Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    For me, ideally, I'd love to have fixed focus and zoom while still having iris control. Is this possible?
    Zoom maps the resistance to the rate of change of the zoom value. At 10K Ohms the zoom does not move. At 9K or 11K Ohm is zooms slowly in one direction or the other. At 15K or 5K Ohms it is zooming very quickly in one direction or the other. Think of it like the zoom rockers on the handle, it will control the zoom servo, but bumping the zoom ring (which is purely mechanical) will override or damage it.

To effectively lock down the zoom, simply set it where you want it, engage the servo switch, and unscrew the micro-knob on the zoom ring and store it in a safe place. The reason I remove the knob is that snagging it on something with the servo gears engaged could damage the gears. I have yet to mess up a shot by hitting one of the zoom rocker switch. I'm not sure if inserting a plug disables the toggle switches or not.

Bob

2. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Bob,

I was thinking that the plug disables the toggle switch but I could be wrong. I'll check it out. I am still waiting on some tiny cases to make up a final piece that lets you use an iris controller and rec/pause button in conjunction with the focus lock. I'll post pics and plans once I get it all sorted out.
    Bob Hill

3. Collapse Details
    Wild. Thanks for sharing this, Bob.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

4. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still working on getting a good set of plans with a parts list put together for this. I have the parts list mostly worked out but finding small cases is a real PITA! I should have something for everyone this weekend though.
    Bob Hill

5. Collapse Details
    hows this coming along? Any updates?
    Mirror Image Pictures
    Atlanta, Savannah, Cincinnati and Dubai, UAE.
    Co-Owner and Director of Photography. Avid Nitris Editing, Certified Steadicam Operation, and Pro-Tools Sound Design.

RED ONE cameras, HPX/HVX cameras, 35mm Adapters, EFP/ENG Audio, Steadicam, Jib, Dolly, and Grip/Electric Packages Available.

6. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Sorry for not getting back sooner. I should have a downloadable .pdf for everyone shortly. These are simple and take only a few parts and I think with the .pf anyone should be able to make one of these.
    Bob Hill

7. Collapse Details
    Is it possible to combine this back focus plug with a diy Record Start/Stop control for a rig?

Arno

8. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Arno,

Yes you can use a backfocus plug and a record start/stop controller. The focus control is on a different plug than the start/stop. Just wire up the relevant portion of the circuit for the start/stop and you are in business.
    Bob Hill

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Bob!

Arno

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hill View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still working on getting a good set of plans with a parts list put together for this. I have the parts list mostly worked out but finding small cases is a real PITA! I should have something for everyone this weekend though.
    I mixed up some epoxy and micro balloons and brushed it on. Looks like hell, but I could find a way to make it pretty if I wanted to.

Bob

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast