PDA

View Full Version : But is it a SPY film?

cinealma
06-05-2007, 02:26 PM
THE LIST IS GONE!

I made an error in judgement as I did not have all the information as far as the thematic rules of Spy Fest. I guess I should have done a little spying myself.

Anyway, I would still like to keep this thread open to have a productive and friendly filmmaking discussion, if we can.

Cheers!

Beat Takeshi
06-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm glad we didn't make it to the Yes catagory. It's supposed to be left up to your imagination on ours.

Karl151k
06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but that list seems about right. However, they're all entertaining and at least incorporated the spying angle to a degree, so I'm ok with it. I think that since the criteria for "spy" was so loose, this was bound to happen. Bottom line: I love em all!

bosindy
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
As someone on your list, I thought I would respond. I think there was some discussion early on as to what the minimum would be. Someone spying on another person. (nowhere did it say one character needed to be a spy)

I think as creative people some decided to not use such a restrictive definition of James Bond or CIA type spying. I am glad that is the case. I also liked many of the films that had the traditional spy genre.

I think creative choice is good and as long as someone is watching someone without the others knowledge I am cool with it.

cinealma
06-05-2007, 02:37 PM
However, they're all entertaining... Bottom line: I love em all!

I definitely agree!!! :)

tmnt
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Yes I strayed a bit from the spy genre but I did adhere to the definition in that 'a person obtaining knowledge from another w/o that person knowing' that was in an official thread. I'll be good next fest, I swear.

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
All the fests here are loose, in other words we allow the filmmakers room to experiment with the "subject matter".

This was "SPY FEST", not "SPYFILM FEST". This is an important distinction in that the films had to have a "spy" or "spy-ing" element, they didn't have to be about a conventional "spy", a la James Bond.

This was discussed in a couple threads early on into the fest, and was verified that it would be ok to have a film where someone was "spying on" someone else, which simply means one person is watching the activity of another person without the "watched" person aware of the surveillance.

Now, this could be traditional dark cover espionage, or it could be a kid spying on his mother while she's at the ATM so he can get her secret PIN code.

Once all the films were submitted, Barry and I reviewed each of them to verify they qualified. If we felt the film didn't meet the criteria of the genre we would have rejected them - this is an important point for future fests. At this point there would be little time to make significant changes before a revised film could no longer be accepted, so if you aren't sure your story will qualify for the selected genre/theme/whatever, it is important that you contact myself or Barry_S and get a confirmation that your story works.

Hopefully that helps clear things up a little bit. Now just go enjoy the films!!

Peace,
Larry

Edgen
06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
sweeeet. I made your "Spy Film: No" list.

/j

cinealma
06-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Larry:

I didn't mean any disrespect to you and Barry. I guess I was under a different impression of genre expectations, that's all.

Like I said, whether I agree or not with the material, there are a BUNCH of fantastic films in this lot. I go so far as to say quality-wise, this group is perhaps the best DVXUser fest films yet!

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Edgen, your film is a great example of taking liberties with the "genre/theme". Your film is one I had to wrestle with, because there isn't a traditional spy element, nor do we watch someone being watched.

What settled it for me, however, was the flashback when the guy was shot. Clearly they (he and his wife) didn't know those assassins were there, so the assassins were "spying" on them up to the point of the gun fire.

When telling a story you get to decide if the audience knows as much as the protagonist, or if they know more than the protagonist. This is an example of spying going on, involving the main character, but we don't know it until the "hit" at which point we, the audience, become aware that surveillance of some kind was going on because clearly the man and his wife were unaware of the gunmen.

didn't mean any disrespect to you and Barry. I guess I was under a different impression of genre expectations, that's all. Hey, no worries...it is totally fair to raise a concern if you have one. I was just giving the response based on how the determination was made.

Certainly if someone feels a film really doesn't belong, they are welcome to make that case...just be aware that myself, Barry and Jarred have final say http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/060.gif

Peace,
Larry

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 03:01 PM
noticed our film didn't any of your lists....:crybaby:

cinealma
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
sweeeet. I made your "Spy Film: No" list.

/j

That's ok. It's still on the "Super Fucking Cool Film: Yes" list. :thumbsup:

Michael_Petro
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
In Briefcase everyone was watching everyone surveillance cameras everywhere thats seems pretty spy to me.. but not James bond like, Just plain ol spying.. I really tried to make this spy like I SWEAR I did !MOM! it was totaly spy right? ..mom?

man I am at work...

cinealma
06-05-2007, 03:07 PM
noticed our film didn't any of your lists....:crybaby:

Hey, there's no crying in baseball.. er.. I mean filmmaking. :)

Dustin, I haven't screened your film yet. I'll get there. Kind of going in alphabetical order for the most part. I am looking forward to seeing all of them.

Cheers!

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey, there's no crying in baseball.. er.. I mean filmmaking. :)

Dustin, I haven't screened your film yet. I'll get there. Kind of going in alphabetical order for the most part. I am looking forward to seeing all of them.

Cheers!

thats what I thought and i saw Spies Girls...and Sp comes after Se....so yeah thats why I was crying (jk) :D

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 03:16 PM
thats what I thought and i saw Spies Girls...and Sp comes after Se....so yeah thats why I was crying (jk) :D

Forget the S'. What happened to Robin the Spy?? :huh:

I'm dying to see where it places on the list.

I feel...:banned:

j/k

Mike

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Forget the S'. What happened to Robin the Spy?? :huh:

I'm dying to see where it places on the list.

I feel...:banned:

j/k

Mike
its like memories of my childhood come rushing back to me...not being pick on Ricky's kickball team.....aahhhh CAN'T SUPPRESS THE ANGER!!!! lol JK:-BlackEye(DBG

ripupthehwy
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't think that many have watched my film yet. Maybe because its far down on the bottom of the upload list. However, I would probably fit in the Maybe catagory I would guess.

rich nation

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/9387/1173983779.jpg

Keystoned
06-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Well it was discussed AT LENGTH as to what the requirements were before the festival.

The answer was that it had to do with secretly gathering information

Also as you say - the gate keepers have signed off.

Also, nowhere did it ever say that SPYING has to drive the film. That would be SPY-ING fest.

The other two criteria yeah, have a spy, or have someone gathering information through covert means. That was explicitly stated.

But your definition seems to be so narrow as to exclude the fact that someone at some point gathering covert information by covert means makes them a spy. Whether it was right before the scene starts, or a day or month before. Now if that person is just sitting down having a hamburger with someone and talking about the weather you'd have a point. But if they are dealing with the fallout of said spying and the spy is present then ... how can that not qualify?

Whether they are a little girl, or a cop, or a bookie, or hot chicks on an airplane. Some of your NO list is just boggling especially Ancient Chinese secret. How could there possibly be more spying in this movie?

By even at the strictest interpretation of the definition how you can exclude some of the films on the no list -- unless the only thing that will satisfy you is James Bond, is pretty boggling.

All of these films that I have scene meet the 1st two criteria - have a spy or have spying. And some even meet your extra caveat that spy-ing drive the story.

SPY FILM: NO
Ancient Chinese Secret
A film SOLELY driven by a guy that goes on a mission to infiltrate and obtain secret information from an underground organization. How is this possibly not spying?

Briefcase
A film where EVERYONE is being surveiled by EVERYONE else and false allegiances are formed all to OBTAIN the contents of a Briefcase? How can this possibly not be spyfest.

Cristo
It's a secret organization ... is one of them a spy? I think the girl at the end is a secret operative. Seems like that would fit SPY fest, if not SPY-ING fest. But would definitely fit James Bond Fest.

Ecclesiastes
Freeze Frame
Frozen River
Glass Jaw
Hoffnung

Imprint
Information is obtained and secretly shared on a person, the person is then observed covertly to ascertain information - namely the best time and place to kill her.

In The Machine

Schittekatter
There is absolutely a spy here and what drives the story is figuring out who it is. He is in the act of actively covertly gaining information about the others when he is discovered.

It definitely meets the criteria of having a spy, and having to do with covert information.

How ON EARTH can you claim a film with a guy wearing a wire IN THE SCENE does not have a SPY in it? Again. The FIRST TIME i have seen SPYING must drive the film is in YOUR post.

No even say that was somehow EXPLICETLY stated before the fest - the actively driving thing ... if gathering the information is the OFFENSIVE, then my short deals with the DEFENSIVE - the guys who have been spied on as they actively try to route out the leak. Wow what a narrow definition you see even of this notion if you cannot tell the story from the perspective of the spy-ee, rather than just spy-er.

Without Provocation
There is a little spy here that's leaking information throughout.

The ones I didn't comment on I have not seen yet.

What do you hope to achieve with this discussion?

Do you feel frustrated because you restricted yourself unnecessarily? (I haven't seen your movie yet.) I mean what's the point?

I busted my ass to make a movie that I was excited about that fit within the contest requirements and the people that run the contest agree that my movie qualifies.

It's very frustrating to me, and it concerns me greatly, that you would imply that people should "consider in voting" your narrow interpretation of the fest, which is CLEARLY not shared by the contest runners.

My understanding is that the idea is to inspire people to go out and make a movie they care about and have them curated around a central THEME. Not a plot driver.

:confused:

chris f
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM
not that it matters, because I think any film that is up for viewing has "made the cut" for being a spy film, but as larry pointed out in the official rules:

This was discussed in a couple threads early on into the fest, and was verified that it would be ok to have a film where someone was "spying on" someone else, which simply means one person is watching the activity of another person without the "watched" person aware of the surveillance.

and in my film, my spy definitely covered the above criteria

-zach-
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Kyser my personal opinion would be yes all the way. Even though you don't have somebody ACTUALLY spying on someone else, you have spy preparations! And, it being a six minute movie, preparations are all you need. Rocky has a six-minute preparation scene for his fight, so... they're not really the same thing. But you know where I'm going. Also, they all made it into the fest. So, they all have something to do with spying; if they didn't, they would have been rejected!

I thought the one that was the least [traditional] spy-like out of all of them was Freeze Frame. Although I'm jealous of the pretty pictures they presented me with, I really didn't like it. Not as a film, but as a SpyFest film. But if it were something like DramaFest and they came up with that, it'd be different.

-zach-
06-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Another reason to call this Spyfest, when Larry watched and approved your movies, HE WAS SPYING ON THEM!!111

OOOOOooooOOooOoOoOOooOoOooOoo be amazed

Michael_Petro
06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
thats right keystoned got my back! you hear that MOM!! :beer:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Kyser my personal opinion would be yes all the way. Even though you don't have somebody ACTUALLY spying on someone else, you have spy preparations!

Actually, Robin does do some spying on the agent with the briefcase. He's just not very good at it. :)

Mike

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Zombie fest did not have to have someone turning into a Zombie or eating brains. It only had to deal with Zombies. In fact they did not have to be Zombies even ... your film only had to feature the undead in some way. Mine had a zombie in it for only 30 seconds and he commits accidental suicide.

Sci-Fest did not have to have space ships or aliens or anybody actively doing anything. Only that somehow your story was set in world or dealt with circumstances that were outside of known or real science.

Hero Fest did not have to have some one actively hero-ing. It only had to deal with super heros. It could be a superhero at his retirement dinner. It could be someone that thought they were a super hero but maybe they weren't. Etc. You did not have to fly somewhere and save someone.

Horror Fest did not have to be scary, nor did it have to involve someone being scared. It only had to have some foothold in horror, be that gothic imagery, a married werewolf and a vampire having a domestic dispute. Anything.

My horrorfest entry was not really scary, and neither was yours, John (Cinealma). Mine was more of a gothic love story. And you ,in fact, took a VERY broad interpretation of that genre and the contest requirements for your film in that fest, and I am glad that you did because I liked your film very much and it reflected YOUR voice while still meeting the contest requirements ... though it perhaps wouldn't have if we put a definition on horror fest as strict as the one you are advocating for spyfest.

Now Movie Master's Awakening ... that was scary (kidding John, Kidding!) :)

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Robin the Spy works because although he doesn't do any "explicit spy-ing", he is clearly a "spy". This is the more traditional "James Bond" definition of a spy film.

I do have to agree with Keystoned on one thing...while it's ok to discuss things like this, I would caution anyone to use this as a reason to negatively vote a film.

Remember, the whole point of these fests is to get people out there making movies...so vote based on the same criteria that you use when you judge a major motion picture you see in the theatre. When you come out of the theatre you say it's a great film because it had a great story, it had great characters, it had great production value, great score, great sound, the protagonist had a clearly stated goal and utterly achieved or failed that goal, etc, etc...you don't say it's a great film because it 100% adhered to "your" definition of a particular "theme".

Peace,
Larry

Cynic821
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
this thread made me lolzorz

cinealma
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Well it was discussed AT LENGTH as to what the requirements were before the festival.

The answer was that it had to do with secretly gathering information

Also as you say - the gate keepers have signed off.

Also, nowhere did it ever say that SPYING has to drive the film. That would be SPY-ING fest.

The other two criteria yeah, have a spy, or have someone gathering information through covert means. That was explicitly stated.

But your definition seems to be so narrow as to exclude the fact that someone at some point gathering covert information by covert means makes them a spy. Whether it was right before the scene starts, or a day or month before. Now if that person is just sitting down having a hamburger with someone and talking about the weather you'd have a point. But if they are dealing with the fallout of said spying and the spy is present then ... how can that not qualify?

Whether they are a little girl, or a cop, or a bookie, or hot chicks on an airplane. Some of your NO list is just boggling especially Ancient Chinese secret. How could there possibly be more spying in this movie?

By even at the strictest interpretation of the definition how you can exclude some of the films on the no list -- unless the only thing that will satisfy you is James Bond, is pretty boggling.

All of these films that I have scene meet the 1st two criteria - have a spy or have spying. And some even meet your extra caveat that spy-ing drive the story.

SPY FILM: NO
Ancient Chinese Secret
A film SOLELY driven by a guy that goes on a mission to infiltrate and obtain secret information from an underground organization. How is this possibly not spying?

Briefcase
A film where EVERYONE is being surveiled by EVERYONE else and false allegiances are formed all to OBTAIN the contents of a Briefcase? How can this possibly not be spyfest.

Cristo
It's a secret organization ... is one of them a spy? I think the girl at the end is a secret operative. Seems like that would fit SPY fest, if not SPY-ING fest. But would definitely fit James Bond Fest.

Ecclesiastes
Freeze Frame
Frozen River
Glass Jaw
Hoffnung

Imprint
Information is obtained and secretly shared on a person, the person is then observed covertly to ascertain information - namely the best time and place to kill her.

In The Machine

Schittekatter
There is absolutely a spy here and what drives the story is figuring out who it is. He is in the act of actively covertly gaining information about the others when he is discovered.

It definitely meets the criteria of having a spy, and having to do with covert information.

How ON EARTH can you claim a film with a guy wearing a wire IN THE SCENE does not have a SPY in it? Again. The FIRST TIME i have seen SPYING must drive the film is in YOUR post.

No even say that was somehow EXPLICETLY stated before the fest - the actively driving thing ... if gathering the information is the OFFENSIVE, then my short deals with the DEFENSIVE - the guys who have been spied on as they actively try to route out the leak. Wow what a narrow definition you see even of this notion if you cannot tell the story from the perspective of the spy-ee, rather than just spy-er.

Without Provocation
There is a little spy here that's leaking information throughout.

The ones I didn't comment on I have not seen yet.

What do you hope to achieve with this discussion?

Do you feel frustrated because you restricted yourself unnecessarily? (I haven't seen your movie yet.) I mean what's the point?

I busted my ass to make a movie that I was excited about that fit within the contest requirements and the people that run the contest agree that my movie qualifies.

It's very frustrating to me, and it concerns me greatly, that you would imply that people should "consider in voting" your narrow interpretation of the fest, which is CLEARLY not shared by the contest runners.

My understanding is that the idea is to inspire people to go out and make a movie they care about and have them curated around a central THEME. Not a plot driver.

:confused:

I'm only making a personal observation of the films. Everybody is going to have their own opinion and I totally respect that.

Taylor, I KNOW you busted your ass making a film. And I am the first to say that it is one the best ones of the bunch. I don't mean to frustrate or confuse you. Again, I was just stating how I felt.

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't clear to ME, how loose the actual thematic rules were. Larry had made a good point I will probably rethink how I will actually go about voting.

And no, I'm not frustrated, nor did I restrict myself based on any preconceived notions. I'll be the first to say that I've been know to push a boundry or two. You can tell me right now, John, I think your film is in no way, shape or form a spy film and I'll respect your opinion and that's that. My goal in these fests is to make a film. As long as I do that, I'm happy.

Please, no disrespect to anybody or their films. I know that we all put our blood, sweat and tears into these films.

I was just making an observation, that's all.

I LOVE GUYS! :crybaby:

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I just figured out what this fest was missing. Drama :)

And now it's officially DVXuser fest folks :grin:

(pops open champagne)

Keystoned
06-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey John, thanks for taking my vehement disagreement so well.

:beer:

Kholi
06-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Don't see any harm in the list, either. This is to be expected when something is left so loose.

Norm Sanders
I think an interesting point to John's question is just to catagorize what films really fell where, but I'd certainly not want to be voted on based on how 'spy like' my film actually is ... nor will I vote on anyone else's with that regard.

If it made the screening process, then the powers that be clearly felt it met the guidelines. Granted they were loose guidelines, but they really NEEDED to be or we'd be all bored out of ou sculls watching 35+ films all with the same exact sub genre. Ugh!

I'm glad there's more variation than I thought there would be in the fest ... it makes the watching that much more interesting & enjoyable. That said, I'd prefer to go back to the broad based genres of Comedy, Drama, Horror, Action, etc.

I'd REALLY love for them to do a comedy fest next ... especially since I think the indie world has a tendency to go dark ... I know I do.

cinealma
Zombie fest did not have to have someone turning into a Zombie or eating brains. It only had to deal with Zombies. In fact they did not have to be Zombies even ... your film only had to feature the undead in some way. Mine had a zombie in it for only 30 seconds and he commits accidental suicide.

Sci-Fest did not have to have space ships or aliens or anybody actively doing anything. Only that somehow your story was set in world or dealt with circumstances that were outside of known or real science.

Hero Fest did not have to have some one actively hero-ing. It only had to deal with super heros. It could be a superhero at his retirement dinner. It could be someone that thought they were a super hero but maybe they weren't. Etc. You did not have to fly somewhere and save someone.

Horror Fest did not have to be scary, nor did it have to involve someone being scared. It only had to have some foothold in horror, be that gothic imagery, a married werewolf and a vampire having a domestic dispute. Anything.

My horrorfest entry was not really scary, and neither was yours, John (Cinealma). Mine was more of a gothic love story. And you ,in fact, took a VERY broad interpretation of that genre and the contest requirements for your film in that fest, and I am glad that you did because I liked your film very much and it reflected YOUR voice while still meeting the contest requirements ... though it perhaps wouldn't have if we put a definition on horror fest as strict as the one you are advocating for spyfest.

Now Movie Master's Awakening ... that was scary (kidding John, Kidding!) :)

JDS in the house!

Hey, I'll be the first one to admit that CFWB:N9 pushed the horror envelope a bit. And if someone were to say,

"You call that a horror film? The only thing that's a horror about it is that is was ever made at all!"

Well, I'd say, okey dokey.

I'm not advocating a strict definition for SpyFest, in fact it's pretty wide open. I guess I just didn't realize how wide, that's all.

Good to hear from you, Jack. And thanks for bringing up Movie Master, as I have nothing better to do than wash the vomit taste out of my mouth for the next couple of hours. :) :) :)

Take it easy.

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
I just figured out what this fest was missing. Drama :) That and a JDS Original Spy Film!!! Come on, man...we need you back in these fests! :thumbsup:

cinealma
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey John, thanks for taking my vehement disagreement so well.

:beer:

You da man! :beer:

Norm Sanders
06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I LOVE GUYS! :crybaby:

What the? Was this a confession just now, John?! Lol.

Norm Sanders
06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
That and a JDS Original Spy Film!!! Come on, man...we need you back in these fests! :thumbsup:

No, really, we don't. Everyone else would like a crack at first now & again, you know? :grin:

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
... Good to hear from you, Jack. And thanks for bringing up Movie Master, as I have nothing better to do than wash the vomit taste out of my mouth for the next couple of hours. :) :) :) ...

ROFL!!!!!

And not just an internet ROFL but a real one.

OK I did not actually fall out of my chair and roll on the floor.

But I did LOL for sure. (while I was ROFLing on the inside) :grin:

cinealma
06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
What the? Was this a confession just now, John?! Lol.

Sniffle. Sniffle. WHAT?!! I uh, uh... So does anybody know what the next fest is going to be?

Brandon Rice
06-05-2007, 03:56 PM
HEY! If Larry_R or Barry_S deemed the films fit with the theme, then they did!!! END OF STORY PEOPLE! SOMEONE CLOSE THIS STUPID THREAD! Watch the films, and CHILL OUT!

Charli
John, I'm going to agree and disagree. First of all, I agree that the genre really wasn't attacked as I thought it would be. The 'spy' or 'espionage' type of films were less and more was talking about being a spy.

Was "Son of Bond" a spy film? He was the son of a spy. In the end he killed someone. I found it engaging, but I did not find it true to the genre.

Neither "Without Provacation" which did not truly delve into the spy theme, but was more of a hostage situation theme.

"Hoffnug" was more a war theme.

"My Grandad Is A Hitman" is exactly the title, hitman.

To say you're a spy, have two talking heads like in "Cristo" (underwater scene sublime) and a few others, I'm sorry, but it doesn't do it for me. It's not true to the genre of spying, true to the gathering of information.

Though "Ancient Chinese Secret" was truer than most in the spying/gathering of information, I would have loved to seen it more about the spy game.

I think this genre was harder for most people to tackle. "Ancient..." is more spot on, however, if we are looking for people who call themselves spies, then "Spies Girls" really has the corner market. This film is totally engaging to this community.

We were told, Bond-like, frankly, so far, I'm not seeing it.

Matt Sconce
Hmmmm....so is the purpose of this list sorting people into a list based on What you think they should be (SPYFILM) as opposed to where they actually be based on the rules?

It seems like this could make people think some movies were not in the correct genre for the fest and sway votes away from them. I know some people who would not vote for amazing movies like imprint if they felt the person had not done what the fest asked of them. It seems this list could be detrimental to some of those films? That makes me wonder why even have it up in the first place?

cinealma
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
HEY! If Larry_R or Barry_S deemed the films fit with the theme, then they did!!! END OF STORY PEOPLE! SOMEONE CLOSE THIS STUPID THREAD! Watch the films, and CHILL OUT!

Brandon certainly gets himself wound up sometimes, don't he? :)

I think we're all good here.

Brandon Rice
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Brandon certainly gets himself wound up sometimes, don't he? :)

I think we're all good here.
Ain't wound up bro... just think this is a SILLY conversation... :beer:

Sorry the filmmakers chose to get more creative than Bond... :huh:

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Wait...I think something needs to be cleared up. We keep referring to (and I've done it myself as well) "spy" as the genre. "Spy" isn't a genre, but a "theme".

The genre of the film could be action, adventure, thriller, mystery, horror, comedy, etc as long as there was some "spy" element within the core of the story.

We were told, Bond-like, frankly, so far, I'm not seeing it. That was stated in the original rules, but if you continued through the rules discussion it was talked about and made clear that there was a much broader definition of the "theme" allowed.

cinealma
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Charli's hardcore, I tell ya! :)

I updated the first post and took the list down. BUT, I hope we can keep this conversation open as a means to discuss our films and how we approached the whole "spy" thing.

Great films this time around, people! I think we can all be proud!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Robin the Spy works because although he doesn't do any "explicit spy-ing", he is clearly a "spy".

Don't make me post a screen grab of Robin hiding behind the base of a wall and spying! Enough with this propaganda!

BTW, for those who don't get it... I'm just playing around. :)

But he does do some spying...

I won't mention it again...

Probably...

Maybe...

We'll see...

Mike

bosindy
06-05-2007, 04:02 PM

We actually weren't told that:)

Please, for the love of all that's holy, let's have some films that are about something OTHER THAN James Bond! :thumbsup: Stretch your creativity here, folks. Nobody wants to see a lame pale imitation of something else; we keep the rules specific and few so that you can comply (to the specificity) but be wildly creative (because of how few rules there are).

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Thank you bosindy...I was trying to find that post.

Brandon Rice
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks James! Wow... finally the truth comes out.

Frankly... I think everyone did a pretty good job of being MORE creative, than a straight Bond-type movie... good work.

Dustin R. Rogan
06-05-2007, 04:05 PM
THE LIST IS GONE!

I made an error in judgement as I did not have all the information as far as the thematic rules of Spy Fest. I guess I should have done a little spying myself.

Anyway, I would still like to keep this thread open to have a productive and friendly filmmaking discussion, if we can.

Cheers!
aww now that recess is over...i still didn't make the kickball team...:crybaby: lol

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
... We were told, Bond-like, frankly, so far, I'm not seeing it.

Jarred mentioned that offhandedly when he first posted the contest and unfortunately it was never deleted.

What was discussed ad nauseum in about 6 other places was that the film had to do with spying in some way, either have a real life spy, or a little girl that spies on her kid brother in the sand box would do just as well, for example.

So there is a very good reason you are not seeing Daniel Craig, or Emma Peel times 30 around here.

I can guarantee you that it is not the purpose of this festival to have 30 James Bond films and thank frickin' god.

If Barry_S or Larry or any mod wants to jump in right now and clear that up it would be great.

I can think of few fates worse than watching 30 DVXuser's version of James Bond. Wow.

Or this fest could be like EVERY OTHER DVXuser fest, and have a loose theme for us all to hang our hat on so that we can make films that excite us and express our individual voices under a common umbrella. That's it.

Brandon Rice
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
While we're talking Spy films....

www.SmugglersRansom.com

SHAMELESS PLUG :)

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Agree 100% JDS :thumbsup:

Charli
06-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Let's be honest, really, when you think of spy, you don't think of "Charlie's Angels" or "Rush Hour" or "Officer and a Gentleman" - what do you think of?

BOND, JAMES BOND

so in essence, if we are a community are told me construct a story using 'spy' as the theme, who are you kidding when your story doesn't have the tension of espionage, the gathering of information, the sense that someone is watching you.

Spy is spy. So when we looked at the horror films, we got horror (not all good, mind you), when we looked for drama, we got drama, this fest, for me, missed the mark.

Barry_Green
06-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow, it's disappointing that more people didn't understand how we do things around here. I guess we'll have to be more proactive in describing some things next time around.

For The Record: The Rules Are Not There To Corral The Filmmakers Down Any One Path.

The rules are there only to give some measure of common theme to the festival. That theme can be as loosely or as tightly interpreted as the filmmaker wants, as long as the theme is somehow met, by The Letter Of The Law. It does *not* have to meet The Spirit Of The Law, if you know what I mean!

When we had ZombieFest, not all films featured zombies. We extended it to mean any "undead" creature. We had fake TV commercials, we had vampires (one of the best films dealt with vampires in fact), we had all sorts of stuff. And we had a lot of fun.

I made a specific plea that people open their minds and create something creative. I'm very glad to see that some people stuck with the literal definition, some went with a loose definition, and some went completely off kilter but still met the technical requirements.

These have been our definitions. These were the definitions of the DVX Fest organizers and the DVX Fest rules committee. If anyone's particular interpretation is to say that the festival rules are "wrong", well, I don't know how to respond to that... that's just ... really presumptuous, I guess...

Feel free to make the film however you want, so long as it complies with our particular rules, but please don't presume to tell the other filmmakers that their films "don't count" -- that's incredibly uncharitable, and frankly, unfair.

As has been repeatedly stated in numerous threads: if you have a question as to whether your specific idea will or won't comply with the fest, just *ask* beforehand. As long as we can think of any possible way to shoehorn it into the rules, we'll try. At least historically, that's how we've tried to accomodate the filmmakers -- by giving them the freest possible hand and the lightest "requirements" we can!

But with that said, new fests are always subject to having new rules. We might go with StrictFest next time, where the rules must be strictly complied to. Or we might go with OpenFest, where there are no rules whatsoever. All things are subject to change.

Barry_S
06-06-2007, 03:23 PM
The mantra of DVXFest is --it's *your* festival. When we pick a theme, we try to see what excites you guys. I always read the suggestion threads. The rules are meant to be the minimal ones we need to run the fest smoothly. It's very clear that people want to be able to be creative in their interpretation of the themes, so we try to allow that (to a point). We also prescreen with a very open view that allows our users to judge the films. You can judge the gray areas yourself and not vote for a film if you feel it violates the rules or spirit of the fest. When we leave something open--feel free to roam, but when we have a specific rule we expect filmmakers to follow it. We do disqualify films every fest--unfortunately.