Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Eugenia Loli-Queru's Avatar
    >We can't all afford supercomputers.

For better HDV editing you need a non-Celeron class CPU that was released after 2004. I don't think that this constitutes as a super computer in this day and age. Instead, what you really need is a lot of RAM. At least 2 GB of RAM for HDV editing and at least 1 GB for plain DV.

Regarding editing .m2t directly, yes it is already supported, I used it on Vegas 7 and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 7 and 8. It's been there for a while.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not saying it's not supported. It just doesn't work that well for me. And with a 3.0ghz P4 cpu and 2 GB of ram, I can't imagine why m2t's don't run more smoothly for me. I mean, they can be edited and everything. I just can't get a decent realtime playback even on the crappiest setting, so I use Cineform.
    Check out my footage from the Canon 7D, HMC-150, HVX-200, XHA1, 16mm film and more at www.spacedfilms.com

3. Collapse Details
    I have a 3 Ghz Hyperthreaded P4 myself (with 3 GBs of RAM), and I don't have realtime at 100% playback smoothness either. This is normal for Vegas (I recognize that it works smoothly on some other editors). But it works well enough when using the "Preview" quality in the preview window.

4. Collapse Details
    To each their own, I guess.
    Check out my footage from the Canon 7D, HMC-150, HVX-200, XHA1, 16mm film and more at www.spacedfilms.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DVXSanDiego View Post
    a robust XDCAM HD workflow, comprehensive HDV support, import and edit support for the Sony AVCHD format
    Yeah, but is there anything for those of us who happen to work with products made by anybody *but* Sony? Program's going more and more proprietary; AVC-HD is a multi-manufacturer standard (Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Sharp, Samsung, etc) but if you use a camera from any manufacturer *other* than Sony, Vegas can't edit it. XDCAM-HD is a Sony-proprietary format, etc... I used to be the biggest Vegas fan in the world, and now I find myself completely disinterested in the product because of the proprietary bend it's taken.

Well, we'll see.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    hey barry, same here, i raved and advertised to friends so much about vegas, but these days i dont mention it much. i still use it extensively for dv productions especially with the 24pa, and ease of use. but for feature length productions that require more, i might invest in a 5 thousand dollar mac along with FCS 2

7. Collapse Details
    Like I said, i'm in the same boat. XDCAM means nothing to me, the questions I need answers to are will vegas handle 24F like it did 24p? Will Vegas 8 really be anything more than just a minor update? If I'm going to spend a fortune on a new workstation, why should I stick with Vegas?

It's perplexing the approach Sony is taking. Apple's doing their best to satisfy their base and appeal to newcomers. Adobe is coming out swinging this year wanting to appeal to EVERYBODY who works with video. Sony is coming out wanting to appeal to everybody...who shoots with Sony products. I'm going to buy a Canon, what's the message Sony is sending me?

...And that sad little booth at NAB, it's not adding up. What are they thinking over there?

------ after thinking about it, i don't want to jump to conclusions. But those are my immediate thoughts after reading that press release.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    for years, sony has been sony, i wish it used to be the way it was with sonic foundry, they listened to the user base and implemented the requests,
    sony does that too but ONLY if it benefits their own formats.

Way to ruin a f#$%@n awesome program, sorry for ranting

9. Collapse Details
    I also want an application that is similar to FCP's Color.

That app looks awesome.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

10. Collapse Details
    What more Color does than Vegas' existing filters plus Aav6cc?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast