PDA

View Full Version : SpyFest Voting Instructions

Barry_S
06-02-2007, 07:49 AM
SpyFest Voting Instructions

Welcome to DVXuser.com's 2007 Spyfest short film festival.

Who is eligible to vote?

All current dvxuser.com members with 100 or more posts as of today, plus all submitting filmmakers regardless of post count. This applies only to the filmmaker that submitted the film to SpyFest, not the whole crew.

How do I vote?

The films will be available for viewing on Monday, June 4. After watching all the films, please send me (Barry S) a private message with your post count and your top 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for best film. You must vote for three different films for your vote to be counted and you may vote for your own film. All votes are kept completely confidential. Voting will be open through 3:00 p.m., Pacific Time on Sunday, June 10 and the results will be posted Sunday night.

How are the votes tallied?

Points are awarded to each film as follows:

1st place vote -- 5 points
2nd place vote -- 3 points
3rd place vote -- 1 point

How are the winners chosen?

We'll annound the top three films based on the total number of points they received. We will not announce the point totals for any films. Keep in mind that a film may be well-liked, but not considered as one of the top three films. Your best source of feedback is your individual film thread. There are always some high quality films that don't necessarily have a broad appeal.

Congratulations to all the filmmakers that submitted entries and thanks to all the members participating.

Jarred Land
06-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Prizes will be announced on Monday after voting opens :)

235 Studios
06-02-2007, 09:27 AM
So I take it that only the top 3 places will be announced, correct? It would be great, if it is possible to list the top 10.

Either way, thank you Barry for corrdinating the votes, and Jarred for coordinating the prizes.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Nice system Barry :beer:

I don't want to steal Jarred's thunder for Monday, but I heard a rumor about the prizes:
http://stickerobot.com/img/contest-winners5.gif

Man if I'd known 1st place was gonna be a pickled two headed cat, I SO would have entered. Darn it. :crybaby:

TimurCivan
06-02-2007, 09:34 AM
first place winner gets Jacks Dog bernie as a prize. Second place gets his HVX, thrid gerts his Marshall monitor. Sorry Jack.

cinealma
06-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey, I really want that pickled critter! :)

gaer42
06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Im cool with the pickled kitty:zombie_smiley: ... so long as it comes with some 5 month old Mayo and an old shoe:huh: ... you know.... to put it in to eat... heard its the BEES KNEES....:Drogar-Love(DBG):

Norm Sanders
06-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Funny pickled critter. Makey me laughy.

Barry_S
06-02-2007, 02:20 PM
We all agreed that this crowd would appreciate medical oddities more than grip gear. Fortunately, we found a sideshow down on it's luck and bartered Jack's services for 6 months in exchange for the mutant kitty. Good luck with that, Jack.

Jack Daniel Stanley
06-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Well even the bearded woman should have maternity leave.
And since I happen to be partial to lace Victorian dresses ... glad to fill in where I can.
Looks like a win/win sitch for all.

deedive
06-03-2007, 02:00 AM
We're adding a little something to this month's spyfest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado.
http://www.forum-auto.com/uploads/200410/olio_1098969712_cadillac_eldorado_2.jpg

Anybody want to see second prize?
Second prize is a set of steak knives.
http://www.bjsknives.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_1/29622788_7085883_full.jpg

Third prize is you're fired.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-03-2007, 06:05 AM
The films will be available for viewing on Monday, June 4. After watching all the films, please send me (Barry S) a private message with your post count and your top 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for best film. You must vote for three different films for your vote to be counted and you may vote for your own film. All votes are kept completely confidential.

I'm new here and I really don't want to stir the pot, but.... it seems odd that you can vote for your own film. I would even go so far as to say that if you worked on an entry in any capacity that you shouldn't be allowed to vote for it.

Especially when 5 or 6 members here may have worked on the same project. Wouldn't that skew the voting?

At least if you are going to allow it... then maybe make the voting public, and not private.

Just my 2 cents.

I really do appreciate what you guys are doing here. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just trying to make sense of it.

Thanks,

Mike

Ted Arabian
06-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks Barry_S for the voting instructions. I am glad that we get to vote for 1st, 2nd and 3rd this time around.

Jaime V
06-03-2007, 07:09 AM
...I would even go so far as to say that if you worked on an entry in any capacity that you shouldn't be allowed to vote for it.

Especially when 5 or 6 members here may have worked on the same project...

Mike

I think this part takes care of that:

Who is eligible to vote?

All current dvxuser.com members with 100 or more posts as of today, plus all submitting filmmakers regardless of post count. This applies only to the filmmaker that submitted the film to SpyFest, not the whole crew.

-Jaime

Ted Arabian
06-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Hey Jaime, how you doing? Did you write Barry_S. about changing your name??? (*hint* *hint* :) )

Jaime V
06-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey Ted...I'm doing good thanks :) The in-laws are visiting so keeping busy with that.

I was going to wait until all the fest was over before I bother Barry_S :) I figure he must be pretty busy with all that so I would wait til after to bug him hehe

I'm looking forward to your film man, good luck!

-Jaime

Barry_S
06-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Well, it wouldn't be DVXFest unless someone thought the voting system was wrong. :) We've always allowed people to vote for their own films, *but* for the most part people are modest (and honest) and they don't vote their film #1. But lets assume that every filmmaker and eligible crew member votes for their own film. So you'd have the 1st place votes spread out among over 30 films--a situation where there is no consensus on the 1st place film. However, it's very likely that the favorites would emerge in the 2nd and 3rd place choices and the point system would push those films that have broad consensus to the top.

So, you might as well honestly place your film, because the system should be robust enough to prevent a few extra votes from changing the results. I'll also point out that regardless of the different systems we've used, the cream always rises to the top.

I'm new here and I really don't want to stir the pot, but.... it seems odd that you can vote for your own film. I would even go so far as to say that if you worked on an entry in any capacity that you shouldn't be allowed to vote for it.

Especially when 5 or 6 members here may have worked on the same project. Wouldn't that skew the voting?

At least if you are going to allow it... then maybe make the voting public, and not private.

Just my 2 cents.

I really do appreciate what you guys are doing here. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just trying to make sense of it.

Thanks,

Mike

cinealma
06-03-2007, 08:47 AM
We're adding a little something to this month's spyfest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado.
http://www.forum-auto.com/uploads/200410/olio_1098969712_cadillac_eldorado_2.jpg

http://www.bjsknives.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_1/29622788_7085883_full.jpg

Ha! And fourth place prize is that you get called up on your cell phone and called a "fat little pig!"

:)

Norm Sanders
06-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I was going to wait until all the fest was over before I bother Barry_S :) I figure he must be pretty busy with all that so I would wait til after to bug him hehe

-Jaime

Jaime, just a heads up that I THINK Jarred is the only one who can change the usernames ... at least that's who I PM'd, and it only took a few days or so for it to happen.

Beat Takeshi
06-03-2007, 10:19 AM
This should be first prize but the winner has to turn it over to the new winner of the next fest.

http://www.mailorderexpress.com/shop/prdpics/124327.jpg

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Excellent explanation!

I understand the process much better now.

Cheers,

Mike

Jaime V
06-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey, thanks for the heads up Norm.

coreybb
06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Would you care to play a game?

Mike@AF
06-04-2007, 02:45 AM

HA! That's one of my favorite movies!

Mark Harris
06-04-2007, 06:48 AM
This should be first prize but the winner has to turn it over to the new winner of the next fest.

http://www.mailorderexpress.com/shop/prdpics/124327.jpg

No, that's what we should all be forced to make our films on for the next fest :) Then we see what's what!

Michael_Petro
06-04-2007, 07:07 AM
No, that's what we should all be forced to make our films on for the next fest :) Then we see what's what!

there would be like 2 submission by 8 yr old kids:)

deedive
06-04-2007, 08:44 AM
HA! That's one of my favorite movies!

me 2, doesnt get much better.

arielman
06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
When is the deadline for submitting your votes ?

Dial up to download a short...6 hrs 47 min ...high speed 1 minute 17 secs ..downloading a bunch now before work so I can watch tomorrow .
Ian

Barry_S
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Voting will be open through 3:00 p.m., Pacific Time on Sunday, June 10 and the results will be posted Sunday night.

chris f
06-04-2007, 09:36 PM
good to hear. i knocked 23 films out today, time to take a break and watch the rest tomorrow. can't wait to have them all viewed so I can start figuring out my votes. I just want to say thanks again to all the mods and sponsors of this fest, it's been a blast

slinks
06-04-2007, 10:40 PM
time to start watchin, good bye sleep!

**edit

well, I just finished having a spyfest marathon and watched them all. You guys are making it tough for me to vote. There are so many good ones! I wrote down at least 11 entries that I need to watch again tomorrow, then I can finally pick the top 3. eeeep!

arielman
06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Voting will be open through 3:00 p.m., Pacific Time on Sunday, June 10 and the results will be posted Sunday night.

Thanks Barry

I work the next few days ..crap this is going to hard to watch and comment on all . I will get my votes in for sure .
Ian

Brandon Rice
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Voted... thanks guys!

Tom Marshall
06-08-2007, 10:39 PM
My vote is in! May the best filmmaker win... :beer:

Norm Sanders
06-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Ditto. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=99950&page=5