PDA

View Full Version : VFX help wanted

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Hello. I have posted this in the VFX thread but I know that a lot of VFX artists are hanging out here as well....

I would like a VFX in my SpyFest entry...

Anyone know how I can pull off the "pulsar of colored light" as in the Verizon FiOS commercial?

Here is a grab from that commercial...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/20191/1179238217.jpg

If you don't know what I am talking about and would like to help me... the commercial can be seen on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhufnXTQ4rc

The effect starts at 00:46

Really appreciate it if someone can guide me on how to do this or volunteer to do it for me.

Thanks!

-Ted

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Hmmm.... I just started watching a tutorial on the software, MOTION. I have that but have never opened it up. I guess I'll try playing with that UNLESS someone tells me that it sucks or that it is too hard to learn. :)

AmyO
05-15-2007, 08:59 AM
I found Motion pretty easy to pick up. I spent an afternoon going through the tutorial just to familiarize myself with how all the controls worked. I think you might be able to find a particle effects filter that looks like that. You might have to create a matte over the actor if it isn't a greenscreen shot. I mostly use Motion for titles, so I'm not as familiar with the particles system as I'd like to be.

Dahopafilms
05-15-2007, 09:07 AM
er ... Ted?

Sci-Fest was a few festivals back ... :laugh:

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 09:09 AM
er ... Ted?

Sci-Fest was a few festivals back ... :laugh:
I know! I missed out so I am doing it now!!! :)

AmyO, thanks! I am just learning how incredible this program is!!! I can't believe that I have never used it.

Thanks!

Mark T. Aro
05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Hello. I have posted this in the VFX thread but I know that a lot of VFX artists are hanging out here as well....

I would like a VFX in my SpyFest entry...

Anyone know how I can pull off the "pulsar of colored light" as in the Verizon FiOS commercial?

Here is a grab from that commercial...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/20191/1179238217.jpg

If you don't know what I am talking about and would like to help me... the commercial can be seen on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhufnXTQ4rc

The effect starts at 00:46

Really appreciate it if someone can guide me on how to do this or volunteer to do it for me.

Thanks!

-Ted

Dude! I wish I could help... but I am just SOOOOO SWAMPED right now. However, it is a fairly easy effect to pull off. A down and dirty HOW TO can be seen below. If you were doing this commercial in Combustion you might approach it this way (this tutorial is not specific to Combustion, but that is my primary platform):

- CREATE A LAYER WITH JUST THE GUY - create a copy of this footage in a second layer and rotoscope your guy. You want to create a mask of just him in front of the doors. This part is the most tedious, but it is not real difficult. In Combustion you can do an animated Mask and if you put a feathered edge on it, you can get away with a lot. In other programs you may need to render a mask and add a blur to the mask for the feather effect. The idea is that you want to be able to dial up or dial down the feather effect later. Normally I like to keep my masks real clean and not have a feathered edge, but since there is a light source on the other side of this guy, the feather will actually lend to the whole look and it will come in handy later on.

- CREATE AN OBJECT TO APPLY THE EFFECT TO - once that is done you should have two layers, one with the guy and the truck and on top of that, one with just the guy. Hide the top layer with just the guy. Then in the layer on the bottom (the one that has the guy and the truck) you will want to create a vector paint object that will encompass the area of the back of the van as the doors open. So when the doors open you will see a solid object that will increase in size as the doors open so basically it will look like this is a big hole (solid color) in the back of the truck. This is where your effect will happen. This will look kind of funny because you will be covering up your guy and his legs and possibly other bits of him will be showing at the edges of the shape. This is okay because your top layer will have your guy and it will go directly over the top. Also, for this effect, we will want the bottom layer to have bits of him NON FEATHERED... we will address that later on. NOTE: If you are using another software package you may have to do this different. You may have to create another layer between the top and the bottom to add your effects to, you may have to render a solid mask or something like that... the idea is to have a layer or object that animates open and close to mimic the opening of the door (the open area, not the door itself). You will also want to make sure that whatever method you use, allows you to bleed the effect outside of that masked off open area so it feel like light is bleeding/bursting out of the van.

- ADD EFFECTS TO BOTTOM LAYER AND PAINT OBJECT - this is where you just have to do what looks good. Combustion has all sorts of particle effects and I am sure I would use either a combination of preset particle effects (highly customized) or create my own. Point is... there is a lot to choose from and you should be able to get real close to the mark. You can use the paint object as a mask or apply the effect directly to it... a lot depends on whether you want to see anything that is in the back of the truck of whether or not you want it to be the big nebulas thing.

- ADD MORE EFFECTS - Once you have your nebulas thing happening I would top it off with some light rays which can be done various ways... with particles, blurred-slightly transparent footage layers with dolly blur or any number of ways.

NOTE: With the effects it is really something that you have to gage on taste. You will want dial up or dial down as per your taste and depending on the method that you use.

- FINAL TOUCHES - You should now have a layer with the effects coming out of the back of the van. Turn the top layer back on and you will now have your guy in front of the effect. Remember the mask that we did and the Edge Feather, well here is where you can dial that feather up or down because you will want the effect that is coming out of the van to bleed around the edges of the guy a little. Not to much though... use this sparingly or it will look like crap.

So you now have your scene with your guy in front of the van. It should look pretty good. Remember on Layer 1 where we left the guys legs sticking out and possibly the top of his head or his hands on the door, well these bits will show through to the top layer. What that means to you is that where his hand is touching the door or his legs and feet showing below, well these will be solid and not feather like the top layer. This will add to your effect and really push this guy into the scene instead of making him look like he is sitting on top of it. In contrast, the parts of him that are in front of the opening of the van will have a nice softened edge where the effect will look like it is spilling around him where in actuality it is just because the cutout of our guy will have a slightly transparent edge. Does this make sense.

- FINAL EFFECTS - To top it all off you will want to add a lens flare, which I would add to the bottom layer or possibly to the whole composite, you will have to see what looks best. You can be modest with this effect or go crazy, it is really based on taste. My feeling is that lens flares should be used sparingly and should be subtle, but it really depends on taste.

When all is said and done this should look pretty good. If you do it right with layers and particles, then you will be able to dial up and dial down the effects until you have a nice balance. If you are using After Effects or Digital Fusion, some of the approach might be a little different but it should be similar. When all is said and done these tools are just like photoshop except with motion.

This description is the DOWN and DIRTY version. If you were doing something more complex then you may want to deal with clean PLATES, camera tracking, motion tracking and all sorts of bells and whistles, but depending on the project that stuff may be overkill. it will depends on what the footage looks like and what you are shooting for in the end. You can also get a lot of mileage out of add-on plugins that you can use in many of these platforms. The ones that I like are the SAPPHIRE plugin series and various Trapcode plugins.

I hope that this has helped. If you tackle this yourself and you are using Combustion or AfterEffects, please feel free to PM me if you get stuck and need help.

Best of luck to you.

Mark A.:)

Mark T. Aro
05-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I know! I missed out so I am doing it now!!! :)

AmyO, thanks! I am just learning how incredible this program is!!! I can't believe that I have never used it.

Thanks!

Well it took me so long (due to multiple distractions at the day job) that I missed the whole Motion discussion. You could make the effect in Motion and then use it with a mask in AE or Combustion instead of using buiilt in plug-ins.

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
hahaha! Thanks SO MUCH Mark!!! Really! WOW! Such detailed information! You just don't know how much I appreciate you taking the time to write that!

I will digest that info and do what I can.

Thank you, thank you!

-Ted

Mark T. Aro
05-15-2007, 09:57 AM
hahaha! Thanks SO MUCH Mark!!! Really! WOW! Such detailed information! You just don't know how much I appreciate you taking the time to write that!

I will digest that info and do what I can.

Thank you, thank you!

-Ted

No problem dude... I wish I could do it for you.

If you go this direction, let me know if you get stuck or if something isn't real clear.

M

Ted Arabian
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks man! I just made a real quick practice attempt and it works! I am sure that IF I go this route and add a VFX, I'll get laughed at but hey... I am doing these projects to learn!

Thanks again! I may be sending you a PM with some more detailed info to get your input. I KNOW that you are busy and certainly don't expect you to spend any time that you don't have with me but if you can add 2 cents, I am finding it very helpful.

Thanks again!

-Ted

Mark T. Aro
05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks man! I just made a real quick practice attempt and it works! I am sure that IF I go this route and add a VFX, I'll get laughed at but hey... I am doing these projects to learn!

Thanks again! I may be sending you a PM with some more detailed info to get your input. I KNOW that you are busy and certainly don't expect you to spend any time that you don't have with me but if you can add 2 cents, I am finding it very helpful.

Thanks again!

-Ted

no worries... it is my pleasure!

I would be glad to answer any of your questions as well as guide you through the process. Feel free to contact me if you need anything and also if you need suggestions or comments during post. Sometimes problems may seem a little big but are easily solved.

m