Thread: Zoom H2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Zoom H2
    I just got one of the new Zoom H2 units today and will try to write up a short review this week. Some quick observations--both the physical controls and the menu interface are an improvement over the H4 unit. The unit is easy and intuitive to use and basic functions (like setting levels) are very accessible. The build quality is ok, the fit and finish are reasonable for a low cost unit. The H2 is very light and compact

I haven't really had time for more than a few test recordings, but the mic quality is good. Can't comment on the pre's yet as I haven't looked at any of the wav files yet, but there's a bit of a noise floor when listening via the headphone out--pretty much what I'd expect. Nothing too objectionable though, so that's a good sign. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that most of the noise is due to the headphone output circuit (as in the DVX). I need to order an XLR to 1/8" cable to try the H2 with a self-powered mic, but the onboard mics seems very useable. It's conceivable that you could mount the H2 on a boom pole for double system sound (for interiors) because of the light weight. The unit includes a real tripod socket and date/time stamping for audio files.

No recording artifacts I've noticed (like the led/H4 issue). The surround recording is an interesting option if not all that relevant to film work; it seems to work well, recording a signal from all 4 mics in either 4 or 2 channels. I need to put the H2 though it's paces, but I find it very promising for recording wild sound and potentially much broader use. For $200, this is a nice little recorder and will likely be keeping the H2.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool stuff Barry!

Please post some sample WAV files when you get a chance. ( www.mediafire.com makes it quite easy to distribute files )

Thanks for the quick preview.

3. Collapse Details
    I've had an H2 for around 6 months and I can say that I've not been impressed.... maybe I've got a 'dodgy' unit but at this moment I wish I hadn't bought it.

Indy....

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by indigo View Post
    I've had an H2 for around 6 months
    Hmmm... I thought they were only just released. I recieved an email last week from B&H stating that the unit was finally available. ( I had signed up to be notified when it was released ) Previously, every supplier was listing it as "coming soon".

5. Collapse Details
    I've had an H2 for around 6 months and I can say that I've not been impressed.... maybe I've got a 'dodgy' unit but at this moment I wish I hadn't bought it.

Indy....

I think you must mean the H4 as the the H2 was only released on Wednesday. I went through three H4's and returned them all, and I'd agree, the design and quality just aren't there. The H2 is a step forward in design and the engineers have addressed a lot of the weak points of the H4. It's obviously a different unit without the XLR inputs or the phantom power, but it seems promising. I'll post some wav files with the review, but at least as far as operation goes, the H2 is very useable.

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Barry,
    I'd like to know how it compares in size/weight/battery run-time/ to the Edirol R-09.

-Vic

7. Collapse Details
    D'oh
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Hmmm... I thought they were only just released.
    D'oh... your right I have the H4.... but to be honest with my experience of the H4 I won't be buying another Zoom product for a very long time... if ever!

Indy....

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_S View Post
    I went through three H4's and returned them all, and I'd agree, the design and quality just aren't there.
    Out of interest what problems were you having with it?

indy......

9. Collapse Details
    Out of interest what problems were you having with it?

indy......
    H4 # 1 -- bad display

H4 # 2 -- one mic not functioning

H4 # 3 -- sound quality issues

I made a couple of field recording with the H2 today. The interface is very good and light years ahead of the H4. The mics are very wind-sensitive, so the windsceen is a must and the low-cut filter is very useful. I'll make a custom furry for the H2 and that should help. Handling noise is a bit of an issue, so I'd like to make some kind of small shock mount with a grip. Bought a Crumpler Thirsty Al case (L) and it fits the H2 perfectly.

10. Collapse Details
    Got my H2 on Monday, and I must say it's greatly imprved over the H4 (which I still have and haven't had an issue with).
    Size, controls, menu and manual functions seem improved. Much more substantial build quality (much smaller than H4). The H4 seems like puffed plastic compared to the H2.

The onboard mics seem about the same (slightly better), but surround sound recording is pretty sweet. Pre's and everything else seem about the same quality of the H4.

Running 4GB SanDisk (comes with SDHC reader for your computer) and PNY SDHC 4GB cards from Circuit City on it with no problem. Still looking for good deal on 8GB SDHC cards, which I heard the H2 can read and write to, but can't format.

All in all, pretty darn good deal for $199. For the record, I used to own a M-Audio Microtrack and currently own, Edirol R09, Zoom H4, and Edirol R4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast