1. Collapse Details
    Serious problem.....
    in a few days and I really really need to resolve this issue.

I've purchased a portable HDD that's powered by an external battery. Items were selected from a thread on the subject so should be compatible!. I've connected this to my HVX so I can offload my P2 cards without having to use my MBP (don't want to be flashing around a $4000 MBP in say Guatemala City if you see what I mean!)

The problem is that when its connected using the correct setting i.e. "1394 Host" all it offers me in the menu is Setup> Verify> On/Off. The Format HDD etc. is greyed out.

Interestingly if NO HDD is connect it also offers the same options..... I'm assuming the HVX can't see the HDD??? Is there a setting I've missed somewhere?

I know that there are some SERIOUSLY knowledgeable people here and all I can offer is some majorly good Kama enhancment but please could anyone advise on how to resolve this issue?
    Cheers

Indy.....

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    Thanx I'll give that a go NOW!
    Cheers

Indy.....

4. Collapse Details
    Nope that doesn't cure it.... I press the MCR button and get into thumbnail view then again and it flashes "1394 Host" for 3/4 seconds then I get the greyed out menu. I've tried to press to the MCR button again but to no avail

Indy.....

5. Collapse Details
    How is the hard drive powered. Specifically what power cable from battery to hard drive are you using? if you are using a battery with a usb connector on it you have to use a usb to 3.5mm adapter to connect to hard drives 3.5mm power connector.

Check your firewire cable and make sure it is good.

Connect hard drive to MBP and format to fat32. Then connect to cam a see if it is still greyed out. If its not format with camera.

Its obvious your hard drive is not being recognized and this list might help you get it to be.
    Last edited by mico; 08-27-2007 at 09:27 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    The battery pack is powered via the USB slot as supplied with the charger. Its one of these (as recommended!)....

http://www.amazon.com/APC-UPB10-Mobi...8228081&sr=8-1

I then use the normal FW cable between the HDD and HVX

Indy....
    Last edited by indigo; 08-27-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: additional info!

7. Collapse Details
    If you are using a usb cable from the battery to the hard drive this will not do it. I did a test and powering the hard drive throught its usb port does not get the cam to recognize the hard drive. It looks like it should but I couldn't get it to work, I mean the hard drives leds come on but thats all.. You need a usb to 3.5mm adapter to power the hard drive by its 3.5mm power jack if you have a 3.5mm jack hard drive. you haven't specified.

Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/EFORCITY-Premi...8228799&sr=1-3

This is my setup. Works flawlessly. Look carefully.

http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tmp3000ar1.jpg
    Last edited by mico; 08-27-2007 at 09:41 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Hmmmm.... just seen a pic of a working version of this and the drive is being powered by from the battery pack using the USB cable that plugs into the mini-jack type connection... I've been using USB to USB. Could this be the problem?

Off to check!

Indy.....

9. Collapse Details
    Like I said USb to usb did not work for me either. Usb to minijack 3.5mm is necessary if powering through firewire. Seems the control board of the hard drive case gets confused if usb and fireiwre are connected at the same time.

10. Collapse Details
    My pain is over... it WAS a power cable issue! Offloaded and verified my first P2 card this morning!!!

You should now be feeling waves of good karma washing all over you!

Thanks a million Mico

Indy....