Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best Rugged Indoor/Outdoor Boom Mic
    I need a mic great for guerrilla filmmaking, something you can really beat the crap out of and still has a good overall sound for both interior and exterior dialogue. It should power by Phantom Power.

I heard the Audio Technica AT897 is great for both indoor and outdoor use and is a rugged mic.

Or is the Rhode NT-3 the way to go?

I searched the topic, but no topics on "rugged" indoor/outdoor boom mics. There has to be one boom mic you can use both indoor and outdoor, although I never hear of one. Thanks in advance.

2. Collapse Details
    Sennheiser MKH series is the most rugged mics out there. As to indoor/outdoor, no such mic exists. By which I mean, the shotgun/lobar pattern will not work well in reflective environments. The hyper mic does not have the off-axis rejection needed for most outdoor shots. Some mic like the Sanken cs3e are more versatile then others but no mic works well in all situations....if there was one we would all own it.

Cheers
    Fast, Cheap, Good. Pick any two

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
    Sennheiser MKH series is the most rugged mics out there. As to indoor/outdoor, no such mic exists. By which I mean, the shotgun/lobar pattern will not work well in reflective environments. The hyper mic does not have the off-axis rejection needed for most outdoor shots. Some mic like the Sanken cs3e are more versatile then others but no mic works well in all situations....if there was one we would all own it.

Cheers
    So you basically have to buy one boom mic for interiors and another boom mic for exteriors? Is there a mic that has attachments? instead of having to buy a second mic?

4. Collapse Details
    The AKG blueline se300b is a modular system that has a hyper cap (ck93) for indoor and a shotgun ck98 for outside. The 'one mic to rule them all' thread discusses this. The hyper is considered by many superior to the oktava with less handling noise and the shotgun is considered good but not amazing. (below the AT4073A). This is probaly the cheapest solution that is good if you are looking for one mic that I have found

Looking at your shooting style (documentary, long takes and one camera) you might also consider going with wireless as well. You can pick up the Sennheiser G2 for around $500 a set, or rent lectro from a company like Talamas in boston. The one problem I have found is clothing noise and you need to figure out how to lav someone correctly. Good luck.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bosindy View Post
    The AKG blueline se300b is a modular system that has a hyper cap (ck93) for indoor and a shotgun ck98 for outside. The 'one mic to rule them all' thread discusses this. The hyper is considered by many superior to the oktava with less handling noise and the shotgun is considered good but not amazing. (below the AT4073A). This is probaly the cheapest solution that is good if you are looking for one mic that I have found
    Thank you. Is this it here?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

I know this wouldn't be one mic, but how about the AT4073A for interiors and the RHODE NT-3 for exteriors? Is that a good set up?
    Last edited by ShamrockFilms; 07-14-2007 at 10:12 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamrockFilms View Post
    Thank you. Is this it here?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

I know this wouldn't be one mic, but how about the AT4073A for interiors and the RHODE NT-3 for exteriors? Is that a good set up?
    That's it with the hyper cap, in addition you would also need the shotgun cap http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

The AT4073A is a shotgun so that would be for exteriors. Everyone seems to love that mic for a shotgun and the oktava for interiors. Didn't I see that you own the oktava?

7. Collapse Details
    I'm not crazy about the Octava. I'm an editor too and I didn't like the sound in post. Oh, okay, I thought the 4073 was mainly for interiors...

http://secure.netsolhost.com/517570....ory_Code=SHTGN

8. Collapse Details
    Shamrock,

Generally speaking, shotguns are for interiors, hypercardiods and supercardiods are for interiors. What is of primary concern for you is the skill set of your boom op. If you're working with novice boomers you need more forgiving mics. Many mixers have multiple sets of mics depending on the conditions they're working in.

If you look at my collection, I have:

AT897 - used in situations where it can be destroyed and not cost too much to replace (i.e. the herring processing plant I recorded in once
    4073a - used with novice boom ops for exteriors - it has a more forgiving pattern
    Sennheiser 416 - used on exteriors when I have a great boom op
    Octava with hyper cap - interiors, moderate to experienced boom op (it is subject to a bit of handling noise)
    Schoeps 641 - interiors with experienced boom ops
    Rode NT5 - cardioid for interiors with novice boom ops - very forgiving pattern

So, as you can see, it ultimately isn't just one mic that is going to serve your needs - you're going to need a mix. Note too that I am not set up for any on-camera mic situations. I will not work with an on-camera mic.

Hope this helps...

Phil
    Crappy sound makes for a crappy movie, no matter how pretty the pictures.

Check out my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.me/philtalsky

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ptalsky View Post
    Shamrock,

Generally speaking, shotguns are for interiors, hypercardiods and supercardiods are for interiors. What is of primary concern for you is the skill set of your boom op. If you're working with novice boomers you need more forgiving mics. Many mixers have multiple sets of mics depending on the conditions they're working in.

If you look at my collection, I have:

AT897 - used in situations where it can be destroyed and not cost too much to replace (i.e. the herring processing plant I recorded in once
    4073a - used with novice boom ops for exteriors - it has a more forgiving pattern
    Sennheiser 416 - used on exteriors when I have a great boom op
    Octava with hyper cap - interiors, moderate to experienced boom op (it is subject to a bit of handling noise)
    Schoeps 641 - interiors with experienced boom ops
    Rode NT5 - cardioid for interiors with novice boom ops - very forgiving pattern

So, as you can see, it ultimately isn't just one mic that is going to serve your needs - you're going to need a mix. Note too that I am not set up for any on-camera mic situations. I will not work with an on-camera mic.

Hope this helps...

Phil
    It sure does help. Fantastic. Thank you Phill.

10. Collapse Details
    let say i finished intire doco s*%t with hyper in and out ( geffel 210)
    thats my favor these days
    ok no roads or city rumble , but behind ascen of arock consert , does it counts ?
    - ohh so good mic

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast