PDA

View Full Version : Understanding and Using P2 Filenames

Jason Ramsey
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Click Here to Read the Full Article (http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/P2-Name-article)

Drew Ott
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't have an HVX but I can see this as being a great help for the people that do. Thanks.

RE1000
05-25-2007, 04:50 AM
Does Final Cut Pro 6 support Type 2 metadata?

Look 1st
05-25-2007, 08:35 AM

Good question.

Very nice article Barry, thanks!

jpsheets
05-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Hmm,

I keep getting that message "version upgrade error". Followed the procedures to the letter. In fact, I reformatted the SD card and recopied the private folder just to make sure I did it correctly. Got my camera connected via AC power, so I'm not having any power interruption.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

JP

THoff
05-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Excellent article as usual.

I noticed the addition of the "TYPE 1 / TYPE 2" user clip name option in the previous (V2.03) firmware upgrade, but of course the release notes made no mention of what it did.

Now that I know how it works, I'll be using it going forward. I did some tests with Edius Broadcast V4.24, and this is exactly what I needed.

I have one suggestion for streamlining the updating of the user clip name in the camera as production moves from one scene to the next. I would create a series of metadata files, one for let's say "Scene 01 Take" through "Scene 20 Take", and name them to "MTDT01.P2" through "MTDT20.p2". That will make it relatively easy to find and load the appropriate metadata file as shooting progresses.

Edit: I've added an attachment with the metadata files for "Scene 01 Take " through "Scene 99 Take ", I hope this will save someone the time of creating them from scratch.

Barry_Green
05-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh, excellent -- that's brilliant. And I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of it before, but yes -- just pre-load the one card with all the filenames you'll need throughout the day. It only takes a second to swap the metadata file in.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

smelni
05-31-2007, 11:02 AM
barry - there you go again being extremely helpful and giving everyone information that they would like to have. when will the madness stop

Jeff Anderson
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Nice work THoff! I was thinking the same thing while I was reading the article and now I dont have to make the files! Thanks!

Jeff Anderson
05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
And thanks for writing this article too Barry - nice and easy to understand - ever think about writing a book - oh wait...

cbdv
06-02-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks Barry & THoff, great information as usual.

for_mlove
06-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Anyone able to answer this? I'll try to find some time to update my firmware and see what i can figure out.

THoff
06-03-2007, 01:27 PM
FCP doesn't need to do anything special, the magic happens in the camera itself -- that is where the different User Clip Name is generated.

If the User Clip Name is accessible in FCP (I can't test it, I'm one of those backward PC types), then it will work.

Barry_Green
06-03-2007, 09:36 PM
That's the question -- does FCP access that metadata? I think the answer's no, but I haven't used FCP6.

MikeDPLD
06-24-2007, 05:36 AM
THoff,
I'm VERY new at metadata. I'd like to create a customized set of metadata files
for my upcoming trip to the Galapagos Islands next week. What's the step-by-step for creating, copying and saving to SD card for HVX? I tried creating my own
in P2 Viewer, but Viewer won't work when my multi-format card reader (and SD card) are in USB port. I'm not experienced enough at computer stuff to easily
grasp the workflow that you've mastered long ago.
My basic metadata file is simply: "Galapagos Doc Shot" and I'm trying to create
a huge number of files that will simply work sequentially for each shot. No scenes and takes. Just shots. Please help this clueless metadata newbie...Thanks in advance for your expertise...

blckhawk542
06-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Barry. this article was suchhhh a helper. I've always wondered how I could organize the names of the P2 files, and now I know. Such a help!

thanks!!

mvb
06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
That's the question -- does FCP access that metadata? I think the answer's no, but I haven't used FCP6.

Raylight for Mac now allows you to read the metadata (as well as edit directly from the MXF files) from within FCP.

Also the User Clip Naming feature is now implemented for FCP users, if you use Raylight instead of Log and Capture. In addition to that Raylight also uses the Program Name item to group clips by movie, news story, or scene, etc.

If anyone has any interesting suggestions on how the metadata could be used to better organize clips, or otherwise improve or speed up the editing process, please send them to me or post it here.

blckhawk542
06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Is this option available yet in Raylight for Windows?

THoff
06-24-2007, 08:01 PM
THoff,
I'm VERY new at metadata. I'd like to create a customized set of metadata files
for my upcoming trip to the Galapagos Islands next week. What's the step-by-step for creating, copying and saving to SD card for HVX? I tried creating my own
in P2 Viewer, but Viewer won't work when my multi-format card reader (and SD card) are in USB port. I'm not experienced enough at computer stuff to easily
grasp the workflow that you've mastered long ago.
My basic metadata file is simply: "Galapagos Doc Shot" and I'm trying to create
a huge number of files that will simply work sequentially for each shot. No scenes and takes. Just shots. Please help this clueless metadata newbie...Thanks in advance for your expertise...Answered elsewhere:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=982939&postcount=2

mvb
06-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Is this option available yet in Raylight for Windows?

No, not yet.

smelni
07-08-2007, 07:58 PM
can you create more then 100 files and still have this work so you can create them for scene and shot?

THoff
07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Yes, but you can only have 100 metadata files on the SD card at a time, because only two digits are available for naming them.

So if you need more than 100 scenes, you'll have to create a separate set of metadata files and switch to the second (or third set etc.) as production moves along.

smelni
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
hmmm - there must be some clever way to use this system to record scene, shot and take in the clip label - now that would be the holy grail cause the scripty would note the good take and that would correspond to a file without using a timecode

jpsheets
10-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Excellent article as usual.

I noticed the addition of the "TYPE 1 / TYPE 2" user clip name option in the previous (V2.03) firmware upgrade, but of course the release notes made no mention of what it did.

Now that I know how it works, I'll be using it going forward. I did some tests with Edius Broadcast V4.24, and this is exactly what I needed.

I have one suggestion for streamlining the updating of the user clip name in the camera as production moves from one scene to the next. I would create a series of metadata files, one for let's say "Scene 01 Take" through "Scene 20 Take", and name them to "MTDT01.P2" through "MTDT20.p2". That will make it relatively easy to find and load the appropriate metadata file as shooting progresses.

Edit: I've added an attachment with the metadata files for "Scene 01 Take " through "Scene 99 Take ", I hope this will save someone the time of creating them from scratch.

Hi THoff,

Thanks for creating this file. I can see it's going to be very useful. Question though, after I unzip the file, what should the file be saved as on the SD card? .txt file?

thanks in advance!

JP

THoff
10-13-2007, 08:27 PM
The ZIP file contains a bunch of files with a .P2 extension -- you have to keep the name. The files are in fact text files, but you can't change the extension to .TXT.

If you rename the files from the MDTxx.P2 pattern, the camera will not find them. If you need more than 100 metadata templates, I would carry a second SD card with the additional templates on them.

jpsheets
10-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Okay, makes sense - but are you loading the SD card into the camera with the zip file intact, don't you first have to extract the files?

My problem is that I can extract your file, but I'm running into errors when I try to save the extracted file list. Is this a process that needs to happen within P2 viewer?

thanks in advance!

JP

jpsheets
10-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Never mind, I was using Stuffit, and it uses a weird extraction process. So I got the file out and save to my SD card. I feel like a bit of an idiot, but hey, what's new?

thanks for the help!

JP

jpsheets
10-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Okay, last question I promise. Got the THoff's file(s) loaded on my SD card in a folder labled P2SD. I've got metadata turned on, but my HVX says file not found when I try to load the metadata. I know I'm missing an obvious but crucial step. But what the heck is it?

thanks in advance!

JP

THoff
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM
You placed the files into the PRIVATE/MEIGROUP/PAVCN/SBG/P2SD folder on your SD card, the metadata templates appear in the menu, you select one, try to load it and get an error message saying the file can't be found?

jpsheets
10-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Ah, interesting. What I did was create a completely separate folder for the P2SD.
I take it the folder needs to go into the same PRIVATE folder that was used for the upgrade? I didn't think I needed it anymore after I upgraded.

THoff
10-14-2007, 02:25 PM
It needs to go into the exact location that Barry mentioned in his article, and which I put in my previous message. That is the ONLY location that the camera will look in for those files.

On a different note, I would leave the firmware image on the SD card even after you have performed the upgrade. You never know when you'll work with another rented or borrowed camera, and the last thing you want is to be on location and find out that the camera hasn't been updated to support 16GB P2 cards.

Necronomicon Xmortis
01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Great info. But, does all this work for the PC version of Final Cut Pro 5 or 6 as well. I know there are some performance issues, as well as fille and data storage transfer issues that are not common to the MAC versions. Could anyone address these points based on their own experience? I am currently using Roxio's Media Creator 9, and it .. isss .. a good program .. I think .. but, most of the film schools use Final Cut in their academic courses as an editing tool. One issue that really bothers me and my crew, is that the video clips that are being edited for length, are for the most part just shortened as to the length of view on the screen, and are stored in their near entirety on the storage medium. Such as a DVD disk, or card or whatever. This makes for a very large amount of data to be manipulated and stored when it is not necessary. It can be a real problem on slower systems and limited storage media. I am wondering if Final Cut can address these issues better.

:dankk2:Necro