PDA

View Full Version : photoshop cs 3 vs. cs3 extended

berniej
05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
would love to buy the latest photoshop but my question is:

i am using fcp 5.1 and would like to know whether to buy cs3 or cs3 estended.

there is a $500 price difference between the 2, and i seem to believe
that the $600 cs3 is more than enough, even though adobe says that for video,
tge extended is best.

what say my friends on this great forum?

many thanks

Tom Marshall
05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Well, what are you going to be using Photoshop for, specifically? And do you use After Effects at all? It seems to me that you can do a lot of the stuff that's added with After Effects.

berniej
05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
i do use aftereffects, but no that very much at all.

actually, i've been getting along fine with fcp 5.1 without photoshop but to pick up some feelance work i am always asked about my knowledge of photoshop, and what i have on my system.

i have a feeling i do not need the extended, but want to be sure.
thank you tommyinla.

Tom Marshall
05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, if people are asking you if you know photoshop, I'd be willing to bet that paying extra for the the extended version wouldn't be necessary. :beer:

milksac
05-15-2007, 06:07 AM
to pick up some feelance work i am always asked about my knowledge of photoshop, and what i have on my system.
It would probably pay for itself with one or two jobs.
In today's market Photoshop knowledge is required for editors. If the client has an eps file of a logo they need prepared for the edit it's a lot easier and cheaper to have the editor knock it out as opposed to hiring a graphics artist for such a simple task.

Tom Marshall
05-15-2007, 05:19 PM
But he's asking if he needs to spend an extra 500 bucks on the extended version or not, not whether or not he should purchase Photoshop. There are 2 different versions of Photoshop CS3 - CS3 Standard and CS3 Extended.

Matt Grunau
05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
It would probably pay for itself with one or two jobs.
In today's market Photoshop knowledge is required for editors. If the client has an eps file of a logo they need prepared for the edit it's a lot easier and cheaper to have the editor knock it out as opposed to hiring a graphics artist for such a simple task.

That can be done with Photoshop 7. Two jobs may pay for it, bur what does it bring to the table to justify the extra money? Not much, and not enough to warrent a 50% increase in price. There are WAY to many free utilities out there and cheaper software that will accomplish the same thing.

But he's asking if he needs to spend an extra 500 bucks on the extended version or not, not whether or not he should purchase Photoshop. There are 2 different versions of Photoshop CS3 - CS3 Standard and CS3 Extended.

Exactly. I personally wouldn't go the route of CS3 Extended. I can't see the point. I use CS2, and do a hell of a lot of photographic, web, and video design from it. I certainly don't feel like I am missing out because I don't have Extended, nor do I plan on upgrading to CS3 in the near future.

I can do everything I need to do with what I have. Take a look at the features that come only with Extended, and ask yourself if you need them. Chances are, you won't.

I was surprised at how little Extended offered compared to the base. I think Adobe found some cool extras, and rather than act like a real company should, they release two versions. They should have released all the features in one, and raised the price by $100.00. Two versions of Photoshop? That's silly. I've always felt that way about the two versions of software , except for After Effects, but with AE, the is a REAL change in your workflow that could neccesitate the need for the pro versoin.

What's next? Two versions of Premiere? Two versions of Illustrator? Two versions of every product?

Silliness, just silliness.

Adobe is starting to remind me of Sony.

I mean hell, you can get the entire pro video suite which includes the pro versions of both AE and Photoshop, but also includes Audition (I guess now called sound booth) Encore, Premiere Pro, Flash, and more and all that for only 700.00 more than Photoshop CS extended by itself. My next upgrade, THAT's the route I plan to go.

SomewhereinLA
05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Don't forget photoshop element...

milksac
05-16-2007, 04:57 AM
I mean hell, you can get the entire pro video suite which includes the pro versions of both AE and Photoshop, but also includes Audition (I guess now called sound booth) Encore, Premiere Pro, Flash, and more and all that for only 700.00 more than Photoshop CS extended by itself. My next upgrade, THAT's the route I plan to go. Since berniej already has After Effects it might be wise to upgrade to the Creative Suite Production Premium bundle. Everybody's is bundling now. Heck, I don't think you can buy any of Apples apps (FCP, Studio Pro, Soundtrack) as standalone anymore. Take it all or take nothing. With Adobe's pricing structure it's more or less the same marketing plan - buy it all for less.

Capt Quirk
05-16-2007, 05:15 AM
I guess the real question is- What does the extended version offer for video? I'm still using 7, and might move up to cs3, might not. That vanishing point looks interesting, but I'm not planning to buy it for video. That's why I have Premiere.

oneinfiniteloop
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I guess the real question is- What does the extended version offer for video? I'm still using 7, and might move up to cs3, might not. That vanishing point looks interesting, but I'm not planning to buy it for video. That's why I have Premiere.

I just tested out the new Vanishing Point integration with AE the other night and I was giggly as a schoolgirl. It makes 3d projection stuff so much easier. Basically you set up your planes in PS in Vanishing Point, then export a .vpe file then when you import the file all the planes are set up in 3d space according to the vanishing point planes.

CS3 Extended also has the ability to import 3d models, which is nifty, I'm sure I'll find use for it someday. It's kind of neat being able to move your models in 3d space to test out different comps, etc. It would be super nice if AE could do that.

patssle
06-15-2007, 06:05 PM
theres a very popular plugin for after effects that lets you import 3d. Zazwerks 3d invigorator.

Matt Grunau
06-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I just tested out the new Vanishing Point integration with AE the other night and I was giggly as a schoolgirl. It makes 3d projection stuff so much easier. Basically you set up your planes in PS in Vanishing Point, then export a .vpe file then when you import the file all the planes are set up in 3d space according to the vanishing point planes.

CS3 Extended also has the ability to import 3d models, which is nifty, I'm sure I'll find use for it someday. It's kind of neat being able to move your models in 3d space to test out different comps, etc. It would be super nice if AE could do that.

Can you post an example of the Vanishing point thingy? That does sound like it would be a very handy thing indeed. And I take it you can do a dirty camera match motion for a little rotation as well? Or, it is best just for static camera footage?

What would the workaround be with CS2, I wonder? Set up your texture for vanishing point, but don't actually apply it, and then in AE alter it in 3D space?

And I just noticed that the Video Production bundle from Adobe now includes Illustrator as well. 7 programs for $1,700. That's pretty damn cool.

milksac
06-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Can you post an example of the Vanishing point thingy?
There's an example on Lynda's site.
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=411

g0ldenb0y55
06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
What's next? Two versions of Premiere? Two versions of Illustrator? Two versions of every product?

Silliness, just silliness.

Windows Vista....

oneinfiniteloop
06-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Can you post an example of the Vanishing point thingy? That does sound like it would be a very handy thing indeed. And I take it you can do a dirty camera match motion for a little rotation as well? Or, it is best just for static camera footage?

What would the workaround be with CS2, I wonder? Set up your texture for vanishing point, but don't actually apply it, and then in AE alter it in 3D space?

And I just noticed that the Video Production bundle from Adobe now includes Illustrator as well. 7 programs for $1,700. That's pretty damn cool.

I'll try to toss something together this weekend. Working on a spot for film out which is taking major time, but I'll try to squeeze this in during a break. I tried it out with a still of a building, having tried footage yet.

For CS2 you would cut up the image into the 3d planes then arrange them in 3d space in AE. Vanishing Point files save lots of time in this process. I only wish you could choose the output file type instead of being locked to PNG. My only concern is working with HDR images, but I guess you can get the free fnordware PNG plug-in to maintain the 32 bit files...something to look into.

Matt Grunau
06-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I'll try to toss something together this weekend. Working on a spot for film out which is taking major time, but I'll try to squeeze this in during a break. I tried it out with a still of a building, having tried footage yet.

For CS2 you would cut up the image into the 3d planes then arrange them in 3d space in AE. Vanishing Point files save lots of time in this process. I only wish you could choose the output file type instead of being locked to PNG. My only concern is working with HDR images, but I guess you can get the free fnordware PNG plug-in to maintain the 32 bit files...something to look into.

Thanks oneinf.

If you are working with standard video, why the concern about 32 bit images? You can't light a scene in AE with HDR, or can you? I wouldn't have thought that possible, but with the advances they are making, who knows?

I'll be interested in whatever you have time to put out. Don't spend a lot of time doing it, and for f*ck's sake, don't take time away from your work. When you get it done, do it.

And when are you gonna post some killer stuff of C4D in the 3d section? You know you want to . . .

Translation, you know I want you to.

Thanks for your time chief.

M

oneinfiniteloop
06-24-2007, 07:06 AM
I was thinking the 32bit for taking bracketed stills to comp in with 3d objects, not actual moving footage. I tested it out really quick yesterday and it worked really well.

As for killer C4D stuff...I'm working on some cool stuff I can post once they are made public.

Isaac_Brody
06-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Googled vanishing point tutorials. Great clone tool.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/tt-cs2/vanishing-point-tutorial.html

logic108
07-07-2007, 11:31 AM
PS CS3 extended is indeed amazing. I like how easy it is to blend a video layer with an image layer. The render feature is cool and robust. Basically I think the way PS cs3 Ex works with video is far far superior to othe PS versions. We will see some nice work come out of PS CS3 on the video side I'm sure.

Kubrick71
07-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Googled vanishing point tutorials. Great clone tool.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/tt-cs2/vanishing-point-tutorial.html

Dang that's a sweet site! A lot of useful tutorials for photoshop!