PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Photoshop with video images???

imseth
04-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Ok i know this is a really dumb question, but how do you get lets say a ten second clip into photoshop ? And after that do you have to manicure everyframe or is there an easy way to apply a mask or filter to all of the frames you imported?
Thanks in advance!!

Matt Grunau
04-19-2007, 09:44 PM
There are no dumb questions, just people looking to learn.

You can certainly do what you are wanting using batch processing. You set up an Action, something like applying a vignette, or adding specific Photoshop filters, and then use that Action on all your frames using the File>Automate>Batch process.

But you have to set up your action first. An Action is simply a recorded set of manipulations in Photoshop. set up the one you are wanting for just one pic, bring up your batch processing, and sit back and watch as Photoshop does its thing.

imseth
04-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Ok so I tried that and it says that there are no source files in the folder that I am trying to batch .... How do I bring a .mov into Photoshop?

Matt Grunau
04-20-2007, 10:27 PM
you don't. You export your .mov into a series of .tga or .png files, into a folder you want. Then you can batch process.

imseth
04-20-2007, 10:43 PM
oh gah you rock thanks I will try it out now im such a noob haha

imseth
04-22-2007, 01:52 PM
hmmm you might have to hold my hand and walk me through this process it doesnt seem to work... or if you know of a good tutorial about it I can check that out.

Matt Grunau
04-22-2007, 06:34 PM
It's very simple. You take your footage from you editing program, and export or render not as a video file, but as a series of still images, one for each frame. You put them in a folder. Then, in Photoshop, you use Batch process (which means you really have to have an action set up to work it) and you apply an action to the folder containing the still frames.

Then, you will be asked by Photoshop if you want to replace the frames with the altered ones, or if you which to create a new set of altered frames. I always choose the second. I like to have my originals in tact.

I can't really walk you through it but it is really a simple process. Just export you movie as still images, make action in Photoshop to do what you want, and use the batch process which will prompt you for not only the original set of files, but also the action you which to have applied.

Then, you choose a destination folder and your images/files are altered and stored.

Look up Batch processing in the Help menu, and play a little, and you will be fine.

It's not that hard, I'm sure you are up to it.

Matt

imseth
04-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I guess what you are saying first is my biggest problem. I am using fcp and I am trying to export jpgs which is giving me one png file but then photoshop wont open it?

Tom Marshall
04-23-2007, 02:29 PM
You don't want to export as jpeg files. png or, even better, tiff files are fine. I've never used FCP, but in the export options, there should be a range or something. What is the size of the file that's exported?

imseth
04-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Ok so I got all the little files in one folder and now im kinda disapointed, because what I am gathering from the first reply about using the batch proccess to import them into PS, is that all you can choose from the batch is about 10 effects that you can put on these frames...is this true?

Tom Marshall
04-23-2007, 10:27 PM
You can do anything you want with the effects. You just have to create an custom action if there isn't a preset one from Adobe.

lhmaloney
05-02-2007, 06:37 AM
you probably already answered this I didn't have time to look. When you apply the effects to each frame, then what. Will it apply them to a video file and leave it as a video file, or will it break the video down frame by frame and if that's the case, how do you put it together.

Tom Marshall
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
You reimport back into your NLE or effects program as an image sequence.

Ming
05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Explain what you're trying to do please rather than wasting everyone's time and energy. Chances are it's been done and can be spelled out or a tutorial can be pointed to.

Chances are good that the effects you want are in FCP already, or may be a simple plugin or can be done in motion.

Noel Evans
05-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Explain what you're trying to do please rather than wasting everyone's time and energy. Chances are it's been done and can be spelled out or a tutorial can be pointed to.

Chances are good that the effects you want are in FCP already, or may be a simple plugin or can be done in motion.

And Id suspect its much more efficient.

Gord.T
05-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Here's something I answered awhile back that may still be of use to you.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=84743

yia
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
please some body

post a video tutorial on here

milksac
05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Explain what you're trying to do please rather than wasting everyone's time and energy.
Now you've ruined everything. Taken all the mystery out of it. DVXuser was going to have a big contest guessing what type of effects work Imseth was doing. The prize was going to be a gallon of Turtle Wax.

Tom Marshall
05-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Now you've ruined everything. Taken all the mystery out of it. DVXuser was going to have a big contest guessing what type of effects work Imseth was doing. The prize was going to be a gallon of Turtle Wax.

I would only compete if it was the newer Turtle wax formula. The older one just wasn't that good...