PDA

View Full Version : "The Spy Who Fed Me"

gaer42
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM
http://www.archonfilms.com/images/filmpageimages/the-spy-who-fed-me/spywhofedmeposter.jpgWell I have some pictures from the set... We ended up shooting at Jungle Vino on West 1st street in Reno. The owner is very accommodating... Let us have the run of the place for over 8 hours...

I will be adding some images to this post so you can see them off the bat.

May 11th 2007---------------
The principal shooting is done and we are now working on some reshoots and the editing. There were some issues with some of the color, and we are working them out now. So Far So Good though. Here are a few pictures of the primary cast and crew. I will be putting up more later.
http://www.archonfilms.com/z/for%20dvxuser/may11.jpg

Matt Sconce
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Sounds Hilarous! I look forward to seeing the journaling of how this progresses.

gaer42
05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Well actually it has progressed quite a bit already... I had some issues signing up for DVXUSER... I think Yahoo was having issues... But I am only going to give little tidbits here and there to keep everyone in suspense.

I will tell you this The film is completely cast, and I have already gotten several locations locked with the city of Reno as well as a few local business's who were hella cool about lending their establishments out for free for 6 to 10 hours. (Even agreed to screen it once this contest is overwith). So if any one else is in reno and wants to hook up after the fest is over maybe do a double triple or quad showing let me know, Ill see what we can do.

My cast consists of

Male: Mr. Robin
Female: Tina
Female: Amber
Female: Midge
Male: Sergy the Scientist
Female: Cass A. Blanka <-Yes pun intended although I will most likely be cutting all her dialogue and possibly her scene for this festival>
Male: Vicious <-He is bad... no need for a last name>

I will get some pics up of these characters ASAP.

Ted Arabian
05-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Congrats on the entry... I love the title!!!

And very cool about the folks in Reno lending a hand. Very cool of them!

Happy Shooting!

-Ted

Dahopafilms
05-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Just this title alone will force me to watch.

That and the Reno locations.

Good luck.

gaer42
05-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I just got ahold of someone to do the music for the film. He did the music for my last film "Never Everything" and after weeks of e-mails he has gotten back to me with interest in this project. I just hope he has enough time to put something together for me. If not I have some stock music I will be using, but I would rather an origional score.

gaer42
05-17-2007, 04:46 AM
Got a nice rough cut together... Question... Does anyone know a good tutorial on how to do muzzle flashes... I have very very limited knowlage as far as after effects go...

Also I would like to upload some music for you all to hear... (Got my composer to send me some good sounding stuff) and was wondering if there is a way to embed it in the post or do I have to link it?

cinealma
05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
videocopilot.com has excellent AE VFX tutorials. If you're looking for something free and basic, search youtube. Or you might even do a search here, there's more than likely at least a couple of threads that deal with the subject.

DJ Lewis
05-17-2007, 10:09 AM
If you haven't discovered it yet, check out detonation films' site. The free downloads will work in a no budget squeeze.

http://www.detonationfilms.com/free_stuff.htm

gaer42
05-25-2007, 04:57 AM
The film is done.. Had a hell of a time trying to create the muzzle flashes considering I have 0 experience in AFX, but they look hella good.

I have cut the full product down from 11 min to 5.5 min and am working on some film effects to give it more of a girtty look. I am not sure if I want it to just look grungy or noir like..... we will see when the 7 hours of rendering are done.

Hopfuly I will have more pictures to post tonight.... just been busy with this film and the other 2 projects that I have been working on.

JOE BLO
05-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Congrats on pulling off the muzzle flashes. I look forward to seeing your film.

gaer42
05-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Went to do some pick up shots Saturday... and to shoot a few extra scenes... (The script is 12 pages long and I had to cut it for the festival.... I cut 2 fight scenes, 1 character, a chase scene, and one pointless scene) which will be added to the film after the festival.. making the extended version a little over 12 min.... Although, unlike peter jackson, I will not be releasing this in a 3 disk set with a billion 2 min interviews on how we did stuff... but I will be making a bunch of stuff available on my site when this is all said and done such as how we did the bullet wounds, the preshoot choreographing, and auditions for certain characters.

Besides that we have some footage of when the cops thought we were going to rob the building we were by because of the guns and the big duffle bags for some of the equipment.... That was fun to explain.... we also have over 800 photos that will be put up.... eventually.

I will get some more of the pictures up here as soon as possible... but I needs some rest... feel like a chicken that just lost his head.

gaer42
05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I wanted to give everyone a peak at the poster I will be using for the film....

Let me know what you think.
http://www.archonfilms.com/images/filmpageimages/the-spy-who-fed-me/spywhofedmeposter.jpg

Matt Sconce
05-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Cool poster, but I noticed you spelled Rifle Rifel?

gaer42
05-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Completely on purpose... just wanted to see who was paying attention....

No serriously.. thanks... its funny the number of people who have seen the poster within the film and no one has noticed that yet...

Matt Sconce
05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
No Prob. I spelled "Of" wrong once.... "UV" I knew it looked wrong but I couldn't figure out why. I am glad I could help! :thumbup: :beer:

BarflyProductions
06-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Sure, you drink all my beer last night and get my credit wrong. Why do I bother making business cards.

Ken Locke (http://www.barflyproductions.com)... remember the name jerky.

Coming up next... All Tards Go To Heaven.

gaer42
06-02-2007, 12:48 PM
What happened to "Short Bus"... and as for the beer... I felt bad... It was lonly so I wanted to keep it company...

Your credit will be corrected... what was it Ken "The Tard" Locke? No serriously I will correct it.

So whos going to play Thor?

Norm Sanders
06-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey fun poster, and look forward to seeing your film! I notice you used the poster edge artistic filter in Photoshop for that? It's what I used for our poster as well, which made me at the last minute decide to give our entire film a look that was inspired by that and SCANNER DARKLY.

Anyway, cool look & can't wait to see your film tomorrow!

Keystoned
06-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah I do like that poster.

You should put it in the first post on the thread.

The film looks like fun and you guys seem to have a pretty good sense of humor from the thread here, so looking forward to it :beer:

Haha, when I glance at the title I always read it as "The Spy Who F'ed Me", lol. Just shows where my head is at I guess.
"Hello. Paging Dr. Freud."

Dahopafilms
06-04-2007, 01:55 PM
OK - this was very clever. You had me wondering about the title throughout.

******Spolier warnings below*************

Loved the black & white bracketing at the beginning and the end. The actors were great - your male lead was perfect (never liked him from the get-go and was pleased with his "end"). Really liked the waitress, too - very believable - very good actress.

Liked the male lead's sprinting along the side of the building to catch up and then slowing and walking normally as he rounds the corner.

Nice locations. Great diner (now I want to eat there).

In the "things I wasn't sold on" category, I thought the dispatching of the spy girl with briefcase was a little predictable - as was the fight with the three thugs. But I thought the rest of the short more than made up for that.

Truly enjoyed this one. Nice job.

BarflyProductions
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
It looks great, Tim. We had a great time with the shoot. Whatya say to celebrating with some steaks on Friday?

james_marie
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Great Job Tim!! :thumbup: It only took us people that live out in the Boonies 3 hours to download it but it was worth it. Those are some awful cute kids in that film there:) LOL.

Seriously...It looks GREAT and the Music is Awesome. You sure do work Magic!! Congratulations!! and thanks for allowing our family the joy of working with you!!

The Voorhees Family:dankk2:

Mike@AF
06-05-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm trying to watch your film but it freezes on me in the beginning right when you hear the first gunshots. I downloaded it twice. Anyone else having this problem? All the other films play fine. I'm using a G5 with the OS X 10.4.9 and the latest QT 7 Pro. I also get the same result on my MacBook Pro.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm trying to watch your film but it freezes on me in the beginning right when you hear the first gunshots. I downloaded it twice. Anyone else having this problem? All the other films play fine. I'm using a G5 with the OS X 10.4.9 and the latest QT 7 Pro. I also get the same result on my MacBook Pro.

I'm getting jerky playback throughout! I have the latest version of QT Pro, every other film (once downloaded) has played flawlessly.

I won't review it until I can watch it properly.

Any ideas?

Mike

chris f
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmmkr

I'm getting jerky playback throughout! I have the latest version of QT Pro, every other film (once downloaded) has played flawlessly.

I won't review it until I can watch it properly.

same here, i'm watching on my macbook, 10.4.9, quicktime pro

Hootzie
06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Great movie my friend! Male lead was rockin...especially the thug scene with the spin move! Looked great.....good one!

Larry Rutledge
06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately there was a problem with the copy of the file I pushed to the mirrors initially. The original submitted copy played fine, but the mirror copies had issues.

As a result, I have cleared the file off all the mirrors and then re-pushed the original film out to them. I then downloaded the film a couple times (which hit a couple different mirrors) and it played fine for me.

If you had trouble with this film, please re-download it now.

Thanks,
Larry

bosindy
06-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I liked the male lead in this, he has a great voice. I liked the way he delived the lines reminded me a bit of Thomas Hayden Church. Congrats.

gaer42
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
In the "things I wasn't sold on" category, I thought the dispatching of the spy girl with briefcase was a little predictable - as was the fight with the three thugs. But I thought the rest of the short more than made up for that.

Truly enjoyed this one. Nice job.

Thanks, I aprecieate the comments.... There is actually a much longer version of this film.. I had to actually shoot some scenes just for the festival to get it down to the correct size... There is quite a struggle between the two in the full version... the fight is quite gritty to.... It was a lot of fun to shoot as it was my first full fight scene to shoot.....

I will be posting the full film once this festival is over.... Assuming I survive the cast party... LOL

gaer42
06-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Here are some behind the scenes shots of "The Spy Who Fed Me"

http://a526.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/44/l_27ee915951264b55f589ecefce6aa6bd.jpg

We were setting up for the Face Plant.....

http://a629.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/28/l_882d637edfa37efb472d241f17aa55ec.jpg

Dad of 3......

http://a655.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/34/l_68803db27fe65f0470a32c3a0cd8ef66.jpg

Nap Time.....

http://a949.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/22/l_00916196afd6925df2325fab250362ac.jpg

Prop gun number 3...... the other one.... had an unfortunate demise..... CONNOR!!!!!

http://a965.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/33/l_18e20396fa307edb24bb610f94a116ac.jpg

Lady in Black.....

http://a521.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/12/l_1fb3c3c1df0d434c2e4e58ed91c20528.jpg

This scene is actually not in the short version on DVX..... Once the fest is over you can see how this scene turned out... I love it... lots of action... and floaties...

http://a358.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/34/l_9eee426f3f518afa6e97ca2f142c6535.jpg

This is the work of a kidney vampire..... No actually these are bullet holes created by our very talented Makeup artist Amanda Martinko.... (from another scene in the longer version of the film) She comes all the way from up by Portland to Reno just to work with us...... YEah!!!!!! Plus she can party like a rock star.!

cinealma
06-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I think this one has a lot of potential. Glad to see you are going to flesh this out more after the fest. The sound was bit to "lively" for me to shake the "video" effect. I like the story and the actors played their parts well.

Good job. Thanks for screening.

arielman
06-08-2007, 06:11 PM
This was very good .Just liked everything about this short.
The actors who played Robin and the waitress were great!
In my top 3 for sure.
Ian

Michael_Petro
06-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Your lead actor rocks the house... see if he would like to film in fl :beer:

Norm Sanders
06-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Film started out fine, but what the heck was going on with the stutter issue, visually? Infor showed film was an odd 16FPS ... trying to play at 30+. Storyline was fine, but the acting was coming across sub par in many spots, with the best performances being from the lead. I didn't get the fact that it seemed to end as he was walking away (after getting the brief case), since we saw end credits begin ... almost seems like the actual end of the film was more of an afterthought/fix?

Eek! I just looked back at the posts above, and this film's working REALLY well for everyone but me. I'm stoked for anyone that got into this fest, as it seems like many ran into issues or something else that prevented them from competing, but this had some issues for me, as noted above. Sorry!

kurtmo
06-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Was the frame rate issue due to variable frame rate encoding? It seemed like Spies Girls encoded similarly.

I really liked the acting in this one. Nice twist in the end.

Thanks for sharing this.

Edgen
06-10-2007, 11:43 AM
My Thoughts:

I just could not get past the framerate thing. From what I did see, i liked the lead's performance. I would like to see a version without the jitter.

cheers!
/j

gabrielflorit
06-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Ooooh, loved the twist at the end. Although I must say that when I saw her bring food, I knew he'd end up poisoned. But that's OK. Standard fare for spy movies.

BTW, great looking short! Beautiful photography.

gaer42
06-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Thanks for all the feed back... Its good to hear that many of you liked the film.

Frame Rate: I had to cut the frame rate to get it to the correct size... I had a lot of issues getting it under 40 megs.... and did not get it there until I did that.. but after downloading many of the others that were a little over 40.... I probably should have left it as is at a 46 meg file... (Things to remember).

As for the film itself... I am actually putting the 5 min of footage that I had to cut for this festival back into the film and I am going to smooth out the audio a little better and some of the color correction will be re-visited. There is a whole fight scene between Robin and The female spy (amber) that got cut. Plus there was a lot of dialogue (which I may end up leaving cut... or even cut some more to make it move a little faster)

With that all said I would like to thank everyone who watched the film, and I would like to thank DVXUSER.COM for allowing me to participate in this festival, as it gave me a chance to learn and grow as a film maker... You learn so much from doing, and I probably would never gotten into any action films if I had not been invited to join this festival...

Expect many more from me (so long as multipul cameras are allowed.... I do love my cannon..)