PDA

View Full Version : Spy Fest 2007 - Submission Info

Larry Rutledge
05-16-2007, 03:31 PM
We are happy to officially open the Spy Fest Film Submission.

As stated in the original rules, the deadline for this festival will be May 31, 2007. Unlike previous festivals, this is a very hard date. Once we hit Midnight California-time the submission form will be closed down. As a result we are making the upload process available early.

Eligibility Requirements:
The festival category is: Spy (Think James Bond)
The central character of all films must be named Rob or Robin
Submissions to Spy Fest 2007 can be shot on any camera.
All films must be in English or be subtitled in English.
Maximum length of submissions is 6 minutes including credits.
Delivered film must be formatted as 16:9 or 2.35:1 Anamorphic.
Delivered film must not exceed 50 MB.
Delivered film must be provided as an h.264 compressed file (either .mov or .mp4).
Film must be an "R" rating, or lower.
Filmmaker must have proper copyright clearance for all material contained in the entry.
Films must be made between February 1, 2007 and May 30, 2007 and must not be publicly screened prior to entry.
Films must not have been promoted anywhere, other than DVXUser, prior to completion of festival screening.
Entrants must grant DVXuser.com and its agents non-exclusive rights for their films to appear on a potential Spy-Fest DVD or for DVXuser-sanctioned public screenings.
Films may be entered in other festivals, as long as it doesn't screen prior to May 31, 2007.How To Submit
Create a ZIP archive named as follows: <DVXuser_name>_<film_name>.zip (e.g. LarryR_SpyFilm.zip).
ZIP Archive must contain:
Entry (h.264, 50MB or less, .mov or .mp4)
Film Poster - preferably a PNG or JPG file
Screen Grab that best identifies your film - also PNG or JPG
Point your browser to: http://www.dvxfest.com/spyfest
Use the form to select and upload the film file.(Note: There is no need to submit an MPEG DVD version of the film at this time. When we are ready to start work on the DVD we will make arrangements to receive the expanded films)

Other Info
All submitted films will undergo review by the DVX Festival board for adherence to the posted rules.
Any films not in 100% compliance will be rejected and the filmmaker will be notified.
Rejected films will be allowed the opportunity to re-submit a revised film that meets the requirements up to the posted deadline.Any further questions or comments, please contact myself (Larry R (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/private.php?do=newpm&u=501)) or Barry (Barry_S (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/private.php?do=newpm&u=913)).

Thanks,
Larry

Edgen
05-16-2007, 10:33 PM
... and it begins. :)

Ted Arabian
05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Larry! Barry S! Sounds good!!!

You state that you must attach a poster and a screen grab. This seems new to me. Are there any guidlines on the size of the poster? What about the screen grab size? I am sure that you can reduce it to what size you need but if we can save you a step I am sure that you wouldn't mind!

Finally, It seems that there is no size restriction of the film except for the file size. Is that correct? I know that in Horrorfest, we had a screen size limitation.

Thanks again! Good luck to you guys with all of this. I know that it is a chore. A worthwhile and appreciated chore!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
What's a good 16:9 resolution to keep the file under 50MB?

Also, I may need some help creating a zip file. :huh:

Thanks,

Mike

Larry Rutledge
05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
You state that you must attach a poster and a screen grab. This seems new to me. Yes, this is new. I want to dress up the film selection/download pages and part of that is using these images.

Are there any guidlines on the size of the poster? What about the screen grab size? I am sure that you can reduce it to what size you need but if we can save you a step I am sure that you wouldn't mind! The "poster" should be the image that most have created for their initial post in their individual thread. No restriction on size, but try to keep it reasonable.

The screen grab can just be the default DV image size. It may be used in a couple places (still working this out), so we'll handle resizing on our end (it will be automated by the system I'm building).

Thanks for looking out for us though :dankk2:

Finally, It seems that there is no size restriction of the film except for the file size. Is that correct? I know that in Horrorfest, we had a screen size limitation. Nope, no restriction on resolution as long as it fits within the 50MB limit.

Thanks again! Good luck to you guys with all of this. I know that it is a chore. A worthwhile and appreciated chore! You are very welcome...watching all the entries makes the work worthwhile. :thumbsup:

What's a good 16:9 resolution to keep the file under 50MB? I'll leave this for those more experienced with compression to answer.

Also, I may need some help creating a zip file. :huh: There are several utilities available online for creating ZIP files both for PC and MAC machines.

If, when you are ready to submit your film, you are still having trouble just let me know and we'll work something out.

Jason Ramsey
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Good work, Larry. Thanks.

Jason

Michael Anthony Horrigan
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I can get a .wmv that small and still have it look good. When I use H.264 it washes out the image and the detail.

Any ideas?

Mike

Larry Rutledge
05-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Please respond to Kyser's question here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=97667

Thanks,
Larry

Ted Arabian
05-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks Larry!!!

Larry Rutledge
05-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Just want to push this back to the top...make sure everyone sees it since it contains important information regarding submitting your entry :)

tmnt
05-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Larry, regarding rule 2 (character name must be Rob or Robin); I saw in the official rules thread that you could use Bobby, Robert etc. I've used Bobby and wanted to be certain I could use that.

Larry Rutledge
05-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes, that's fine.

kurtmo
05-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Never been in a fest before and hoping to get a chance to vote-n-such. Soooo, how does that part work? Will it be just a single vote for best flick or will there be multiple categories?

Personally, I'm hoping there's something like "Best use of an obvious toy firearm on moving public transportation disabling a main character to advance the plot" category.:)

aravance
05-23-2007, 02:39 AM
This is my first entry and I was just curious how stringent the time restraint is.

Like, would my film not be accepted if it was 6 minutes and 3 seconds?

Larry Rutledge
05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
kurtmo - We have tried a couple different voting methods, but I believe this time we'll use the same method as during DramaFest. You will PM the title of your favorite entry to Barry_S and he will tally them. However, this is just my assumption at this point as I haven't had an opportunity to discuss the voting process with Barry yet, so don't quote me on that yet.

In the past we have had multiple categories for voting, but with so many entries it become troublesome to get completed votes on all films by all voters. For now this is the easiest method...though we intend to create an online voting system, which will integrate into the delivery system I'm building now, to make the whole process easier for everyone.

aravance - Try your best to keep it to 6 minutes, or less...but no, we won't reject it for 3 seconds. But also, don't take advantage of that and try to squeeze more seconds out of us. If we start getting a rash of 6:10+ we'll have to start rejecting.

deedive
05-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Donít mean to be negative but...

1. The festival category is: Spy (Think James Bond)
I remember them saying it didnít have to be James bondish just have some sort of spying going on. surveillance etc. People where scared of a bunch of bad Austin powers remakes.

2.I was hoping we would go back to the older way of voting. In the spirit of film, I would like more feedback than "pick one". Also other people would like feedback other than the directors. I liked the other categories. Helped u see what people liked about it and didnít like about it. So u become a better filmmaker. "Pick one" feels like your doing it for prizes.

Why not have people vote (numerically) on a bunch of different categories, but at the end have to pick their favorite film. I havenít seen any prizes posted yet and I did this film for the feedback. PLEEEEAAASSSSEE, PLLLEEEAAASSEE help us get as much feedback as possible.

D

Larry Rutledge
05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
The line "The festival category is: Spy (Think James Bond)" is just a reprint of the original rule. The assumption is that everyone entering has gone through the earlier thread and determined if their entry qualifies or not (if you aren't sure, please PM myself or Barry_S and we'll let you know).

Regarding the voting...there are a variety of reasons why the process was "simplified" the way it was last time around. The principal reason is that the original voting ballot consisted of a lot of required values in a lot of categories for each film. When many of the fest were bringing in 60+ entries, that made it hard for people to vote for every entry....so many films were left unvoted which then didn't give them real accurate feedback anyway (the reason people wanted the categories to begin with).

We have been talking about building an online voting system that will allow us to re-introduce the various categories, but make it easy enough that people will still vote for most, if not all, the entries. But that won't be ready this go around as we are currently building the infrastructure for the upload/distribution system.

With all that said...as I mentioned previously, I haven't heard yet from Barry how we intend to handle voting this time. So don't put a lot of weight in how I said we'd be voting.

I'll try to get a definitive answer soon, but in the meantime keep polishing those entries and trust that we are trying to create the best over all experience we can.

Peace,
Larry

kurtmo
05-23-2007, 10:57 AM
I echo Deedive's plea. It'd be nice to get more feedback. I realize it's more work, but it seems like it would be worth. Then again it's easy for me to say, it's you who has the to fill in the "more work".

deedive
05-23-2007, 12:20 PM
i remember the guys in the still photogrphy section had a interesting way of voting. i dont know how difficult that was.

chris f
05-23-2007, 12:38 PM
what about a weighted "top 3" voting system like they use for MVP ballots and national rankings in sports? that way the winner doesn't have 284 votes and second place has 12, because if there is a clear cut winner then a film deserving of 2nd place might be lost on the bottom with all the other films that didn't get a vote

something like:

1st Place Vote = 5pts
2nd Place Vote = 2pts
3rd Place Vote = 1pt

kurtmo
05-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I like the top 3 voting idea. Doesn't sound like alot of overhead, but gives a little feedback on other films.

Matt Sconce
05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
YAY TOP THREE! That is a great idea!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
05-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I myself would rather have the entries judged by a small panel of those who have no entry in Spyfest.

No direct involvement, just a healthy interest in film and not "buddies" with any of the filmmakers.

Probably impossible though...

Either way, it will be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

I can't wait!

Mike

Larry Rutledge
05-23-2007, 02:05 PM
The impetus for creating the DVXfest in the first place was to get filmmakers out there actually making films. The idea was a contest by filmmakers, for filmmakers. So it only stands to reason that the filmmakers would be the ones to vote, rather than some obscure "panel".

This is not Sundance or Cannes, but something to encourage you to get out there and actually make a film. The contest/prizes are secondary to that goal.

So to that end, the voting will continue to be handled by the members of this site.

And, yes, it WILL be fun to see what everyone comes up with. I'm always surprised at the creativity of this group :thumbsup:

Beat Takeshi
05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah feed back is more important than anything.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
The impetus for creating the DVXfest in the first place was to get filmmakers out there actually making films. The idea was a contest by filmmakers, for filmmakers. So it only stands to reason that the filmmakers would be the ones to vote, rather than some obscure "panel".

This is not Sundance or Cannes, but something to encourage you to get out there and actually make a film. The contest/prizes are secondary to that goal.

So to that end, the voting will continue to be handled by the members of this site.

And, yes, it WILL be fun to see what everyone comes up with. I'm always surprised at the creativity of this group :thumbsup:
That makes perfect sense when you put it that way.

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers,

Mike

Keystoned
05-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi Larry,

Can you clarify, please:

I think 5/31 midnight means until basically 11:59: PM (plus one minute) on the 31st. So the night of the 31st the eve of the 1st.

BUT

5/31 midnight could also mean the end of the day on the 30th. Basically 11:59 PM (plus one minute) at end of the day on the 30th / the eve of the 31st.

I am planning on uploading a day early for safety, so I am not trying to wait till the last second but "midnight on such and such date" always make me nervous for a potential communication error.

Like I said, not planning on last minuting it, just need the clarification so I can use our time but play it safe as well.

Thanks Sir,

:beer:

Larry Rutledge
05-24-2007, 08:35 AM
As always, principally because there are still some manual processes in place (the whole system is completely coded yet) this is a semi-arbitrary date/time.

While we do intend to stop at the end of the day May 31, in reality you could still upload until around 8-ish PST/PDT (whatever it is now) on June 1st. That's when I get into the office and have a chance to turn off the upload script.

I understand the confusion, and in the future there will be a countdown timer on the page to give clear indication as to the amount of time remaining.

Keystoned
05-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah I plan on NOT being in a position where a few hours makes the difference, but a day does. And I plan to upload a day early just in case.

But knowing that I have the day of the 31st, if I encounter some disaster or horrendously long render time on the 30th has answered my question. I am not even going to consider the hours between midnight and when you get into the office in the morning on the first. Pretending like you didn't say that:)

I just locked my cut today but I am working with a sound mixer in another state and composers in another country and I was getting nervous about getting all the elements together.

In the absence of a fancy countdown timer maybe the rules could just say 11:59-ish PM on 31st :laugh:

Thanks Larry. You are in the "thanks" section of my credits ... but you have to read fast since I can't stand long credits on a short film. :beer:

chris f
05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
how strict is the 6minute rule? would 6:03 be ok?

Larry Rutledge
05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
At the risk of people pushing the boundary to further and further limits, I will allow up to 5 seconds over the 6 minute mark. Anything more than 6 minutes and the film WILL BE rejected (though you'll be given an opportunity to trim and re-submit).

So, the answer is "Yes, 6:03 would be ok". But I had to answer the long way in order to make it clear that we won't tolerate people pushing one second more and one second more until suddenly we are at 8 or 10 minutes ;)

chris f
05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
thanks!

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2007, 06:00 PM
if you win or place you will wish you had cut your film to 6:00
because everyone will complain about it
people have cut 12 minutes down to six.
If you can cut 1 frame out of 72 cuts or something I highly recommend it.
I would not have my film run even a few frames over 6:00 if it was at all possible.
maybe this fest will be more relaxed ... but maybe not.

6:00 is really already supposed to be a "grace minute" on 5:00

Good luck.

EDIT: I remember from your thread now that you have already cut your baby in half. But again, if you can grit through those last three seconds I recommend it.

Ben Sliker
05-28-2007, 07:36 PM
At the risk of people pushing the boundary to further and further limits, I will allow up to 5 seconds over the 6 minute mark. Anything more than 6 minutes and the film WILL BE rejected (though you'll be given an opportunity to trim and re-submit).

So, the answer is "Yes, 6:03 would be ok". But I had to answer the long way in order to make it clear that we won't tolerate people pushing one second more and one second more until suddenly we are at 8 or 10 minutes ;)

I don't understand this at all.

First you say that 6:05 is okay, then you say it will get rejected, and then you say it's okay. Which is it?

We're sitting at 5:59:22, so it's not going to effect my edit, that's for sure, that just confused the hell out of me.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2007, 07:40 PM
He says the limit is six minutes and you have 5 grace seconds.

6 minutes is the limit

They won't DQ you if you run over slightly by up to 5 seconds.

He makes the point of saying THE LIMIT IS SIX MINUTES ...

... so that by the time people get to 6:05 and 1 frame there is a clear, "now you're taking advantage of our leniency" point. :)

Hope that's clear :beer:

So they will let people in up to 6:05.

But if any film that does well is over 6:00 there is going to be a stink, not from the festival runners but from the goers and participants, I guarantee it. Someone will be confused like you just were, or will say that the 5 grace seconds were not posted in the official rule list and if they had known about them they would have used them too, and it's not fair for so and so to have that extra time ... Larry is being too nice.

Also hope no one uses those 5 seconds for credits or is having trouble getting under 6 minutes due to credits. Put those in your thread or have em blaze by in a second. People can pause them to see the names if they want.

Ben Sliker
05-28-2007, 07:48 PM
:beer: Thanks JDS.

Jack Daniel Stanley
05-28-2007, 07:53 PM
No prob, looking forward to your entry man.

Coffee and guns.

A lethal combination :laugh:

Larry Rutledge
05-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry...that was a typo...it was supposed to say "... Anything more than 6:05 minutes and the film WILL BE rejected ... ", though I think the intent is clear enough from the text. But hopefully this clears it up.

Thanks for the clarification you posted JDS...actually makes my point better than this "clarification" :thumbsup:

Understand...this "grace" thing is primarily to allow for problems in compression. Assuming your film comes in at 6:00 precisely, but after compressing to the required h.264 it opens up in Quicktime and reads 6:03 from some unknown reason...this "grace" will allow for it. As JDS has said, I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you do everything in your power to make your film within the 6:00 minutes. It IS possible!

And, for sure, DON'T use the "grace" seconds to fit in your credits. People will really complain if you do AND you win (as JDS has so clearly stated) :)

chris f
05-28-2007, 10:42 PM
no worries, i found a shot that i've decided to cut out of the film so i should be a few seconds under. good advice on not being the exception to the rule, i didn't think of it that way, but it makes sense.

tmnt
05-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Where do I upload my zip file?

Larry Rutledge
05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
The opening post gives the info, please read it to make sure you have everything included (I mention this because we changed what is to be contained in the ZIP from previous fests).

Once you have the ZIp with the correct files contained within, here's the link:

Point your browser to: http://www.dvxfest.com/spyfest

Thanks,
Larry

tmnt
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Ah thanks Larry, sorry.

bosindy
05-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Since this is my first festival, I was wondering how many days after the deadline until the viewing begins?

PDX_DVX
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I noticed on the submission form that it asks for a Logline and a synopsis....I am under the impression that those two things are the same, right? Or by logline, do you mean a short one-liner, more like a tagline?

chris f
05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
do you have to have a poster? or is it just a "if you have a poster submit it"

Barry_S
05-30-2007, 09:41 PM
A tagline is meaningless marketing hype-- "A bulletproof vest won't stop a heart from being broken."

A logline succinctly describes a film in one or two short sentences---"A former East German agent is called back from retirement for one last mission and must match wits with his former spymaster to foil a terrorist plot."

Please don't give us a tagline. If you can write a good logline, that should suffice for the synopsis as well.

Barry_S
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
do you have to have a poster? or is it just a "if you have a poster submit it"

Upload 'em if you got 'em. But, they're not required.

Ben Sliker
05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
thanks barry, i just went through like 10 cheesy loglines, i'm excited i dont have to use one.

chris f
05-30-2007, 09:55 PM
cool thanks, uploading now

Larry Rutledge
05-30-2007, 09:58 PM
yea, sorry, I should have been more clear. The "logline, synopsis, poster, frame grab" are all optional, however they will be utilized in a newly formatted download page which you'll see when the viewing begins this time.

I should have said "Tagline" / "Synopsis" since that is more representative of what I was after.

The viewing will begin as soon as all the films have been uploaded and verified by Barry and myself. We'll try to get it up this weekend, but don't hold us to that date. :)

chris f
05-30-2007, 11:15 PM
if the logline and synopsis are optional can you get rid of mine? i filled it out on the form because i thought it was required

Michael_Petro
05-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Uploaded and ready to roll:)

aFox
05-31-2007, 01:30 AM
"Delivered film must be formatted as 16:9 or 2.35:1 Anamorphic."

What abou subtitles, do they have to be on top of the picture, or can i submit a 4:3 file, with the subtitles in the black areas?

Larry Rutledge
05-31-2007, 05:12 AM
That's fine...as long as the film is 16:9 or 2.35:1

ripupthehwy
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Larry, I sent you a private message regarding my film uploading. Can you let me know if there is a problem with it?
Also I forgot to covert my still frames from the movie from Bitmaps to JPEG's. Should I re-upload?

Sorry

Rich Nation

Mike@AF
05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Working on encoding our SpyFest submission (SORRY) right now. It's 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Can we upload it in a 640x272 resolution without black bars? Or do we need to upload in 640x360 with black bars? Hope 640x272 is okay because that's what encoding right now.

Larry Rutledge
06-01-2007, 01:21 AM
No.. without bars is the preferred method... so you are good.