PDA

View Full Version : Vinten Vision 10

Deano
04-28-2007, 01:37 AM
I was thinking about buying a used vinten vision 10 and was wondering if it was suitable for a fully loaded 15lb HVX rig? (DOF adapter mattebox etc) I can't seem to see a review anywhere but see that it's a work horse of the rental houses. Are they obsolete? I don't see them new to buy only the Vision 8 or 11? Has the cartoni focus f102 superceded it? Anywhere in the SF Bay area you could recommend for tripod purchase?

Thanks

Dean

Gopher_Greene
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
IMO the Cartoni is a better head. I use a vinten quite a bit and we always have to be careful with the camera because the lock offs have worn out. I also like the movment better on the cartioni. Again JMO.

Tom Wills
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I love the Vinten Vision 10. If it's in good shape, it's a beautiful tripod. I've used one, and it was way overkill for my 8 pound rig, but for a fully loaded rig, it might do well. It certainly balances an ENG camera well. It's a heavy-duty rig, and will pretty much hold anything you put on it. I've never used the Focus, but I can't imagine that a tripod of that level can contend with what was a very expensive, high end tripod, which can support somewhere around 40 pounds.

It's not built for light cameras, though, so be careful. You might want to get something lighter weight if you'll be mounting the HVX alone on there. My "baby-ENG" kit (a well-loaded DVC60) was way too light for the counterbalance, even when it's at it's lowest setting.

Deano
04-30-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks Guys you've helped me make my decision,

If I was more experienced and knew what to look for I'd buy the used Vinten but since I don't know my ass from my elbow so couldn't tell if it was in good shape or not then I'll probably go for the Carton F102 since it seems to be a well reviewed sub 2k tripod, although it's not as solid as the Vinten and has some drift back issues, I think it'll be a good starting point until I really know what to look for.

Thanks again

Dean