PDA

View Full Version : "Don't Look"

jojopop
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
http://www.filehigh.com/serve/28511/427725.jpg

Lost Productions presents

"Don't Look"

Some secrets were never meant to be seen.

jojopop
05-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Download link click here (http://www.dvxfest.com/spyfest/loader.php?id=6144).

Comments and feedback welcome!

Larry Rutledge
05-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Nice...looking forward to it. Welcome! :thumbsup:

Danielleus
05-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we goooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

leechoid
06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
NICE!!! Time to check it out!!

Oh yeah, I play the dude, so file complaints here, yep! =D

leechoid
06-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh yeah - the "dude" being "Nathan," ha ha... =p

cinealma
06-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Welcome aboard guys! Another interesting looking film to look forward to.

Norm Sanders
06-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Love the poster, jojopop! Congrats on getting one in!

Keystoned
06-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Very evocative on the poster there, particularly the "help me out of the prison of mysefl" writing ... wanna see what that's all about now :beer:

jojopop
06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the comments on the poster... hopefully you guys'll dig the movie itself! :)

Danielleus
06-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes, please check out the film. Feedback always welcome.

wesley
06-04-2007, 01:27 PM
cool poster indeed. cool film as well, nice attention to sound design.
the night scene seemed too dark for me but my screen is also on the dark side so it could be that.

nice fx too, kill scene looked pretty real.

chris f
06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Standard Disclaimer: I've watched half of the films so far and have yet to see a bad film. Congratulations to every film maker, everyone did a great job. All my comments and criticisms are meant to be constructive and helpful and in no way am I trying to take anything away from what you accomplished.

Good: Computer graphics and sound effects were great and had some good looking shots in there. Cool concept with the hidden codes, had me thinking along the lines of Davinci.

Not as Good: The dark lighting for the 2nd half the of the film was maybe a little too dark. I'm on a mac which has brighter displays and it was still almost too dark to see what was going on.

Sidenote: The main actor kinda looked like the kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun.

aravance
06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I haven't watched all the films yet, but I totally dug this one.
I'd have to say it is my favorite so far.

Great directing, sound design, and editing.

My ONLY complaint would be that the dark scenes did look incredibly dark on my monitor. Mostly just the bedroom scenes, the outside scenes were dark but not to the degree of the bedroom scenes.

But I really liked it and it was quite effective in building up suspense.

Kudos!!

gabrielflorit
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
This was really well done! The first scenes drew me in immediately, like watching a good film. Clever use of voice over. I like the patterns he keeps seeing, those were subtle but probably technically hard to pull off. The park scenes were by far the best, great lighting, good tempo. The bedroom scenes were HORRIBLE. I wanted to turn my brightness on, I couldn't see a thing. That was extremely distracting.
Soundtrack was cool, the sound was fine, except for the tinny first bang - or was that simply gun against wall? The best shot (no pun) might be the shot - great lighting, I loved it, very noir.

In conclusion: good script, good acting, some really fine cinematography, except for the bedroom scenes. Consistently good.

jojopop
06-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey all, thanks for the feedback. To address the darkness: yeah, my fault entirely. Sorry about that -- I think that may have been a result of some bad color timing, poorly calibrated monitor and shoddy compression. I'll fix that on the next cut.

Hopefully you guys can still sorta make out what happens...

Thanks again!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Dark here as well. I'm going to watch it again later because I think I missed something. The good thing is... I want to watch it again! Very interesting movie.

Cheers,

Mike

Keystoned
06-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I really liked your sense of style.

In the bedroom decoding scenes I liked the style more because I really felt it served the story. He was really digging here, trying to figure something out and I felt the scenes had a nice arc and build that the intercuts with the the text etc. really served.

I felt the style was less effective in the opening. Mostly because it went on past the point off "I get it". Then it was just style for style's sake and not still actively moving towards some conclusion along some arc that was dramatic and suspenseful.

I echo others on the dark being too dark in the apartment.

Not quite sure what the story was. Like others mentioned, I think I will watch again, because it is definitely worth watching again.

Overall I enjoyed it a great deal. I especially like the last panning shot with the surveillance build in the sound design and VFX.

Nice work! :beer:

Danielleus
06-05-2007, 01:26 AM
"I felt the style was less effective in the opening. Mostly because it went on past the point off "I get it". Then it was just style for style's sake and not still actively moving towards some conclusion along some arc that was dramatic and suspenseful."

Thanks for the nods on the film. Jason's (jojopop's) film, but I would say that the "style" in the open day stuff mirrors that which is throughout, which is the whole surveillance or anxiety of surveillance. That's what I read into it cause I hate unmotivated style as well. But I think that's what's happening there with the sounds of talking, static, greenish tints and visual static that goes in and out. But ultimately, you buy that or you don't, eh?

About the darknes, well, it's dark. We're making him fix that.
Thanks for watching. It's a real treat to show in such great company.

cinealma
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Another film I really liked. Still, quiet, but some bad mojo going on. I like the internal monolgue in this one, really fits quite nicely and helps the film along instead of hindering it.

It was dark, but not too dark that it bothered me. And I think the darkness was perfect for it.

The one thing I have to say about the contrast, too dark, too light, color, etc. comments it that you have to remember that pretty much everyone is probably watching it on a different brand/size/type of monitor AND different brightness/contrast/color temp. settings. So what might be considered "dark" on one person's screen might be fine on another's.

Anyway, good job. One of my favorites. Thanks for screening.

leechoid
06-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Sidenote: The main actor kinda looked like the kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun.
Ha ha! Yeah, I've gotten that quite a bit, ha ha... This is the curse of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, noooo.... It will go one day, I hope. But, at least he's great, ha ha!

Hootzie
06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Great movie my friend! Story built very well and I felt like I had seen a complete film! I won't mention the darkness, cuz everyone else has. Loved it!

jojopop
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Hootzie you're from Fresno? that's crazy -- our whole crew is originally from Fresno. We shot the park seq at Woodward.......

Keystoned
06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
... Thanks for the nods on the film. Jason's (jojopop's) film, but I would say that the "style" in the open day stuff mirrors that which is throughout, which is the whole surveillance or anxiety of surveillance. That's what I read into it cause I hate unmotivated style as well. But I think that's what's happening there with the sounds of talking, static, greenish tints and visual static that goes in and out. But ultimately, you buy that or you don't, eh? ...

Going for clarity here. It is not my intention to go on a rant of any kind. But I talk too much by nature so it may sound that way. Just know that I'm not pissed off or anything - just having a discussion.

...But ultimately, you buy that or you don't, eh? ...

Not exactly. I made a distinction of when the style really worked for me and when it worked for me less. Might be worth considering why in each instance rather than dismissing my entire comment as just not getting it or buying it. I'm talking about using it to tell a story or not, moment to moment, not whether or not it just makes a general kind of sense or if you kind of buy it or you don't. My point was that the style in the opening established the surveillance thing and then seemed to keep doing it longer than necessary - a point wholly unconnected to whether I bought it or not.

Is all of the style of a whole? Yes. Is it germane to the subject matter? Yes. If the style were a piece of music would the surveillance motif be consistent and well developed throughout? Yes. Do I feel like someone just layed a surveillance style on a film for no good reason? No.

My point is in the deciphering scenes that the amount of cuts and inserts and glitches tells an active story of someone solving a puzzle and it has a shape to it. It becomes more intense and builds to an "aha!" ... the fleeting cuts mimic the way our eyes work when looking quickly for information. Here you have style which is not only germane to the subject matter but mirrors the narrative and internal state of the character.

in the opening we start on a watch which comes in and out of focus. Great. the character is disoriented, out of sorts. That's story. That's necessary information. That pulls me into the world of the film by giving me new or necessary information, rather than pushing me out by highlighting the story telling apparatus. Then the whole screen flips and blips, not sure why exactly at this point. Ok maybe someone is watching him and the surveillance gear is buggy. Got it. Then we see what he sees in the paper ... words pop out with sound effects. Great. NEW information and we are seeing it through his eyes as he would see it. This guy sees messages in the newspaper. Cool. Then we get a series of shots of the watchers and they are all blippy and glippy again. Ok Got it. There is a surveillance or some kind of motif going on. Not new information. And not sure how this is tied to his perspective. We saw him as blippy and glippy ... but does he see others as blippy and glippy, or are they all being watched? Because it is less clear and we have already seen it, it feels like style for style's sake. To be clearer this time - not EVERYTHING - just the blippy glippy surveillance shots that go on past us getting the idea that there is some kind of surveillance going on here. Similarly, if the scene made it's point in dialogue and then wet on to explain itself further, it would be dialogue for dialogue's sake. Wouldn't mean that the dialogue was bad, or that I didn't buy the dialogue as a whole throughout the movie, only that it was no longer serving the story or moving things forward, but that it just was there for the sake of being there.

Also whose perspective is it, what's the point of view? The watch and the deciphering scenes and the words appearing in the newspaper are all clearly HIS point of view. When he sees the spies and it's glitchy, that makes sense. But when we see an objective wide shot of him and that's also glitchy ... then again what's the point of view ... who's point of view is it? How are we being positioned as an audience to ge into this world. Especially effective point of view in the deciphering scenes because he is pretty frantic and so is the style. At the top, the glitches when he is looking at others do not seem connected to him. If they are not meant to be and we are meant to be seeing him from the perspective of the spies as we do at the end in the great panning shot with all of the radio noise etc. Then why is it also glitchy when we are shown what he sees?

I don't think the style sux, I don't not buy it. I think it is GREAT when its really used as a window into the character's psyche. When it's not doing that, I think it is sort of OK and pushes me out because I notice it rather than having it draw me into the story.

I think the piece makes extremely sophisticated use of style and ok use of style and there is reason to my rhyme. Am I right? Maybe not. But it doesn't boil down to you either buy the style or you don't for me. That implies that the filmmaker is just laying it on because it's cool and maybe it works and maybe it doesn't. Hopefully it is actually being thought about in service of a story. If so, then it's worth questioning and looking at the highly successful moments and the just OK moments.

Thanks.

Hootzie
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I thought it was Woodward....looked super familiar..heheh. Yeah, the cast and crew of Son of Bond and Sleeper are in Fresburg! Would love to get together and talk some movie ideas in the future!

jojopop
06-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, Keystoned, thanks for the essay. I'm glad the film stirred up some kind of discussion!

Regarding the style -- As the filmmaker, I can try to justify it with what my intentions were... for the most part you nailed exactly what I was going for. I was trying to make a conscious decision not to inject too much of the surveillance style... personally, I think it works, but I'm biased.

The idea was to place the viewer in his state of paranoia -- mostly we have his point of view and the way he sees the world: twisted, scared. This changes in the apartment because he feels safer, more secure, hence no crazy style when he looks outside the window. Plus that's way too much style for a 6 min short.

When he takes off running (park & after alley) I tried to throw in elements of scan lines, in an effort to distinguish between his point of view and when he thinks the "watchers," are watching. I tried to make it subtle, but went all out with the ending (the real "watchers"). It may not have been apparent enough but win some, lose some.

But, hey, thanks for the props and the great discussion -- I'm glad you enjoyed the film!

jamesh
06-06-2007, 04:16 PM
This is one of the films which i thought the story was actually better than how it looked. It reminded me a bit of Pi which is one of my favourite movies. The paranoia felt quite real and made the film felt quite tense thoughout.

I wasn't keen on the way it was filmed though. It was very dark throughout and sometimes hard to distinguish what was going on. Also the scene in the park looked a bit overexposed to me.

Good entry though, well done.

Darkline
06-07-2007, 04:39 AM
This was great.

It could actually be my favourite if it wasnt for me feeling a little confused at the end. Although he mis-interpreted the message it wasnt clear to me how this new message would have helped any. It seemed the same thing to me - maybe im missing something.

However - this has real character. I was drawn in. The style was very atmospheric and didnt feel like style for style's sake.

In a short film I often look for the way a director constructs his material and you hit it perfect here. Out of all of the ones I have sene so far I'd say this had the most stylisitc vision that felt intergal to the story.

Sure it was too dark at the end. But I cant fault a director through lack of a few lights! Theres a lot of people making films on limited resources and you can forgive that if the construction/atmosphere and style is professional - here it was. well done.

Michael_Petro
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
man thanks now I'm all paranoid and stuff... i swear theres a dude outside my house ... wait thats a dog in my trash....

was this the best looking film? nope.. BUT it was very effective in that I felt for this guy i was even sad when he pulled the trigger.. so it was a good film.. so there :)

Shawn Philip Nelson
06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
uhm, okay dude, I'm lost here. I have no idea what the story is about. It looked cool, sound quality was good. I dig the idea of spy messages in spam, but you lost me on the plot.

AmyO
06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Nice film. Kept me engaged the whole time, and was shot well. I may steal your ideas for the computer screen graphics. Very nice. I hope a DVD is made of the fest because I feel some of your darker scenes were victims of compression and the detail didn't come out as well. I'd like to see this in a bigger size.

Good work. Hope to see you in the next fest. :)

jojopop
06-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try to address some plot issues you guys had:

Although he mis-interpreted the message it wasnt clear to me how this new message would have helped any. It seemed the same thing to me - maybe im missing something.

uhm, okay dude, I'm lost here. I have no idea what the story is about.
In the reality of this world, something/someone is watching our main character. However, he can't figure out who/what/why. Ultimately, he becomes so entrenched in this paranoia, he starts seeing things everywhere.

Everything depicted in the movie -- the "spies" in the park, the messages from the email -- are what he perceives and wants to see. In reality there is no hidden message in his spam/newspapers. He sees what he wants to. Therefore, the message at the very end is him creating a message to fit the situation he's in.

The "watchers are out there" was meant to say that they're near, watching again, whereas the "watchers are here" is meant to imply that the watchers are here now and are ready to make their move.

Well, I hope that clears things up a little. Thanks again for the kind words!

kurtmo
06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Nice edit, great camera angles and sweeeeet fx.

I was creeped out by the paranoia feel. Since that was what you were going for, pat yourself on the back!

Beat Takeshi
06-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I liked the look of this and liked the static stuff. What did you use for that?
I did get a little bored with the VO and it seemed to move slow till the time where the guy tries to rob him. That scene was well done I thought, well from there on in it kept me more engaged. I didn't think the message meant anything really that different because he couldn't really do anything it seemed. I liked the messages on the news paper and would have liked to have seen how he deciphers it. All the shots were well done and I liked the CC also.

Karl151k
06-09-2007, 05:36 PM
This one had a really nice visual style to it. I liked the "Meet in park" shot. Also, the hiding of the correspondence in various forms was very well done and showed a lot of foresight in the production design. It reminded me of a Beautiful Mind a tiny bit, but that's not such a bad thing. Also, the practical effect with the gunshot was good as well.

There was a weird part of the movie that bothered me a little. Around 1:40, a character exits frame and then the camera zooms in on the blank brick wall. What was the point of letting that shot linger so long after the character had left? As others have mentioned, the narration got on my nerves after a few minutes. There must be more effective ways to get the plot moving. Lighting-wise, there always seemed to be ample rim lighting but never enough fill. Hence, a lot of the characters were well defined against the background, but I couldn't see their faces well enough.

Over all, I think this is a good movie and I'll watch it again when I'm not so jaded from having watched 35 other spy movies. Thanks for contributing to the fest!

Norm Sanders
06-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Visually, a pretty cool film! Some great post/editing work as well. However, it took a long time for the story to make any sense, or for me to care about it. While I liked the reveal twist at the end, I'm not confident it was strong enough to make up for the previous 4-5 minutes of the film where I was struggling to know or care about what was going on? I wish I could give you some ideas of things to fill in some of the in-between, to keep the viewer glued to every second that was going on, but I can't. Then again, I could be the only one that feels th way I do about the story. Anyway, this IS a cool concept, but also feels like it's been done (okay, ours and nearly EVERY other film is probably guilty of that as well, lol). I liked it, I really did ... especially visually. Just wish there was more BEFORE the ending that would have kept me riveted and/or drawn into it more until the final payoff.

jojopop
06-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks again for the comments guys! Here's a couple of points I wanted to address:

I liked the look of this and liked the static stuff. What did you use for that?

The static stuff was done with a combination of overlays in AE. A few layers of distorted images overlaid together over the original, mixed with scan lines slightly blurred.

Thanks for the compliments on the alley scene -- that one was a lot of fun to shoot. The messages were all in his head... they made sense to him during whatever situation he was in (at least that was what I was going for). Yeah, others have expressed dissatisfaction with those messages as well. :(

I was creeped out by the paranoia feel.
Awesome. :dankk2:

.. BUT it was very effective in that I felt for this guy i was even sad when he pulled the trigger..

Double awesome. If I got one person to feel bad for him there, I'm happy :)

Also, the practical effect with the gunshot was good as well.

Actually, there were no real practical effects in the film. The watch, the newspaper, the computer screen, the gunshot, blood splatter, all were vfx and generated in post. So glad you dig!

Thanks again all!

deedive
06-10-2007, 07:50 AM
really liked the look and feel. Really felt like i was in the main characters head.

Edgen
06-10-2007, 12:18 PM
My Thoughts:

I loved the look of this film and it gave me those creepy vibes I was looking for. I'm sure it's been mentioned many times already, but the end was just so dark it was hard to follow what was going on. Even full screen and a brightening the monitor didn't help too much.

VO.. it worked in some parts, and not so much in others. Music was great.. it set the tone of the film.

Looking forward to seeing your upcoming film.
Cheers!
/j

KenV
06-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Glad to know the music sounded good to you all. It means a lot. Can't wait to work with you again Lost Productions.