PDA

View Full Version : hoffnung

arielman
06-01-2007, 11:45 AM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/TheRaptor365/hoffnung3.jpg

Filmed with a DVX 100a

Synopsis

In April , 1945 the Allies were pushing towards Berlin .

Remaining German forces were still fighting in France .

April 8th , Hitler orders his Special Elite force to stop the Allies at all cost from entering Sector C .

April 13th , The Allies have lost contact with the Germans Elite force .

Turned down at the beginning of the war as being to old to Fly .
Robert takes on the job as Flight instructor .
By the end of the war the Allies were losing airmen at an alarming rate .
Robert now has a chance to to help his Country .

I would like to Thank the Raptor 365 for all his help ( Spitfire , explosions and music )

Thanks to John ( Our Hero the...) and Ken ( Our Hero the..) for stepping in at the last moment and to Shaun who offered his Property for the film.

Also thanks to

Trevor McPherson ( Draco )
Sherri Kelly
Rob Deschamps ( Draco) ( Our Hero the...)
Matt Taylor ( Our Hero the...)
Mike Parr ( Our Hero the...) and son Gavin
Jack Lewis
and last
Sandra Lewis ( helping with the clothing , make up and the making of the oxygen mask )

Ian

Robert looking at the noose
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/arielman_01/kennoose.jpg

Gavin ( Roberts son )

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/arielman_01/gavin.jpg

Colour grab of the Gestapo and Robert

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/arielman_01/BigJohn.jpg

and now B&W

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/arielman_01/johnKen.jpg

Our Pilot Robert takes a break from a stressful day .

We will be doing a Video commercial (fun) from this clip .
Ideas are welcomed .

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/7281/1180913474.jpg

Charli
06-01-2007, 06:04 PM
OMG - a period piece. Please tell me there's a chase, a gun fire exchange, and that the Nazi's get their come uppins! Good luck on this short. I like the idea. Toss out some photos.

cinealma
06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh, this looks like another good one. I like the poster/grab. Did you finish off in B/W?

arielman
06-01-2007, 11:12 PM
OMG - a period piece. Please tell me there's a chase, a gun fire exchange, and that the Nazi's get their come uppins! Good luck on this short. I like the idea. Toss out some photos.

Hi Charli

I don't want to give to much away . I will say there is a small gunfire scene and small it is .
As for the Nazi's .....well I'll only say he is a ( censored ) ..lol

I will try and post some pics on Sat night .

Ian

arielman
06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Oh, this looks like another good one. I like the poster/grab. Did you finish off in B/W?

Hi cinealma

Yes the whole clip is B&W . I was asked if I was going to do colour this time . nope B&W . To watch this in colour just doesn't have the same efffect .

Ian

cinealma
06-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi cinealma

Yes the whole clip is B&W . I was asked if I was going to do colour this time . nope B&W . To watch this in colour just doesn't have the same efffect .

Ian

Awesome! This fest and the last fest I entered (HorrorFest) I did in B/W. Nothing like that classic look, especially for a period piece like yours. DEFINITELY looking forward to your film.

arielman
06-02-2007, 04:54 AM
Awesome! This fest and the last fest I entered (HorrorFest) I did in B/W. Nothing like that classic look, especially for a period piece like yours. DEFINITELY looking forward to your film.

I remember...."Cure for writers block"...That was well done .

The classic part of your short was the young boy dragging his box across the floor so he could stand on it and change the number...

This Fest should be a good one .

I really thought with all cameras being included there would be a lot more enteries .

Ian

cinealma
06-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks Ian.

Yes, I thought there would be more DIVERSITY in cameras as well, but we'll see. At any rate, looking through all the threads, I think we'll have a good slew of films this go around.

Charli
06-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Ian - I'll go for the small gunfire, make it good!

Michael_Petro
06-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I would like to Thank the Raptor 365 for all his help ( Spite Fire , explosions and music )

me too he does amazing stuff:)

arielman
06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
me too he does amazing stuff:)

Thanks Michael , I'll pass that along.

It amazes me as to what he can do and doing it for the first time !!.

Ian

Dahopafilms
06-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Perfect, Ian!

We needed an Eastern Canada entry (Central Canada being - - Winnipeg, of course).

Especially another excellent entry from you.

Cheers, man.

Michael_Petro
06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Check out Raptors amzing work in the Briefcase :) look for dark thick clouds.. and see if you can find the missing water drop:) that so inconviently decided to drop on my lense..

Thanks Michael , I'll pass that along.

It amazes me as to what he can do and doing it for the first time !!.

Ian

arielman
06-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Ian - I'll go for the small gunfire, make it good!

lol I think you may miss it , sorry if I have miss led you ...it maybe more of a pop ..hahaha .
hope you enjoy irregardless .
Ian

arielman
06-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Perfect, Ian!

We needed an Eastern Canada entry (Central Canada being - - Winnipeg, of course).

Especially another excellent entry from you.

Cheers, man.

Hi Dahopafilms (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=6493)

Well thank you !!!
I wish there were more Canadian Entries in these fest as well.

I think you will like this one . I am really happy with the way this one turned out .

Draco the one my brother and I did I thought was good but he says this short is much better ...

Please note this is not a DRACO style short .

I am just awaiting word to see if it is OK to post grabs from the SHORT .

Thanks again Dahopafilms (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=6493)

Ian

Edit
Come to think of it I thought there ( or) was an entry from Ottawa , Ont
he was getting a new DVX100b .

arielman
06-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Check out Raptors amzing work in the Briefcase :) look for dark thick clouds.. and see if you can find the missing water drop:) that so inconviently decided to drop on my lense..

Murphy's law . A drop on the lens or a snow storm on a warm day ..yes for real .
Thats what happened to us .
Why Why Why does that happen ..lol

Looking forward to the short Michael
Ian

Norm Sanders
06-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Ian, you and your period films! :) Looking forward to seeing this entry from you! And here I thought BERLIN was really going to separate itself from the crowd due to the period, but you already had that base covered, lol!

Beat Takeshi
06-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Nice variety coming out of this fest. I look foward to seeing this.

arielman
06-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Ian, you and your period films! :) Looking forward to seeing this entry from you! And here I thought BERLIN was really going to separate itself from the crowd due to the period, but you already had that base covered, lol!

Hi Norm

Period films , yes I'm a sucker for those .

I went so far as to get proper , even reall items for this short .
The Leather Coat is an actuall WW11 German Officers coat and it is very heavy!!!
The leather bombers jacket was worn by an American pilot in WW11 as well the leather flying cap , and the goggles .

Funny doing research ..right here in Belleville is a Gentleman when 20 yrs old he flew Spitfires . He was shot down over Africa and spent his time as a POW as a escape committe member in the famous camp on which the movie "The Great Escape" was based on .
He was waiting for his name to be picked and how let down he was when he had to stay behind . Today he reflects on that a little different.

When I saw 'BERLIN" I thought GREAT!!! I was really looking towards watching the short . Then when you pulled out due to the langauge (speaking German) issue , what a bummer.
I still hope you continue with " BERLIN" at some point.

Ian

arielman
06-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Nice variety coming out of this fest. I look foward to seeing this.

Hi Aram
yes I couldn't agree more ..the fest has a great variety this time .
Glad your in . Always enjoy watching your shorts .
Ian

Keystoned
06-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Wow a period piece with authentic items. Bet nobody else can say that! Looking forward to it. Cool man :beer:

arielman
06-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Wow a period piece with authentic items. Bet nobody else can say that! Looking forward to it. Cool man :beer:

Hi Keystoned

We tried our best to keep it period and authentic the best we could .

Ian

cinealma
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Ok, so this is one of my favorites. (AND NO POEPLE, NOT BECAUSE IT'S IN B&W!). I do love the B&W though. Very dreamy and silky quality to it. Love the exterior visuals. Love the plane sequence. Costumes were great. Very cool film.

Just three quick criticisms.

First is the characters/actors. I really would have tried to have them speak in native accents. The German guy sounds like he's from the Midwest. The Canadian guy, well, sounded like a Canadian, but that's probably not a stretch. You might have even had some of the characters speak in their native languages to each other with subtitles.

Second thing is the sound in the interrogation/torture room was a little to "lively".

Third thing is that the pilot should have reacted a bit more in pain as he was being put through the wringer.

I point these things out not be overly critical, but because I really liked your film. This is probably one of the "smaller" films in the fest, but it's a good one!

Great job. Thanks for letting me watch it.

chris f
06-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Standard Disclaimer: I've watched half of the films so far and have yet to see a bad film. Congratulations to every film maker, everyone did a great job. All my comments and criticisms are meant to be constructive and helpful and in no way am I trying to take anything away from what you accomplished.

Good: Cinematography was top notch (really liked the POV shots). Sound design was very good as well. Good story. Really liked the airplane shots.

Not as Good: The acting for the most part didn't match up with the intensity of the situation. I'd expect people to be more tense, hurried, scared, etc. in that situation. The main character didn't seem to be in much pain for all the torture he endured. Also, although this is minor, the paper that said the war was over stuck out as it was perfectly white computer paper with nice print on it, I think a more yellowish/weathered piece of paper with a different font (perhaps handwritten) would have matched the period better. The titling font seemed a little "microsoft word-ish".

jamesh
06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I enjoyed it, but i agree with some of the criticisms.

American german officers & french peasents kind of take me out of that world.
I also think there could have been more CU's of the pilot's reactions to what he was going though.

Other than that i thought it was mostly good. It even reminded me of this great commercial for stella artois http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6HCeGWBm7s

The cgi of the plane at the start was pretty damn good too!

bosindy
06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I liked this film, cool vfx and good story. A period piece is ambitious and I think you pulled off the feel of european countryside very well. I wanted the German officer to have a german accent, could have used a few cu's as mentioned. Congrats on the film, well done.

Mark Harris
06-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm going to say what everyone is thinking:

You are INSANE. And I look forward to everything you do. This was fantastic. Maybe I could nitpick here and there, but this is the first film I've seen in the fest and made me care about that all important question:

What's going to happen next????

I had a really good time watching this.

JOE BLO
06-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I liked your film. I think your camera work was great. The effects with the airplane were amazing!!!! My only problem was the acting. It was awful for the most part and the German interogator should of had an accent. I also thought you would end it with his son running into his arms. I still really liked it.

Charli
06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
The fx was sweet. Love the warplane. As a writer I'll have to say I enjoyed the
'content' of this film more than others, because you had content. A trick to working
with actors who may not be good actors, give them less to say. Instead of,
"Are you American" he could have said, "American?" and so on, and so on.
Embrace that less is more.

Also, if you begin with a picture of the son, you should end with a picture of the son.
Visual bookends. I will however say that I don't think this is a true 'spy' film. I
think it falls more in the genre of drama, war drama. Still, I think you did a
terrific job and it has more of a cinematic feel than most. Kudos.

arielman
06-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys for the comments

As for the lack of German accents ...well most movies up to the 60's , Germans didn't have accents , in fact most had an English accent .
I wanted to make this short of that period style .
cinealma (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/member.php?u=13091) .. as for the Lively sound ..yes for sure but I had no control on that it was in the basement and the sound sure bounced .

As for the acting ..HHmmm well I must defend these guys .
John ( German) put everything into his role as did Ken . This was a huge role for both of these guys as they are non actors.

The lack of pain from Robert ...Films of this period , the characters when tortured or beaten rarley showed any emotion and that is what we based our scenes on ...These guys were portrayed as TOUGH .

The Rapter 365 says Thanks on the kind comments for the Spitfire scenes .

Thanks for the comments and I do listen to them all and I am glad you guys still enjoyed the short .

Ian

arielman
06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm going to say what everyone is thinking:

You are INSANE. And I look forward to everything you do. This was fantastic. Maybe I could nitpick here and there, but this is the first film I've seen in the fest and made me care about that all important question:

What's going to happen next????

I had a really good time watching this.

Thanks Mark
I guess we are insane for trying this period stuff .

Ian

arielman
06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Ok, so this is one of my favorites. (AND NO POEPLE, NOT BECAUSE IT'S IN B&W!). I do love the B&W though. Very dreamy and silky quality to it. Love the exterior visuals. Love the plane sequence. Costumes were great. Very cool film.

Many Thanks cinealma

I tried to get that 40's soft look and glad you liked the result .

Ian

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Very ambitious! Loved the flight sequence, nice work there.
Your shot framing was also very good, so was the lighting.

I really liked the ending as well.

Have to give props to a good Canadian film. ;)

Cheers,

Mike

arielman
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
The fx was sweet. Love the warplane. As a writer I'll have to say I enjoyed the
'content' of this film more than others, because you had content. A trick to working
with actors who may not be good actors, give them less to say. Instead of,
"Are you American" he could have said, "American?" and so on, and so on.
Embrace that less is more.

Also, if you begin with a picture of the son, you should end with a picture of the son.
Visual bookends. I will however say that I don't think this is a true 'spy' film. I
think it falls more in the genre of drama, war drama. Still, I think you did a
terrific job and it has more of a cinematic feel than most. Kudos.

Hi Charli

Thanks !!!

As for the young boy ....well by the time we shot the ending ...he was sure cranky . It would've been nice to have him running to his DAD BUT it was getting late and he just didn't want to play anymore ..lol

Thanks Again Charli for the Kind words .. these mean a lot .
Ian

Charli
06-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Ariel - I'm a real content snob and I can say, from a writer's point of view, so far, this one has real cinematic value and though I know you want to defend your actors, it's the audience they have to impress and the delivery of their lines were not always organic, hence, if you have them say less, there's less chance of faulty delivery. If you ever need help on a script, someone as an advisor, toss it my way, I would love to take it a look at it, and I don't offer that to everyone. Good job.

arielman
06-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Very ambitious! Loved the flight sequence, nice work there.
Your shot framing was also very good, so was the lighting.

I really liked the ending as well.

Have to give props to a good Canadian film. ;)

Cheers,

Mike

Mike ...Many Thanks for the compliment .

I showed a retired airforce guy last night at work and asked him his thoughts on the short ...He watched ...and exclaimed this is great ! I love it ! I want a DVD .

Did you get your DVX ?

Sorry you didn't make the fest . was looking forward to a short from you .

Ian

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 10:44 AM
LOL! I did make the fest. Just click my banner and check it out. :)

I bought the HV20.

I would love to read your comments... so post away in my thread.

I made Robin the Spy.

Cheers,

Mike

arielman
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Ariel - I'm a real content snob and I can say, from a writer's point of view, so far, this one has real cinematic value and though I know you want to defend your actors, it's the audience they have to impress and the delivery of their lines were not always organic, hence, if you have them say less, there's less chance of faulty delivery. If you ever need help on a script, someone as an advisor, toss it my way, I would love to take it a look at it, and I don't offer that to everyone. Good job.

Many Thanks Charli

I'll keep that in mind as I am a horrible writer and to have some help with the script or to even to give advice would make my day .

Ian

arielman
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
LOL! I did make the fest. Just click my banner and check it out. :)

I bought the HV20.

I would love to read your comments... so post away in my thread.

I made Robin the Spy.

Cheers,

Mike

Ok my face is red !!!
How in the H$%^ did I miss the Canadian connection here ..lol

I'll be watching for sure . I think that makes 3 Canadians in the fest or did I miss anyone else..lmao

Sorry Mike ..just can't believe I missed that ..

Ian

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
No problem, there's a lot of entries.
Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Mike

gabrielflorit
06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
This is the first film that gave me the chills.

I don't know what to say. It looks impressive, like a huge-crew production. Everything was so well done.

Congratulations.

arielman
06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
This is the first film that gave me the chills.

I don't know what to say. It looks impressive, like a huge-crew production. Everything was so well done.

Congratulations.

Many Thanks gabrielflorit

My face is turning red !

I am really glad the chill effect worked , it did for me making it .
I'll pass this along to everyone.
Glad you enjoyed the short .

Ian

Aaron Marshall
06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Hi,

I liked your film. I think it could have been 100x better with fake German and French accents. Even though you could argue some of those Germans learned English with an american accent to gain our trust and spy during WWII. They would pose as americans in camps and learn secrets from real american soldiers. I don't think it applies in this case.

I liked how your story was based on real life events. Yikes that finger scenes freaked me out. The scene where they come storming in to the rescue was very well done and suspenseful. Great job on the B&W look as well. I also loved the bike scene.

Michael_Petro
06-07-2007, 03:42 AM
nice film my friend I liked it ...but my finger still hurts... ouch... and raptor is amazing...

arielman
06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi,

I liked your film. I think it could have been 100x better with fake German and French accents. Even though you could argue some of those Germans learned English with an american accent to gain our trust and spy during WWII. They would pose as americans in camps and learn secrets from real american soldiers. I don't think it applies in this case.

I liked how your story was based on real life events. Yikes that finger scenes freaked me out. The scene where they come storming in to the rescue was very well done and suspenseful. Great job on the B&W look as well. I also loved the bike scene.

Thanks Aaron
Glad we freaked you out . I am glad some were as I didn't want to show anything but just to use your imagination .
Again just like the old movies did .

I think if I was going to do another like this I would do it in Colour and do it 07 Hollywood style and have German & French accents maybe something like what Norm was going to do with "BERLIN" . He pulled out do to Lack of German speaking actors I think . What a shame as I was looking forward to that short.
In the end I think We did a good job of trying to capture the 1940/50's Movie look , no blood/gore and our men (all allies) were tough as nails.

If anyone wants to see a 07 Hollywood torture style short then watch ..."No Middle Ground"

An excellent short I think .
Ian

nice film my friend I liked it ...but my finger still hurts... ouch... and raptor is amazing...

Thanks Mike

The Rapter was worried about his Spitfire stuff being believable .
A co-worker thought it was actual footage now that is a compliment .

Glad everyone so far liked his work .

That was his first attempt at that , Just amazing I think .
I know I couldn't do that if my life depended on it .

Ian

aFox
06-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Definitely one of my favourite endings in this fest. Great score too. Liked the locations too, still i think the transitions from and too the torture chamber were not soo good, also some cuts in the chamber were not successful in my opinion. Another thing i didn't like was when he runs through the wood and there are explosions around him, he doesn't really seem to react to that, probably because the actor was expecting them. But i still like the movie very much, great job definitely and huge production value.

Beat Takeshi
06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
You definitely took on something thats hard to do and did a decent job I thought. Period pieces take so much time with all the research and stuff. I never thought I wasn't back at that time through out the movie. I wished they had accents though to really sell it but I know thats a big logistical nightmare. The punches to the camera were a great touch but the one shot where we see the guys head was not so good. He didn't move his head like he was getting hit. The explosions were cool along with the airplane shots. Did you do those yourself? THe first thing I thought of was maybe it was taken from a video game of something. Good job.

Keystoned
06-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Wow. Nice Period work.
Really well put together.
I agree that accents would have helped.
Only two things seemed slightly anachronistic and that was the main SS guy's haircut and the side of the house where he stole the bike. But considering how hard this is to pull off that was pretty impressive.

arielman
06-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Definitely one of my favourite endings in this fest. Great score too. Liked the locations too, still i think the transitions from and too the torture chamber were not soo good, also some cuts in the chamber were not successful in my opinion. Another thing i didn't like was when he runs through the wood and there are explosions around him, he doesn't really seem to react to that, probably because the actor was expecting them. But i still like the movie very much, great job definitely and huge production value.

Thanks for your comments .

Transitions between outside and the torture chamber . I think that comes down to personal choice .
I even HATE how HollyWood does it at times.
The explosions HHMM Hell if HollyWood can do it so can I .
There was a lot of movies past and present that the actors never flinched during close explosions.
Glad you still enjoyed .
Ian

arielman
06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
You definitely took on something thats hard to do and did a decent job I thought. Period pieces take so much time with all the research and stuff. I never thought I wasn't back at that time through out the movie. I wished they had accents though to really sell it but I know thats a big logistical nightmare. The punches to the camera were a great touch but the one shot where we see the guys head was not so good. He didn't move his head like he was getting hit. The explosions were cool along with the airplane shots. Did you do those yourself? THe first thing I thought of was maybe it was taken from a video game of something. Good job.

Hi Aram
Thanks for your view on our short .
Sorry we couldn't have put you into that period I tried my best .
Period shorts are hard to do but I'll alwasy give it a try .
Punhes .This was our first time doing this and so with our actors .learning experience .
There is one shot i am not happy with but funny it is not yours ..lol
different views I guess.

Explosions were done by The Rapter365 as well as the Spitfire shots.
The explosions were real simple to do but not for me lol .Once I saw how it was done DUH!!
Thanks agian Aram for your thoughts on the short .

arielman
06-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow. Nice Period work.
Really well put together.
I agree that accents would have helped.
Only two things seemed slightly anachronistic and that was the main SS guy's haircut and the side of the house where he stole the bike. But considering how hard this is to pull off that was pretty impressive.

Hey thanks
Just watched your film tonight and will post with others tomorrow .
Enjoyed your short !
Haircuts ..The Germans were pretty consistent on the style But I have seen a few pics of some out of style cuts some wore .
Same as for the Canadians . There were many that actually had long hair , Yes long hair ,not the 60s style but long enough .
So style really didn't matter to us .
The side of the house ..Ok you got us there BUT it was built in the late 1890's I think or very early 1900's .

Ian

Shawn Philip Nelson
06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Congrats!! My wife and I enjoyed it. I'm so very glad someone did a period film! I find them much more interesting.

I did wish the SS officer either spoke subtitled German or spoke with an accent. It just seemed like another Canadian played him.

Was the guy playing his dad?

Charli
06-09-2007, 09:26 AM
By the way, how long was your shoot? How many days did it take to get it all filmed?

Norm Sanders
06-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Ian,

Some nice shots & camera work in here, my favorite being the POV of Robert getting smacked by the German officer and the camera moving accordingly - NICE! Good premise as well. Was this based on a true story? It really felt like it, based on the ending title cards. The dialogue was weak in spots, and was only amplified by the acting at times, especially by the person playing the German who I felt desperately needed an accent (if not speaking in German with subtitles)! Props to Raptor365 as well for some nice work on the Spitfire!

Ian, you're improving with each entry. Keep it up!

Edgen
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM
My Thoughts:

Music (when it was there) was great! Especially the chase scene. Was that stock music?

Was that the same girl in the end that invented the nuclear power in "Ecclesiastes"? And.. was that a printed email saying Hitler was dead?

Black and white... I would much rather see a color grading than the full black and white. Some of those locations would have looked amazing!

looking forward to your next entry.

/j

arielman
06-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Congrats!! My wife and I enjoyed it. I'm so very glad someone did a period film! I find them much more interesting.

I did wish the SS officer either spoke subtitled German or spoke with an accent. It just seemed like another Canadian played him.

Was the guy playing his dad?

Many Thanks and glad you enjoyed the short .

The little boy is Mikes son . Mike was the french guy in the rafters "I'll be right down"

Everytime I got the camera out Gavin would be there ..loved the camera he did ..lol

Ian

arielman
06-10-2007, 04:34 PM
By the way, how long was your shoot? How many days did it take to get it all filmed?

Hi Charli
Sorry for the delay (working) and had issues connecting last night >Dial up.
Almost all of it was shot on a Saturday .
The following Saturday we shot the Home comming , Gavin & Roberts bit , 2 scenes in the torture chamber and all the inside barn stuff .

The Rapter 365 spent more time doing the Spitfire scenes than the actual shoot.

We were thankfull to Ken & John for staying so late on the first Saturday as the snow storm really threw a wrench into the works .

O and yes a part of a Saturday for Ken and some green screen shots ( Him in the pilots seat)

Ian

arielman
06-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Ian,

Some nice shots & camera work in here, my favorite being the POV of Robert getting smacked by the German officer and the camera moving accordingly - NICE! Good premise as well. Was this based on a true story? It really felt like it, based on the ending title cards. The dialogue was weak in spots, and was only amplified by the acting at times, especially by the person playing the German who I felt desperately needed an accent (if not speaking in German with subtitles)! Props to Raptor365 as well for some nice work on the Spitfire!

Ian, you're improving with each entry. Keep it up!

Thanks Norm

I would put this all on One page but it is giving fits "Error on page " Uggg!

The story is Fake But based on some true events .
After D Day The North Nova Scotia regiment was moving to a French town ( some where near Caen) The name escapes me at the moment.

After encountering the Germans and a fierce battle the Canadians were surrounded .Trapped! They surrendered to the Germans who were headed by a Vicious commander .
He interigated 20 of 50 men .
When the 20 refused to talk he took one by one into the Garden and shot each one in the back of the head and left them there to rot .
They were discovered by the Black Watch a short time later .

Also here in our town lives a gentleman who at the age 20 was shot down in Africa flying his Spitfire .
He later sat on the Escape Committee and was turned for the escape attempt that night .
That camp was where the story "THE GREAT ESCAPE " came from .
As you know Most of the escapies were all shot .

During the war , here in Ontario we had POW camps .
Once here the Germans realized that they were lied to about their enemy and once the war ended many of them came back here and started their own business .
So I put these stories together into one .
And to have Robert come home to Nova Scotia .

The German accent or lack of it I think was our biggest hit so far.

The acting , well we tried once agin with the local theater guild and the same crap... HOW MUCH!!!!
They do theater for free but mention a camera and all changes .
So I am very grateful when people want to do a short , without them I'm screwed!
Maybe someday Norm we'll have actors ..real ones ..lol

until then...

Ian

arielman
06-10-2007, 05:23 PM
My Thoughts:

Music (when it was there) was great! Especially the chase scene. Was that stock music?

Was that the same girl in the end that invented the nuclear power in "Ecclesiastes"? And.. was that a printed email saying Hitler was dead?

Black and white... I would much rather see a color grading than the full black and white. Some of those locations would have looked amazing!

looking forward to your next entry.

/j

Thanks Justin

The lady was ours and only ours ..lol
The E mail ...hahahahaha yes for sure , you know the Germans had amazing technology back then .
Actually we forgot the original paper so we substituted a page from the script .
No Pen handy at the time .
never thought we should have re taken that shot until the paper landed with the print away from us .

Colour grading ... I'm not very good at that but still playing with it .

Music ..the Rapter 365 tried to contact a DVX member for help but was to busy doing music for others so the Rapter 365 took some of my Royalty free stuff I have and mixed and matched .

Ian