PDA

View Full Version : GLASSJAW - A Soul Studio 7 Production

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi everybody, i finally got a thread started to show what i've been working on.

I've been doing a great deal of preproduction since March and i tend to do everything
ass-backwards. So basically i composed the score, created posters, ordered the arsenal,
designed costumes, did a gazillion test shoots with both the nikon and HVX all the while
writing the script in my head. And then i remembered i actually had to make a movie!

I started shooting last week but still have 3 more locations to knock off and time is tickin,
im stressin, but having a blast all the while.

Man i wish we could show trailers here on dvxuser to promote our entries.
I wonder why we cant? Bandwith issues? Or maybe no second teaser trailers? Now THAT would be cool.

-Defcon

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/12452/1204158123.jpg

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/12452/1204158182.jpg

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey Defcon! Looks great! Very cool!

I will have those instructions up for you soon (on making that car mount that I did).

This looks good!

Best,

-Ted

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks Ted, as long as the HVX doesnt fall off the car mount... i gotta try it!

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I tell you... I was SO NERVOUS about putting my camera on it. But I know that I did EVERYTHING that I could to secure it.

I did drive around with just the rig before I placed my camera on, however... you just never know!

CeSu Pro
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
there going to be any music by "glassjaw" in this movie? heh, don't know if it'd fit, but good stuff. Anyways, cool posters, i'm intrigued.

cinealma
05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Looks tight! Looking forward to it!

Edgen
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
wew! Looking fantastic! Can't wait to check out your film so get crackin. :)

/j

Ben Sliker
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
defcon, thanks for all the somments over on the "refill" thread, you're project has phenomenal look to it already.

where'd you get all those wonderful toys? (guns)

Mark T. Aro
05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Looking good dude... can't wait!

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i've been following all of your productions for some time now
and i cant wait to watch everones movie come the 31st!

I didnt even know GLASSJAW was a music group? I'd better google them, thanks for the heads up on that!

Guns, guns, guns, i got lucky on that one. I found a site called speedytoys.com and i spent about $200 buying cool bb guns. They shipped the guns practically overnight (hence the title speedytoys) and many of them were nicely made. i painted the orange tips black and then sandpapered them so they didnt look too shiny.

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 12:25 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/12452/1204157847.jpg

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Here are some shots i got so far, but nothing too exciting, its from the teaser trailer i put together so that i could win over my actors and get them (somewhat) excited.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/12452/1204158157.jpg

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 12:38 PM
This poster is my retro exploitation flick poster, just for fun.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/12452/1204157919.jpg

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
OK heres some final stills with cc. I actually like the non-cc'ed stuff as well,
its clean and might work if that was the look i was going for. But GLASSJAW
is sort of a throwback to old Dirty Harry films mixed with a pinch of
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. So im giving GLASSJAW a gritty grainy look
so it looks like a print transfer to DVD. I was watching GOLDFINGER the
other day on DVD and it had such a cool dirty look! So thats where
my heads at with the cc.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/12452/1204157877.jpg

coreybb
05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
too bad we cant see the trailer! all the artwork and prepro really looks promising! You should post the trailer on youtube and provide the link. You are very talented.

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Corey there's no footage allowed to be screened prior to the contest date so i cant you-tube anything. But thanks for the encouragement. Lord knows i need it at this point.

tmnt
05-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Man this looks awesome!

You know this film better be good after that slick artwork, right?

JOE BLO
05-15-2007, 03:51 PM
The screen grabs look great. I like the gritty quality. Anxious to see this one.

Charli
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Love the poster and pics, also like your tag line, sweet.

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys for checking out the thread, im really just trying to have fun with this.
The tagline is so ridiculous, its supposed to be pulpy. I was going through old taglines from exploitation movies and man are they funny.

Michael_Petro
05-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys for checking out the thread, im really just trying to have fun with this.
The tagline is so ridiculous, its supposed to be pulpy. I was going through old taglines from exploitation movies and man are they funny.

Fun's where its at when i quit having fun I will do something else :beer:

Anyway it looks really cool...

Matt Harris
05-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Michael i just saw your thread (for some reason i hadnt seen yours yet): Girls, Guns and deep sea fishing. love it. 3 Reasons to be a filmmaker!

Michael_Petro
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Michael i just saw your thread (for some reason i hadnt seen yours yet): Girls, Guns and deep sea fishing. love it. 3 Reasons to be a filmmaker!

you are correct sir :)

Keystoned
05-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Wow. Nice looking grabs and an impressive command central (and arsenal).

Looking forward to this. The leading guy has a great look to from what I can tell about the character.

:beer:

bosindy
05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Somehow I missed this thread. These grabs look great, great use of color to fit a mood. Your lead looks like someone you wouldn't want to double cross. Look forward to your entry.

Matt Harris
05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks Bosindy. Youre in Cambridge MA? Im from Duxbury/Plymouth MA. I actually just got back to LA from a family reunion in Chatham, Cape Cod. I was stuck in rain for like 8 days!

bosindy
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
LOL, yeah that was a bad week, felt like early March. I am sure you don't miss the weather here. It is beautiful today though, makes you appreciate it.

Hootzie
05-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Love the dude with the shotgun shot!

jamesh
05-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Can't wait to see this.

Matt Harris
05-31-2007, 04:25 PM
im uploading soon, im sure i'll screw up my upload somehow though, im not very technically savvy, but i'm gonna make this deadline if its the last thing i do!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
I know what you mean! Good luck...

Can't wait to see it.

Mike

Norm Sanders
06-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Congrats on getting in, Defcon ... look forward to watching GLASSJAW. Love the banner, BTW.

Matt Harris
06-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Norm i thought you pulled out of this fest awhile back and was suprised because you've entered all the fests and... you placed high up in Dramafest right?
But now i see you did enter a film, im psyched to see it.

Keystoned
06-03-2007, 10:55 PM
This one looks HARDCORE. Can't wait to see the arsenal in action :thumbsup:

Matt Harris
06-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Congrats everyone whether you got your movie done in time or not. The bottomline is we're all filming, not talking about it, but doing it. Thats why i love this site, it kicks my ass into grabbing a camera and creating something. DVXuser is an invaluable community, i have learned so much from everyone here. The FESTS are a blast.
I only wish i entered more in the past. That being said, Its countdown time to film-viewing and i have a feeling i'll be blowing off my work on Monday to watch each one. Repeatedly.
Thanks everyone and good luck,
-Matt

Ted Arabian
06-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Excellent work. I really liked the gritty feel to this film. The camera work and editing really worked for me. Some may feel that it is too much (it crossed my mind) but I liked it. Really did. I wish that the "faux aging filter effect thing" was more realistic... it certainly could belong in this film. I liked what you did with this.

The story had some holes for me but I didn't care. I felt like I was watching a 6 minute segement of a feature film. That is important to me.

Incredible props! Wow. All of the firearms! yikes!

Great job. I'll be watching it again!

-Ted

wesley
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
lol cool entry felt more like a grindhouse film. was a bit too messy for me (editing, aging look and script). but still a fun entry. somehow i really liked the opening shot of the city that went from dark to light.

Hootzie
06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Great movie my friend. Told a story and all of the twists were unexpected but believable. Very successful.

chris f
06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Standard Disclaimer: I've watched half of the films so far and have yet to see a bad film. Congratulations to every film maker, everyone did a great job. All my comments and criticisms are meant to be constructive and helpful and in no way am I trying to take anything away from what you accomplished.

Good: I liked the Glassjaw character. I liked that you tried something different (fisheye shots, old film look, etc.)

Not as Good: The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that it seemed like the film couldn't make up it's mind whether it was a tough hitman scwhartzenager type film (the beginning and ending of the film) or a tarintino hitman who are real people and make weird/realistic little comments type film ("want a sandwich?", "Hey dude, I'm bangin' it", etc.)

Sidenote: Did anyone walk out into the hallway when you were filming Glassjaw walking with that huge gun? If I did on accident and didn't see the camera, I probably would have jumped out of the window and ran as far as I could, ha.

cinealma
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
City of Angels, baby! You know what really worked for this film was the soundtrack. And I use the term soundtrack instead of score in a good way! It really helped give the film a cool vibe.

The aged look I don't think you really needed.

If you're going to blow somebody away, the still splatter frame doesn't work for me. I wanted to see some fucked up people.

I liked all the nicknames. Awesome!

Candidate for best dialogue in fest:

"I'm bangin' that!"
"Impressive"

Good job. Thanks for screening.

jamesh
06-04-2007, 06:39 PM
I also reckon you could have done without the old dirty film effect, as to me it felt like you were trying to spoof an old 70's show, when it was actually better than that.

I laughed out loud at the 'i'm bangin that' line!

I like film starting at the end and showing you how he got to that point. I was kind of waiting for twist at the end and for Glassjaw to get killed because of his cocky ego in the voiceover but it was still entertaining. wicked array of weaponry, good acting, solid film.

Matt Harris
06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it and i totally agree with your points.

Bottomline: I knew noone was gonna like the grain filter!

I was in fact making a grindouse-ish flick inluenced by late 70's to early 80's stuff (like MADMAX, THIEF, DIRTY HARRY). Im a full on self admitted genre director and im just obsessed with movies that came out in 1981: Blade Runner, Road Warrior, Friday The 13th 2, Wrath Of Kahn, Outland, Empire Strikes Back, Escape From NY etc.

Using the aged film filter, to my eye, makes me feel like im a part of that early 80's genre. I should probably use it to a lesser degree though.

As for the music, i'm a huge fan of (suprise!) early 80's synthesizer scores like
John Carpenters Escape From New York or Terminator. I cant get enough of Vangelis or Tangerine Dream!

You'll be happy to know that...
I'll be doing a total re-edit, now that i have time, with CG blood, better cc, and complete ADR.

And i'll do a version with NO GRAIN, promise.

Excellent call with the tonal shift of the short, the gun dealer scene is rather tongue and cheek whereas the rest of it is more serious and hardcore. I will be completely
re-editing this scene with alternate takes, maybe i can get it to be more serious.

jamesh
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
No! don't take the dealer's lines out! I thought they added a bit of sparkle to the whole film, the humor works for me.

bosindy
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I liked your film man. Your lead has a gravitas about him. The film was very stylistic and very LA (in a good way) I would lighten up on the filter a slight amount. Congrats!

p.s. I watched it with someone and they really liked it too.

Mark Harris
06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
this film was awesome. The first one I've seen in this fest that looked fun to make. Maybe it was hell, but it looked like you guys were having the time of your lives and that came through in the final product. It was hilarious, and REALLY hit the Carpenter vibe. man, what a pleasure.

The grain was over the top, but Jesus people, the whole movie was over the top. The B-picture bad guys, the hard boiled V/O. The crazy grain and hair and stuff fit it all to a T.

Matt Harris
06-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks Mark, somebody gets it! We did have a blast, i mean this is supposed to be fun right? And yeah, with lines like "he was so nervous i could almost hear him sweating" and non-sensical stuff like "they never hear me coming, cause i was never there" we clearly were knee-deep in B-movie territory.

We definitely ran around LA with guns out, probably not the smartest move but... well we've all read THE DV REBELS GUIDE right? If you havent go get it, its awesome. It has a chapter with this dude running through a real crowd (not actors) and he's waving a gun thats the color of green screen. Later on, after they steal the shot in broad daylight, they color the green gun black in after effects. pretty cool.

Mark Harris
06-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Mark, somebody gets it! We did have a blast, i mean this is supposed to be fun right? And yeah, with lines like "he was so nervous i could almost hear him sweating" and non-sensical stuff like "they never hear me coming, cause i was never there" we clearly were knee-deep in B-movie territory.

We definitely ran around LA with guns out, probably not the smartest move but... well we've all read THE DV REBELS GUIDE right? If you havent go get it, its awesome. It has a chapter with this dude running through a real crowd (not actors) and he's waving a gun thats the color of green screen. Later on, after they steal the shot in broad daylight, they color the green gun black in after effects. pretty cool.

Yeah, I have that book and love it too. I am not a big EFX guy, but I've gotten a lot of good stuff out of that book for my films as well, particularly in the CC section. And the forum for the book is cool too. I've gotten some GREAT AE advice over there.

Charli
06-05-2007, 10:41 AM
This film was more about body count than content.

Matt Harris
06-05-2007, 02:18 PM
harsh. theres plenty of content alright, i guess not what you'd prefer.

Mike Insane
06-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I have to say I loved the grain. i think it distracted the eye from things that would have given away the peice as a lower budget film. I'd rather people be talking about how you didn't need the grain than how it could hae been better. The dialogue was great! The story moved and the characters were interesting. No 2D characters, they all seemed to have some sort of back story even though the film was brief... great job! I'd love to see more.

http://www.dvxfest.com/spyfest/loader.php?id=27648

Matt Harris
06-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks Mike. Be careful what you wish for, we're in preproduction to shoot a 90 minute full length feature to be completed by Spring 2008. Im currently looking for a DP (with an HVX so we can go multiple camera) in the LA area to collbo so PM me if anyone's interested.

gabrielflorit
06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
The best part of this was the cinematography. I love the wide angle shots, it really adds to the feel, makes this short work. I also enjoyed the CC and film grit effect, although it was overdone a bit. All the location changes were also fun, lots of production value. I do think you should have tried more CU's. We can barely see their eyes, most of the time the shots are very wide, which works for action but not for the viewer to empathize with the characters or their motives.

This was pure fun. I like that everyone gets killed. Even the cute chick. Very unpredictable, which is good.

Matt Harris
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
So true, gabriel, i should have unscrewed the wide angle adapter and gotten some close ups. Good call.

RebeccaD
06-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Matt, nice job on your film. I thought the camera work was good and I especially liked the wide angles you used. It really worked with the setting. I thought the actors were mostly believable. At times I felt like I was peaking in at some peoples' lives, rather than a movie, so that shows a job well done in my book! I had a little bit of a hard time hearing the excessive smoker guy, but that is minor. I understand this is your first entry? If so, wow! I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Matt Harris
06-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks Rebecca, its a bit rough around the edges but i had to upload to make the deadline. I'll be doing proper ADR, the villain (a good friend of mine) is a pack-a-day type guy with a raspy voice!

aFox
06-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Didn't like the story too much, but great style (reminded me of grindhouse) and actors.

Steve_Arm
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I felt like you had something to say but didn't fit the time, it came out to me a bit confusing. It had its funny scenes, nice - and when he walks out with the dog great though!

Matt Harris
06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
I dont disagree. It was my first time writing and directing and i over wrote the whole thing. The short came to 9 minutes. So in order to cut it down to 6... well just say it was a challenge to retain the storyline. I had to cut a few things out and move some of the VO around.

The non deadlined/non time constrained cut im working on right now breathes a little better and seems to be working smoother. I'll be posting the revise next week. Thanks for watching and commenting.

deedive
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I dont disagree. It was my first time writing and directing and i over wrote the whole thing. The short came to 9 minutes. So in order to cut it down to 6... well just say it was a challenge to retain the storyline. I had to cut a few things out and move some of the VO around.

i know what you mean, my first cut was 9 minutes. Your film is like your baby. then they tell u to cut off your baby's legs cuz it need to be shorter, lol

I enjoyed your film, thought the editing played very well with the music. I think i liked the editing the most. And the way glassjaw inhale at 2:45:) only thing that got to me was the gunshot with no blood or holes.

also love the banner and graphic work.

Michael_Petro
06-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Mat that was fun fun fun... just really like how it played out.... fun to watch a couple of times even :beer: make more ..

Aaron Marshall
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Great job on the film. The violence was nicely captured. I felt like glassjaw was a real bad ass.

The music worked well, but take out some of the percussive booms that come in so many times. It loses its impact after a while. It accents some scenes that aren't that important. Go through, prioritize, and take out some of those hits. The score will be 10x better.

AmyO
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Nice work. Well put together, although I think the old film effect filter came on a bit strong. I agree with the look, but the lines and dust specks seemed a bit dark and heavy to me. The dialogue could be bumped up a few decibels too.

I loved that Glassjaw is this big bad-ass, yet he takes the dog at the end. OMG! Too fun! I love a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, and putting that little bit in cinched it for me.

RebeccaD
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I loved the little dog scene at the end too! So hilariious. Nice job.

Keystoned
06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
This one just oozed cool.

I had high expectations with all the guns you showed us beforehand, and think you used the ordinance well in the short.

I was a bit confused by the lack of blood. Mostly because you had gone so whole hogg with the production value of the guns etc. that when you showed these guys again and didn't even put some ketchup on their chest it really just blew any suspension of disbelief for me at all.

But I really thought it was fun and dug the style and it was cool to watch.

You may be on to something with that leading guy. But leading guys never have beards like that ... least not that I can think of. His face also looks more heroic when you shot from slightly low angles. But anyway I think he has presence and you should keep working with that dude.

Titles and all was super duper slick and well done.

Looking forward to your next flick.

Geoff_R
06-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Deep down, Glassjaw is a good guy with a big heart. I can tell by the way he carried the little dog in the end. Nice :)

Beat Takeshi
06-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I really liked the old film effect, it fit with the editing and the music. I thought the splash of blood frames were effective but it through it off when you didn't see any blood on the people. Tell them to stop being pussies and get dirty! The lead was good but the friends didn't fare so well in the acting dept. I couldn't really tell with the guy who gets it at the end. The editing was really well done. There have been a few flicks in these fests through out the years that tried the same thing but I think you really nailed it. I love the color in the shots where hes getting guns. Well done.

Shawn Philip Nelson
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Good acting! I liked the gritty feel. The film filter effect was too much.

But the blood, where oh where were the wounds? It just killed the movie for me to have them wasted at point blank range and there's no blood.

Norm Sanders
06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Visually, this film works ... HARD!!! It's also got some good sound design throughout, as well as good/appropriate score. Loved some of the dialogue (some GREAT whit), but felt at times folks were getting killed just for the sake of getting killed (edit, when I wrote this several days back I didn't know this was really trying to copy the grindhouse era - as I never really watched those films, so I'm guessing that killing folks just to kill 'em is spot-on perfect!).

LOVED the camera style, movement, and editing throughout ... absolute top notch & pro style to it!!

The only part where I was going 'Come on!' was the guy blown away with the shotgun on the couch .... didn't see a spot of blood on him, yet he was just blasted with a shot gun at close range? Oh, and I've NEVER seen a shotgun with a laser on it. You don't aim shotguns (like pistols/rifles, which benefit from lasers), but instead simply point them in the area you're wanting to disintigrate.

Love the fact that this character could be part of something much larger ... an ongoing character, bigger than the story/event itself. Great job on that. Serious contender, in my book.

Matt Harris
06-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I know, i blew it on the blood. I just didnt have enough time to do the cg blood i intended. Had i planned ahead better i would have had my actors worn bloody clothes on the edit but... the deadline was too tight. I was literally shooting this thing up to the deadline. Im lucky to have submitted the cut that i pulled off. no excuses though. I simply couldnt get the blood done in time!

Thank you everyone for watching. Im glad some of you enjoyed it and i promise on the next fest, i dont care if its romantic comedyfest, i will be pouring pig intestines on all my actors! (Thats whats they used for blood in Day Of The Dead).

Edgen
06-10-2007, 11:33 AM
My Thoughts:

Wowa.. lot of guns. I think having access to all those guns was the main part of the story. That whole scene could have been wrapped up much quicker. The grains and quick handheld cuts gave made me upset, Much like once apon a time in mexico. Dizzy. Very stylized film.

I LOVE that the character walks away with the dog.

HUGE kudos to a one man army too. Score, editor, director. You've got some talent my man.

cheers,
/j