Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Pulsating Eye-ball
    "Pulsating Eye-ball" ... my Adfest entry!

Direct link: http://www.dvxfest.com/adfest/loader.php?id=11264

Shot with the DVX100a. A quick, low key 2-hour shoot with no crew and two friends. Last minute type of thing, capitalizing on an apartment that was empty for a few days (also shot a quick music video for my friend).

Originally shot thinking I was allowed 1 minute, but found out during the later stages of editing that it's a 30-second spot.

I'm a horrible reader... I don't know how I managed to get into university!

Good luck to everyone and enjoy!

NOTE: Best played LOUD!
    Last edited by LloydC; 08-01-2007 at 08:31 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Good luck indeed! Though of course we really wish more luck to ourselves than to anyone else .

3. Collapse Details
    The title of this thread has definitely piqued my interest. Good luck with the entry!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoidoid View Post
    The title of this thread has definitely piqued my interest. Good luck with the entry!
    Hope you like it Zoidoid

Updated original post for some production info.

5. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Interesting entry. I liked the idea but I could have used a better pay-off at the end. Maybe seeing the guy get attacked when the batteries failed?

Still, it was shot quite well and the sound was excellent.

I'll watch it again later to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

6. Collapse Details
    Visually it was a well made piece, but it didn't really show the product off ever... it just said, Kinetica batteries... I needed more of the product...
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LloydC View Post
    Hope you like it Zoidoid
    I did like it! I think that the editing made it -- in particular, the brief and frantic clips of breathing sounds, footsteps, etc.

There's an interesting juxtaposition between the music and the images here, and I think it works. While the visuals are quite tense and active, the music is almost relaxing in comparison. It's appropriately moody melody. However, I can't help but wonder what it would like with a score that gradually cranks up the pressure until the moment he is sacked by the vampire.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback.

I know exactly what you're talking about Brandon. This was very last minute and not exactly planned... I didn't pick a product for Kinetica until the editing process.

Zoidoid- I always loved the technique of juxtaposing calm music with frenetic movement... The music was also taken from a recorded track on my friends record as I know any music I create would be MIDI sounding concoctions of terrible-ness.

Will be watching a few more (including yours Zoidoid) later today and putting in my vote.

9. Collapse Details
    This is another one that could be in my top three! Very nice dark and funny humor! I'm a sucker for stuff like this. Visuals were great and I, too, like the juxtaposition of music. I'm not sure what you could have done at the end to sell it more. Sure, you could have thrown up a picture of some batteries or something, but I don't think it needed it. If Kinetica was actually a well established brand of battery, like Energizer or Duracell, then a "product ending" wouldn't be necessary, you know?

Maybe if you had two guys fighting off the vampire with pulsating eyeballs and one of them goes out because of inferior batteries and so the vampire attacks that guy, that might have worked a little better in this instance of "unfamiliarity" with the product.

Anyway, I could babble on and on. Loved it! Great work!

10. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Well done and fun.

My only dings are the fact that the battery tag line and logo go by so quickly at the end.

I think batteries are one of those products that are mostly all the same so you just want to stand out a bit rather than list why yours is best and I think this ad is headed in the right direction in terns of that.

So when we get to the end we really want to give the button and slogan enough time to land and realize that that's the point of the ad. I would make one small adjustment to the slogan. "Only Kinetica when your ass is on the line." or "Trust Kinetica when it's your ass." The "when" part is the most important part to me because it reinforces the idea that "when" it really matters, only these batteries will do --- especially important in an ad where the product is not shown being used or featured.

But I liked the editing and darkness and whimsy of it and I think the concept is a good strategy for marketing this type of product where they are really all the same.

Nice job. Maybe in my top 3. Certainly top 5.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast