Thread: Hard Drives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hard Drives
    I am thinking about getting an external firewire hard drive instead of an additional internal SATA drive. I was told not to get a Maxtor are they not good? I know Western Digital seems to be the choice by many. Any thoughts?
    www.cmellc.biz Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Hard Drives
    I've used Maxtor, WD, and IBM. I've had good drives and bad drives with all three companies. I once purchased 10 120GB IBM drives for external firewire cases. 3 of them died within the first few months of use. I currently have a 80GB maxtor (2.5 years old) going through it's death throws, but I have another 120GB (1 year old) that's still going strong. There are a lot of factors that lead a drive to die (heat is a major one, which may have been the problem with my IBMs), so it's hard to say that one company is worse than another.

The truth is, once a drive from a company dies on you, your hatred for said company is directly relational to the importance of the files stored on the drive.

Just make sure you get a good price and have some sort of backup scheme, because a drive will almost surely ALWAYS crash when you least want it to. ;)
    Sol Marchessault - suggestionfmotion.com

3. Collapse Details
    Check out drives with 3 year warranty's. I know WD only has a few models with 3 year warrantys (I think the Caviar drives), they are more spendy but it's because they put more reliable parts in em' (from their scsi drives I think).

As far as bad drives go it's a crap shoot - they are so cheap now I say just buy a bunch and back stuff up.

Jive - you didn't have a few IBM 75GXP "deathstars" did you? From what I understand those drove IBM out of the hard drive business, it's now handled by Hitachi.

4. Collapse Details
    Hehe, no, I'm pretty sure I got the Deskstar 120GXPs. But I can certainly understand how their models got the "deathstar" name.

5. Collapse Details
    I am using a Maxtor 120 drive in an ADS firewire case....on my mac with FCX and the result has been great. No Probs with Maxtor drives IMHO. *I have used Maxtors for years with great success...Maybe I am just lucky....Uh, scratch that last sentence.

Steve

6. Collapse Details
    Any opinions on the LACIE external HDs for MAC?

7. Collapse Details
    I heard the Lacie drives are NICE!!!! I am thinking about getting a external firewire drive from them.

I bought a Maxtor 120 internal SATA drive last week and noiticed something puzzling. I had the store where I bought my Mac put it in for me and when I turned it on and pulled up that drive it said I had 114.65 gigs available. What happened to the other 6 gigs? There was absolutely nothing on the drive when I turned the computer on. Is that normal to not get the full amount of gigs?
    www.cmellc.biz Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, the 120GB is the unformatted capacity. *Once the drive has been formatted, a certain amount is lost the to the formatting scheme as well as what must be allocated for the disk to function properly.

Also, I have heard nothing bad about Lacie drives. *A friend of mine has a 320GB model and loves it (though he's only had it for about 2 months). *However, they are expensive. Of course, the cheapest route would be to buy an external case and a drive separately as you can get pretty good prices on bare drives, while complete firewire drives are still sold at a premium.

9. Collapse Details
    I have the lacie 120 and so far have had no problems with it, but I only store my fcp media on it.

10. Collapse Details

My buddy has a 120gb Lacie drive, he's had it for just over a year and it is still going strong, strong, STRONG. We have been constantly using it all year for storage of every kind of file known to man. No problems reported.
    Kind Regards,&&&&Ian Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast