin knockoff

Products

This year Manfrotto at IBC, besides the already well known 503HDV video head, presents 4 new products, which will be available in the stores in the next few months.

The new 585 MODOSTEADY. New piece for the MODO family, it is a revolutionary three in one video camera support (shoulder, table and steady), studied to obtain creative and almost professiona shooting with light cameras.

521PFI REMOTE CONTROL: the new Panasonic compatible Manfrotto remote control, features a new better ergonomy and use comfort, plus the new iris and focus combined control in just one device. The product can also easily be set for both right and left hand users, without losing its improved ergonomy.

535 and 536 MPRO with a new single tube technology provide the professionals of the video world with a new solid, sturdy and haeavy duty camera support. Light and fast to use they can carry significant weight and then be the killer product for video market.

2. Collapse Details
    What? Their Fig-Rig suddely not steady enough anymore? They had to go make a Steadicam knockoff...

I will definatly be testing this one out at IBC

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson View Post

I will definatly be testing this one out at IBC

- Mikko
    Did you try it out at IBC?

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah I did.
    It's a peice of junk. Sorry, but it is.

The good news:
    It costs about $120
    You can use it at a table-top tripod

The bad news:
    It costs about $120
    It's made of plastic and wobbles horribly, meaning that it will always add vibration to the shot.
    It has a ball-joint in place of a gimbal, which has so much friction that I was actually instructed (by the reps at the booth) to simply pan & tilt the rig from the handle!! - so there is very little isolation from the operator there; if you hand wobbles, so will the camera (They *really* missed the point there).
    It has very limeted balancing adjustments, making it really hard to get into balance (not that it matters that much thanks to the lack of a gimbal).
    Even in "body/shoulder mode" the flexibilty of the plastic can cause unwanted movement.

I can get a basic table-top tripod with a ball head for about $20. No need to waste $120 on this engineering disaster.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quit beating around the bush and just give it to us straight, Mikko.

6. Collapse Details
    Well in order to make the Modosteady work they would have had to violate the Merlin's patents

7. Collapse Details
    First of, I don't know much about any steadicam type equipment but by looking at those videos on the Monfrotto's site, the Monfrotto's 3 in one Merline looks like a piece of toy. I have never use or hold one but it looks so small and hand held only. I would imagine that by using this 3 in one equipment for a couple of hours would make your arm so tire especially if the camera is 5 pounds and above.

8. Collapse Details
    The world's most boring transformer figurine