Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Brandon Rice - "Welcome To The Party"
    Back story:

As most of you know I am a big fan of Robert Rodriguez. In fact, he is my favorite director. Not necessarily because of his films, but because of his ideals, and drive. I am still a big fan of Robert's films, and I am always charmed by his interesting back story's as to how they came about. I remember reading Rebel Without a Crew about how he was cooped up in a lab for a month writing El Mariachi. I also just recently watched the director's commentary on Planet Terror, and how he wrote only 30 pages of script before casting (Quentin Tarantino thought he was crazy!) Now, this doesn't always work this way, but Welcome To The Party is very much a film in the style of Mr. Rodriguez.

It all began last summer (Summer 2006) shortly after I had finished shooting Smuggler's Ransom. DVXuser was having a Horrorfest, and I really wanted to be a part of it. So I sat down and thought of quick available resources I had. I put them all down on a sheet of paper, and started reading down the list, and after a few days I had a simple story, and a 4 page script titled: Haunted. I had my cast ready to go, but time wasn't on my side, and I had to scrap the film. I instead shot a very simple short called Into the Darkness, which was all made up on the fly, and really wasn't my best work to say the least.

Flash forward to summer of 2007. The moment I heard about Hallowfest my interest was piqued. I had just finished shooting a children's pilot episode It Really Happened, and was just waiting on music for that. I had time on my hands, and wanted to make a film! I waded through many scripts, and stumbled upon Haunted. I read through it, made some changes, and began casting. I still had the same resources as the previous summer, but I had made some great new connections with a wonderful DP (Geoff Reisner), Gaffer (Wes Carrasquillo), and makeup artist (Stephanie Navarro). I got them on board, and cast the short in a matter of weeks. Then I pored through the script, changed the title (twice!) and in fact changed the entire ending before I was satisfied. And finally on September 21, 2007, the short was shot, almost a year and a half after I had thought of the idea!

Welcome To The Party was shot in a quick one night shoot, in one location, and much like Robert's films, it is fast paced, and it edges the lines of humorous and disturbing. I hope you enjoy it, as it was some of the most fun I've ever had on a shoot.

Crew Credits

Writer/Director/Producer/Editor - Brandon Rice
    Director of Photography - Geoff Reisner
    Gaffer - Wes Carrasquillo
    Makeup Designer - Stephanie Navarro
    Sound Mixer - Seth Axen & Matt Gettemeir
    Sound Design - Justin Krause
    Original Score - Justin R. Durban
    Title Animation - Henry Schneider
    Set Production Assistant - Jessica Carrasquillo
    Script Consultant - Matt Green

Raw Screengrab

BEFORE COLOR GRADING

AFTER COLOR GRADING

Last edited by Brandon Rice; 10-24-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film COMPROMISE now available to see!

2. Collapse Details
    Production Updates
    -----------------------------------------------
    August 24, 2007
    Cast & Crew are locked, location is locked, script is locked, shooting dates are locked. Will be meeting with our Director of Photography, Geoff Reisner (who DP'd the winning film for DVXuser's dramafest "Heritage") next week to discuss everything.
    -------------------------
    August 27, 2007
    The final script was sent out today, the ending was changed a bit, and a few of the lines were "punched up". Also, the awesome Stephanie Navarro has signed on to do hair and makeup. The rough shot list was also finished.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    August 31, 2007
    Met up with our Director of Photography, Geoff Reisner today, and we went through the script, and we're going to be finishing up the shot list soon. He'll also be working on some storyboards, which I'll post up once we can. Also, Wes Carrasquillo has signed on as Gaffer!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    September 4, 2007
    Ok, after talking the script over with Geoff (who has some great ideas) I made a couple tweaks and now we're set... also changed the title of the short.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    September 7, 2007
    Geoff and I went to the location and went through the entire script, blocking out the shots, and the staging/action of the actors, etc. He also brought a few storyboards, and we revised the shot-list after going through everything again.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    September 12, 2007
    Met with Geoff, and Wes tonight and went over the script for shots one more time. Also went over some lighting things. Motivation, etc. We also went over what equipment we needed to rent. Geoff had some awesome ideas for some shot additions... we shoot in less than two weeks! I am so pumped!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    September 18, 2007
    Dropped off the funds for Geoff (grip, and lighting rental) and also got the final shot list from him. We have 61 shots for the film, we're shooting a LOT of coverage, but hey, it'll make it a lot easier for me in post. Geoff has some COOL shots in here. Can't wait.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    September 21, 2007
    Here we go. The plan for today is this. After work at 5, I am heading out to buy craft service food, and my crew will be here at 7. My cast call is 8, and I'm hoping we're on camera by 8:30 or so... Then we'll most likely break for dinner (or really late meal) at midnight, after shooting through the first part of the script, then we'll shoot the second part, and most likely wrap around 3 or 4am tomorrow morning... I'll have BTS photos and more tomorrow!
    September 22, 2007
    It is now 9AM... our shoot ended at around 5:30AM. I just finished looking through the majority of our footage, it looks awesome! We had a great cast and crew on set, and knocked out a very ambitious short in one short night. I want to thank, Geoff, Wes, Stephanie, Jessica, Seth, and Henry for really being an awesome and fun crew! I couldn't have done this without you all! I also want to thank the cast, Joy, Daniel, and Sarah, wonderful job! I think it's going to be a really nice piece. Anyway, time to take a nap! Until next time..
    September 23, 2007
    Geoff went out and shoot a couple pick-ups we needed tonight, and I went over to grab them from him. I also finished a full rough-cut today, but I'll need to add the new shots, and tweak some things. Hoping to have a locked picture by the end of the week, to send to Leo. Then I'll begin color grading.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    September 24, 2007
    Refined the rough cut some more, and am rendering out the third rough cut as we speak. I also recorded some O.C. dialog with one of our actress's tonight. And I worked on some color grading as well.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    September 25, 2007
    Officially signed on Justin Krause for sound design, he also did work on my film, Smuggler's Ransom. I finished editing in the VO from one of the characters in the film. I'm still in need of one more VO line, but I haven't yet gotten word back from the guy I offered the part to. We shall see... the picture is locked though, and I'm happy with it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    September 26, 2007
    The final picture lock is done and off.... also, some really BIG news! We had one more VO role to fill, and the awesome, and infamous, Jack Daniel Stanley, has agreed to do it! It's very exciting to have him a part of this in a small way! He's really busy right now too, so for him to help out is really awesome! Thanks Jack!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    September 27, 2007
    Worked on a few color grading looks tonight. Will do my best to finish all color grading this weekend. I love having this 4:2:2 colorspace! You can really push the image!
    September 28, 2007
    Worked on the color grading for most of the night tonight... I think I've got everything pretty well nailed. It's looking really good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    October 1, 2007
    Got word today that the very talented Henry Schneider will be doing some sweet opening titles for the film! Much more to come, stay tuned!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    October 15, 2007
    Well, lots of time since I've done an update. We had a little change today. Leo Gardini was pretty weighed down with some projects, and computer issues, so now the very talented Justin Durban has taken over the composer spot on the team, and will be working on the score, starting tonight! Things are going well with Justin Krause and his awesome sound design as well! Also, finally finished all the VO work for the film!
    October 17, 2007
    Justin Krause sent me a new draft of sound design. It's sounding GREAT! Going to get some notes down for him, and send them off tonight.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    October 19, 2007
    Justin Durban finished the first draft of the score, and I just plugged it in. It sounds spectacular! I'll be going over it again this evening and sending some minor notes, but it's pretty well done. The film clocks in right at 5 min. as well. Hoping to get another draft of sound design in tonight or tomorrow as well!
    October 21, 2007
    Amidst the wildfires today, Justin Durban and I got the final locked score in, and I sent it off to Justin Krause for final sound mix. He'll be sending stuff tomorrow night I hope.
    October 22, 2007
    Wow! Justin Krause just sent me the full draft of the sound, and it sounds GREAT! I am going to watch through it a few more times, to make sure I can send any notes I have, and then he's going to mix the score in, and send a final draft tomorrow night. We will be looking at a Wednesday upload! Finish line, here we come!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    October 23, 2007
    Earlier this afternoon Justin K. sent me the final mix draft (with score) and I sent him back two small notes. Hoping we can have the three HQ stems for the audio (Score, Dialog, Foley) in tomorrow night, and we'll be ready to render, and upload. I also did some short compression tests tonight, and all looks well!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    October 24, 2007
    Got the final sound in from Justin Krause! We are there people! I plugged it in, and did a few renders and nailed it after a couple times! Uploading as we speak! Got it in with two days to spare! Whoot! It's been a great time working with everyone who's been involved and I couldn't have done this without them!

SOME Behind the Scenes from the shoot...

Last edited by Brandon Rice; 10-24-2007 at 08:36 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Do you have insurance?

Either way, actually, I'd suggest hiring a costumer to handle all of that. It will take a lot of stress off your mind.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
    Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) "A very cool, slick and well done short."
    Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
    Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on Twitter IMDb

4. Collapse Details
    It'll also cost a lot of these $$$$. Looking for a low budget film here. Under 1K.

Trust me, I've had a costumer on my last couple projects, and I love it! But... it will be too pricey for this one.

5. Collapse Details
    When I've hired someone else to do it, I actually saved quite a bit of money, because it's their job to know how to do things cheaper. Of course, that was in South Carolina. Maybe you can't find cheap costumers here? I still find that hard to believe. Try looking for theatre designers maybe, rather than film people.

I'd be happy to recommend Warner or Sony's costume rentals, if you're still looking for that. They both have a wide selection, and if you can find someone to help you that isn't in a really bad mood (rare), you're all set!

6. Collapse Details
    Cool, thanks, I'll ask my normal costumer what she could do for a super low budget.

7. Collapse Details
    First film is cast.

8. Collapse Details
    seriously ... is it kosher to just name a thread after yourself?

lol ... jk B-man, i'm not getting my hopes up until i'm actually clicking on the QT file to open up your movie on Halloween.

9. Collapse Details
    HA HA... Who knows... I am sure if it's not... I'll be reprimanded accordingly...

Never fear dude... this time I'm really doing at LEAST one... I've already got dates, actors, crew, location locked!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridtheory View Post
    'm not getting my hopes up until i'm actually clicking on the QT file to open up your movie on Halloween.
    Good luck though!
    S16| EPIC PACKAGES AVAILABLE in L.A. (pm for rates)
    FAT MONSTER + SABI are my friends. View my REEL

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast